[Development]-Broadcom 4311 Fix

Achilleus

348 posts in this topic

ugh i sure hope this problem can get fixed...heck who knows maybe people should get a pot of like 5-10$ to the person who comes up with a good fix for it......

i just ended up getting a usb wifi which works but the internal one would be awesome if anyone could get it working properly

If it would help draw more attention to the issue, I'd definitely chip in a 10 spot. What USB wifi solution did you end up going with by the way? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I think I might have an idea how to fix the problem. The card may not be working because it requires firmware. Some how the firmware needs to be obtained and then be used with the driver. Im trying to find out how this would be possible.

You're probably onto something... You can compare this idea to any linux installion. I have Ubuntu 7.10 loaded on a HP NC2400 laptop on which restricted drivers must be used in order to "enable" the wireless cards firmware.

Is there anyway i could edit the source for the iwdarwin project? How would I create the .fw.h files? I have the .fw files that I extracted from the windows drivers.

I do have this card working under Linux, Fedora Core 5. would that help? I believe it was an rpm I found somewhere, I'll have to research it again since I've slept since the. I do recall it was based off some references from Fiesty Fawn

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not out of ideas. I heard somewhere that replacing some kexts with ones with 10.4.3 made this card work. So, I'm going to get a 10.4.3 dvd and first do a 10.4.9 install replacing some kexts with ones from the dvd and if that doesn't work, then I'll install 10.4.3 and go from there.

guys i highly doubt this is an issue with the card, but actually the pci slot itself and i either acpi or apic. i have an acer laptop and 4312 card and it doesn't work. and everyone with the acer 3680 5570 5570z and 5580 has problems with any card working in mac. even in linux booting shows some pci error but somehow the card works. hope this helps. im sure there are certain laptops made by other comp manufacturers with the same issue. and the acer models i referenced above, only the ones with mini pci-e have this issue not the mini-pci ones.

I got impatient and ordered a 1490 card to try for "sh*ts and giggles." If I have more success with this new card than my 1390, I will report on it. I wish that my 1390 worked, but at this point, I'm just tired of being tied to the wall with ethernet.

I just searched "mini 1490" on ebay to find what I needed.

I shall return with comments on my new 1490 when it arrives!

olinboy1, is there anyway you could zip up IONetworkingFamily.kext, IO80211Family.kext, IOPCIFamily.kext, IOACPIFamily.kext, IOI2CFamily.kext, IOPlatformPlugInFamily.kext, and IOPCI2PCIFamily.kext from the 10.4.3 dvd? I am unable to find anyplace to purchase a dvd and bittorrent is too slow. Thanks.

@booger: I can zip up those files for you if you still want to mess around with them, but I really think at this point it is indeed a problem with the mini pci express slot somehow. Would I be able to get these files directly off the install DVD, or would I have to install the OS first and then grab them out of the Extensions folder?

I have successfully done the "pin 20" trick. My card works in WinXP, and the button no longer toggles the card from power to sleep. I wish I could say this makes the card work in OSX, but it still doesn't.

Running DPCImanager http://v4.kazzuya.com/dpcimanager in OSX shows the card in the list of the attached devices correctly, but still I have no card listed in the system information or the network control panel :D wtf!?!

I did recieve my 1490 in the mail that I ordered on ebay. The new card immediately gave me the famous whitelist 104 error in the BIOS bootup... ugh (strange that I never got this with the 1390, it must have come factory installed in some HP dvXXXX along the way). I took a sizable risk and hot plugged the card in after the BIOS posted, hoping at least I could prove that the new card worked in OSX... it did not.

All this to say, I believe there is no other reason for these cards not to work unless there is a problem with the bus they are plugged into.

What is very confusing to me though, is the fact that both of these cards are recognized correctly in DPCImanager. How can it communicate itself as present in the system, but then no amount of editing to kext files makes any difference??

Well, no I don't need the 10.4.3 extensions. But I have reason to believe that this problem has nothing to do with the mini pci express port. I believe that it has something to do with itn requiring firmware, which is usually retrieved from the driver but since the driver contains firmware for a different card, it will not work. Therefore, a new driver would have to be written. But, since the firmware source is unavaliable, I don't see how it could be done. Maybe if we request the source multiple times from Broadcom, they will give us the source (yeah right). But I guess its worth a shot. But, it would also help if we had somebody who really knew there stuff, I know a good amount, but I am no driver programmer. :) But I guess if we get desperate I could somehow attempt to learn C++.

Well, no I don't need the 10.4.3 extensions. But I have reason to believe that this problem has nothing to do with the mini pci express port. I believe that it has something to do with itn requiring firmware, which is usually retrieved from the driver but since the driver contains firmware for a different card, it will not work. Therefore, a new driver would have to be written. But, since the firmware source is unavaliable, I don't see how it could be done. Maybe if we request the source multiple times from Broadcom, they will give us the source (yeah right). But I guess its worth a shot. But, it would also help if we had somebody who really knew there stuff, I know a good amount, but I am no driver programmer. :( But I guess if we get desperate I could somehow attempt to learn C++.

i dont want to just blaintanly say your wrong with regards to the firmware shplick. so i will just say that the 4311 works in plenty of laptops that are not acer or compaq, so it does correctly get recognized and it does usually work. it is definitly the slot.

• 2 weeks later...