StarCraft...???

plasm

21 posts in this topic

OK, so I get the StarCraft X patch, so StarCraft will run in OS X without Classic, Rosetta emulates the install and all the files are there. So, I run it and I get the screen resolution settings, I click Run and then it just quits...Just wondering if any people could clarify why...I figured since I could run this pretty fast on a 200 Mhz Beige G3 running OS 8.1 a few years ago, I could get it to run at least on OSx86 :(

Edited by plasm

OK, so I get the StarCraft X patch, so StarCraft will run in OS X without Classic, Rosetta emulates the install and all the files are there. So, I run it and I get the screen resolution settings, I click Run and then it just quits...Just wondering if any people could clarify why...I figured since I could run this pretty fast on a 200 Mhz Beige G3 running OS 8.1 a few years ago, I could get it to run at least on OSx86 :)

What version of OS X x86 are you using???

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully Blizzard will port this and Diablo II, as both still get occasional patches

yep diablo II is no go either... Someone has to flood their forum to release an univ bin for War3, Diablo II and Starcraft while we are at it, now that they are planning a univ bin patch for WoW (though it works fine on Rosetta already...) :(

yep diablo II is no go either... Someone has to flood their forum to release an univ bin for War3, Diablo II and Starcraft while we are at it, now that they are planning a univ bin patch for WoW (though it works fine on Rosetta already...) :)

I am actually wondering if this isn't has anything to do with SSE2... Well Doug will be able to help us around there ! (see my other post).

Well, this doesn't work for me yet. I used the JaS-patched 1111 ISO to do it. What I don't know is, does this patch emulate SSE3 on SSE3-equipped systems? If so, I have to find some way to undo the patch. Maxxuss' website says no, not SSE2 is used if it supports SSE3. So if that's the case, then Starcraft must just be broken in 10.4.3 or something.

Currently, I'm downloading the 1111A update from Maxxuss to see if the updated Rosetta with Altivec instructions helps.

Or maybe it's the Intel graphics. I'll find out about that when my X600 comes.

Edited by Doug the Impaler

• 4 weeks later...

Just because I felt like tinkering, I re-installed Starcraft on my Dell.

Then I noticed something I hadn't noticed before.

The icon has a big circle-with-a-line-through-it superimposed. Something must be telling the OS ahead of time that this isn't going to work right.

But supposedly it still runs OK on real Macs. sigh.

Just keep flooding the Blizzard forums with unibin requests for SC, War3, and D2. It's the only way they'll know the port is in demand

what's frustrating is that Diablo2's performance on a real PPC Mac isn't all that great. Ever install Diablo 2 on a G4-based system and try to do the "/players 8" tag? it's laggy as all get-out, yet in Windows it's just fine, even on older PentiumIII machines.

Just because I felt like tinkering, I re-installed Starcraft on my Dell.

Then I noticed something I hadn't noticed before.

The icon has a big circle-with-a-line-through-it superimposed. Something must be telling the OS ahead of time that this isn't going to work right.

But supposedly it still runs OK on real Macs. sigh.

Just keep flooding the Blizzard forums with unibin requests for SC, War3, and D2. It's the only way they'll know the port is in demand

what's frustrating is that Diablo2's performance on a real PPC Mac isn't all that great. Ever install Diablo 2 on a G4-based system and try to do the "/players 8" tag? it's laggy as all get-out, yet in Windows it's just fine, even on older PentiumIII machines.

War3 will eventually be ported, although it runs pretty well under Rosetta from what I saw (a bit slow since i am on SSE2, but i guess it's a lot faster on a SSE3 processor ; you should definitly give it a try so we know if we have to spam Blizz or not :)).

About Diablo 2, yeah I know it runs like {censored} on a real Mac, but I read on their forum they are planning on improving PPC OGL support within the future so it'll run a lot better (commenting about someone asking for an UB of it), even under Rosetta. Hell, it runs even flawlessly on Windows 98 (!), an old Celeron 450MHz and a 3Dfx Voodoo 2.

About StarCraft, I doubt they'll "intelize" it, really, how can this game runs like {censored} under Rosetta on a real Imac ? :)))

Blizzard is all about making money : since doing an UB of SC is a waste of money for them, they surely won't do an UB of it.

Anyway, a big circle-with-a-line-through-it you say ? Well I have experienced the same with WoW using Rosetta (you know like me it won't work...) and I used to have that icon : from what I think, it seems OSX remembers apps that won't work on your OSX installation and will simply display a big reg cross, that's all :) Oh, I wonder if the game might magically run thanks to the new (PPC of course) StarCraft patch. Probably not since the bug isn't coming from the game but from the hacked Rosetta, but you never know, it worth a try (I don't have SC for MAC so I won't be able to try this).

I read someone's post on a different forum who has a real Intel iMac and he said that Starcraft runs great... If no one can get it working then perhaps 10.4.4 introduced some changes that improved Rosetta compatibility? I've still got 10.4.1 on my machine but once I put 10.4.3 on it I'll try SC w/ the new 1.13f patch... My system has SSE3 so *hopefully* it will work?

I read someone's post on a different forum who has a real Intel iMac and he said that Starcraft runs great... If no one can get it working then perhaps 10.4.4 introduced some changes that improved Rosetta compatibility? I've still got 10.4.1 on my machine but once I put 10.4.3 on it I'll try SC w/ the new 1.13f patch... My system has SSE3 so *hopefully* it will work?

It does work under a real imac, that's for sure (we did know that ! :D).

Now it seems the only reason it doesn't run on 10.4.3 is because Maxxuss didn't crack properly the TPM chip on the rosetta executable, so it does crash occasionaly (Rosetta, that is).

So it shouldn't work on your PC, even with SSE3 since you would obviously have to apply that ANTI-TPM patch.

Too bad, but you can never know, maybe even with the future hacked 10.4.4 it still won't work.

I am pretty sure if Maxxuss wanted to fix this thing, he could, but he doesn't seem to care anymore about 10.4.3 and he would be right since everybody is working on how to crack 10.4.4 now, and eventually, they'll work on that bug if it still occurs.

Still, you can enjoy Warcraft 3, that's better than nothing :dev:

• 2 weeks later...
It starts for me, but then crashes the last thing it said it was doing according to the debug was accessing the cdrom, there was no cd in tho I was using a dmg as a virtual drive so I'm now burning it and I'm going to try again I neeeeeed my starcraft ;)

Which video card do you use and which version of OSX?

• 2 months later...

I got the 10.4.1 Marklar-tiger.iso

... and i can only get to the screen settings menu :-/ nothing comes after that.. :(

Uhh... I'm forced to play SC on Linux now, since im lacking XP :-/ (which means i have to install linux again-i accadently lost 160gb of data when i installed OS X86)

neways... SC works Fine under Wine :)

• 3 weeks later...
works with ATINDRV on my X1600 :D

pardon my ignorance but isnt ATINDRV an EFI kext? How can you load it? Although, I must confess I havent been paying much attention to the ATI driver developments recently

pardon my ignorance but isnt ATINDRV an EFI kext? How can you load it? Although, I must confess I havent been paying much attention to the ATI driver developments recently

Check that boris' post if you have an ATI X1600 or X1800. EFI isn't the prob. At least to get it running :)

Else, you are stuck :/