Probably easy problems to fix!

renegadeandy

15 posts in this topic

Ok I have a couple of problems.

Got a cheap IMac Mini version 2 of a friend.

It has got a username and password - we dont know what they are.

I downloaded a couple of Tiger installation discs, pop em in and hold c, it spins up for a while, then crashes to a black screen with a flicker " _ " for a and nothing else happens.

Some of the other installation discs i downloaded just head straight over to the login screen, as if they were discarded.

What can I do!

Is there anyway to get into the computer and install from within the current Tiger Install? Or failing that - why wont the install discs work!

Thanks guys

Andy

boot into single user mode, (tap F8 as the computer boots, then type "-s" at the commandline).

type mount -uw / , hit enter

type rm /var/db/.applesetupdone , hit enter

type shutdown -r now , and and the computer will reboot

guided setup will run, and you can set up your own account.

you are restarting the computer, and tapping F8 and nothing happens? tap like crazy then. :(

you must be able to boot into single user mode to do this.

Command-S, oh it's a mac. lol

the commands should work the same after you boot into single user mode.

let me know how it goes.

I type /sbin/mount -uwIt does a few things, then i type:rm /var/db/.applesetupdoneIt says override rw-------- root/wheelfor var/db/.applesetupdone - i hit y and then enter,it says : Read only file systemI then restart and nothign happens. I suppose the key statement is ^^ that one!Help help help!Ok finally got it to work! Nice thanks.Anyhow, wot version do i need to download to get a fresh install now?The versions I have either a)cos kernal panics or b)Say they are not supported by this macintosh.it is a :Apple Imac Mini1.66ghz intel duo core512mb RamWhat version should i be looking to download - as I cannot seem to get it right.

You should probably try to get the retail discs of OSX 10.4. Makes sure to get the PPC versions if the Mac is PPC or else Intel versions.

Or Just go buy them from a store

BTW (I searched for OS X retail at demonoid and well what can I say.....)