Kalyway OSX86 10.4.10 Installer

BJMoose

242 posts in this topic

Kalyway's installation disk is the best I've seen so far for my Bad Axe 2 system. As long as I'm using USB sound, nothing else seems to be needed. One thing that I haven't seen before shows up in System Profiler. Under graphics it shows CI as "hardware accelerated" instead of simply "supported" as it says for QE. All CS3 software works fine, haven't had a chance to try FCS2 yet. Will try later this afternoon. Any ideas about what "hardware accelerated" means?

Well, it's almost perfect. I installed the full package of FCS2 and all appeared to work fine. I tested Motion and Compressor and they worked as expected. But when I opened Final Cut, it gave me the 'gotta shut down now' notice. So I went to my trusty appleSMBIOS.kext v1.0.6 and swapped it with the Netkas version I originally installed. Not only does Final Cut now work, but that also took care of my Memory slots showing as empty. They now show with dual 2GB dimms as they're supposed to.

So far everything I've installed works and accepts all Apple and Adobe updates. Next I will test installing iLife08 with updates.

@BJMoose

Have u tried a striped raid with 3 or more HDD's?

My bad axe2 have some prob's.

I can buide the RAID set but when when transfering a big amount of data to work With it crashes.

I've tested SATA2 HDD's and tried too with Raptors 74mb that are 10.000rpm SATA1 type and both fail.

Found that RAID sets buid with only 2 HDD's work normaly.

Any idea / sugestion?

Sorry, I don't do raid. I just finished installing and testing iLife08 and iWork08. Loaded a couple of playlists in iTunes and created a mini project in iDVD. They worked as they're supposed to. Played around a bit with iWork and it seems to work well too. Both took all of Apple's updates.

I suppose thats why it only says "Software" for my installation on a gma950 which for some reason appears to be not supported.

antic my dvd is made for clean install ! i haven't test it with upgrade ! so it's maybe the reason why your gma don't work ! perhaps something

go wrong during upgrade !

Strange Safari behavior. Since installing Kalyway 10.4.10 Safari has had some strange issued I can not download the 3 beta (just the word download appears) load up Firefox and can download fine (the little click boxes appear) . I go to my bank www.tdcanadatrust.com and click the now button on the top right (for easyweb) and get a can't open page error (again works perfect in Firefox) so I boot up my uphuck install and sure enough everything with Safari works. anyone else have this with kalyway? Other than that install is great but this has me baffled.

antic my dvd is made for clean install ! i haven't test it with upgrade ! so it's maybe the reason why your gma don't work ! perhaps something

go wrong during upgrade !

I have this problem with a clean instal.

Also been having some problems with Keychain security. It won't save WEP password while setting up wireless access and quite a lot when using Safari

Strange Safari behavior. Since installing Kalyway 10.4.10 Safari has had some strange issued I can not download the 3 beta (just the word download appears) load up Firefox and can download fine (the little click boxes appear) . I go to my bank www.tdcanadatrust.com and click the now button on the top right (for easyweb) and get a can't open page error (again works perfect in Firefox) so I boot up my uphuck install and sure enough everything with Safari works. anyone else have this with kalyway? Other than that install is great but this has me baffled.

I have a similar problem. Safari is having problems opening secure sites( mail.yahoo.com , etc). Firefox opens them ok. I was also wondering why keychain asked for a password on the first time safari was loaded. hhhmmmm...

Installed on a clean partition (i.e. no previous version)

Office 2004 doesn't work after installing this...error about <carbonlib> - seems to be a known problem with 10.4.10

Also my Intel Pro 1000 card stopped working.... See's the card and correct mac address but refuses to DHCP and IP address.

Oh well, Gave up and gone back to uPhuck 10.4.9

I loaded the big stuff first, but I should have checked stuff like Office2004 and Eudora Mail, both of which I use heavily. Apparently, this installation does not implement Rosetta in its fullest capacity. I had the same problems with uphuck's v1.4i and r2. In JaS and v1.4R3 these programs work with no problem. Also, there is an annoying request for keychain password which it doesn't want to remember whenever I login to a website or access a network drive.

Because of these problems, I wouldn't use this version full time, but I still say it's the best attempt at a one disk solution for hardware compatibility on my Bad Axe 2. It seems much more responsive and it boots my flashed gfx card a good 15 seconds faster than either JaS or uphuck. I'll be looking forward to the next revision.

I haven't tried it yet, but here's a link which is supposed to fix the ms office issue (and the problem isn't assocated with Kalyway's release).

It appears to be a problem with java and quicktime.

http://mactip.blogspot.com/2007/07/microso...-as-parrot.html

Give that a try and see if it fixes the ms office problem.

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the tip, but that didn't work. I have 2 other Bad Axe 2 systems almost identically equipped, one running JaS + PascalW and one running Uphuck v1.4iR3 + Koolkal. Both have the 7.2 update for Quicktime and MS Office and Eudora run just fine on them. What's happening here appears identical to what happened with uphuck before he fixed Rosetta in revision 3.

That being said, as we speak, I'm re-installing Kalyway from scratch and will not accept the Quicktime update. Then I'll try to install Office and Eudora and report back. I'd really like this to work because this release shows tremendous promise.

great install. works great!

cons:too much stuff preinstalled and strange little things.

i don't like multi desktop

keychain made me kill safari.

edit:poppy up all over the place. what the heck is heychain and how do i fix it?

harddrives don't show up on desktop and i can't drag them from finder to desktop

apps and stuff ALL over the place. little snitch is not in apps or utility. i ran finder and

found it in the library.

do we need FW-1884 softLCD, what the heck is that?

looks like a really good install disc but kinda sloppy.

edit:after a full day most everything works good. by far the easiest install.

this is the best iso out there that i have tried but i stand by my statement that

it was kinda sloppy with all the apps installed.

Well, so much for that idea. I just discovered it's not an update. 7.2 is the version that comes installed with Kalyway. Guess I'll try again the next time Apple updates Quicktime.

great install. works great!harddrives don't show up on desktop and i can't drag them from finder to desktop
Go to Finder/Preferences and click to show drives on the desktop. That should take care of that.

I tried installing this release 3 times and each time the install went fine, but upon reboot I just get the blue aqua desktop screen. I haven't gotten to the reg screen or setup an account yet. Anyone know what's going on?

Hey PostalDave,

What settings did you use for your install? I have the same mobo as you except mine is the P5LD2-VM-DH version.

Thanks,

Chevy

I tried installing this release 3 times and each time the install went fine, but upon reboot I just get the blue aqua desktop screen. I haven't gotten to the reg screen or setup an account yet. Anyone know what's going on?

Hey PostalDave,

What settings did you use for your install? I have the same mobo as you except mine is the P5LD2-VM-DH version.

Thanks,

Chevy

gma950 driver is broken. Install using gma900. QE & CI do not work

apps and stuff ALL over the place. little snitch is not in apps or utility. i ran finder and

found it in the library.

do we need FW-1884 softLCD, what the heck is that?

Little Snitch installs to your system preferences...look at the bottom row.

FW-1884 is software controller for music/sound editors working with a firewire connection to their FW1884 Controller (outstanding unit BTW)

Hi, thanks for the tip, but that didn't work. I have 2 other Bad Axe 2 systems almost identically equipped, one running JaS + PascalW and one running Uphuck v1.4iR3 + Koolkal. Both have the 7.2 update for Quicktime and MS Office and Eudora run just fine on them. What's happening here appears identical to what happened with uphuck before he fixed Rosetta in revision 3.

That being said, as we speak, I'm re-installing Kalyway from scratch and will not accept the Quicktime update. Then I'll try to install Office and Eudora and report back. I'd really like this to work because this release shows tremendous promise.

I tried the same. It appears that we're broken if we want to run office. I'm wondering if Kalyway optimized the dvd to not include older components. At least I saw a hint that maybe we're missing some files for rosetta from the release which might be causing the problem.

It's a nice install, but if this doesn't get fixed, I'm looking for alternatives since I really need office.

Thanks

-Greg