cant find virtual disk in uphuck vmware install

4 posts in this topic

i have vmware 6 version

i did what i found on this forum so:

new machine - win NT

disk 8.0GB - allocated already when creating a new virt. machine

added paevm="true"

But how do i run with -legacy option? dont understand

when i try to select a disk to install it wont locate my virtual disk. Any one know a fix?

Also i believe i am supposed to set up the virtual drive as a IDE drive but mine always comes out as a SSEC or whatever.. how do i make it an IDE drive ?

thanks

Yours is coming out as SCSI right?

What you have to do is that you have to create a virtual machine with the Guest OS set to FreeBSD (Other, FreeBSD) and select the hard drive size, networking, blah blah, just do as the step by step virtual machine setup instructions in my guide. Then, once your FreeBSD machine is created, you'll notice that it has an IDE drive. Now, in VMware, click the tab for your FreeBSD virtual machine at the top. Go to VM menu >> Settings. In the dialog box that comes up, click the Options tab at the top. Now, click the Microsoft Windows radio button for the Guest Operating System and choose Windows NT as the version. Click OK. Now the virtual machine should be set to Windows NT, and the hard drive should be IDE as well!

You will have to modify the VMX configuration file again. Follow the steps in my guide.

If you need help mounting the installation DVD to boot from, refer to my guide (gives you instructions on how to set up the VM to boot from the DVD).

How to use -legacy

What you do is: Make sure that the virtual machine is set to boot from the OS X DVD and start the virtual machine. When the "vmware" boot startup logo comes up on the screen, immediately click inside the black virtual machine screen and start tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. If you got the write timing, you should get to a prompt that says:

boot:

Now, type in this at the boot prompt:

-legacy -v

Type it in exactly with the hyphens. Press Enter. You should see a long list of messages and if all goes well, you should eventually get to the OS X installer. If the long list of messages comes and then it stops at some point and the OS X installer does not eventually come up, then you've got a problem. Record the 2 or 3 lines of messages that come before the boot stops and post them up.

All should go well.

Wow thanks lol very detailed. Ill try all of that tommorow or maybe the day after ( way to much homework) ill post my results then. If it still wont work, i have a vm image of a 10.4.7.. ill try to run it then ( tried already and gets kernal panics... figures)

but thanks again

finally got it to reconize the disk and it would install. Only after i set the host os to darwin first though... odd. However after the install where it says it needs to reboot the program freezes. it wont load at all. if i try it will start and after the VMware logo nothing.. in fact it doesnt even say its starting to load the image.. The instal was sucessful and i tried twice. I dont even have time to type in the -legacy at boot.. it looks up within a fraction of a second. I may try to just download the jas image now, unless you have any idea what went wrong... If you have any ideas please post them up.

If it happens to matter , my computer is a dell inspiron e1505, centrino duo 1.83, nvidea 256mb card ( cant remember model) 2 gigs of sd ram

and my os is xp pro