Dell Inspiron E1505 SD Driver (maybe others)

choppy

2 posts in this topic

After installing OS X on my Inspiron Laptop I was in the mood for a bit of a challenge and had always wanted to write a device driver. I decided I wanted to try and write a driver for the SD Card Reader on my laptop. After digging up some data sheets and doing a lot of reading on apple's site this is what I come up with. It's a driver for the SDHCI class of PCI devices(need to add other VID's and DID's to plist file). While it does allow you to read and write from a SD card, it has a long way to go. It does not use interrupts, so if you copy large files to/from the SD card it will be slow, and will almost seem like the computer is locked up until the transfer is finished. I'm sure there are plenty of bugs and doubt it will work with cards over 2GB in size in it's present state. I had started rewriting the driver to use interrupts and clean it up some, but I haven't had a chance to touch it since June. I don't know if I'll ever get around to finishing it up, so I'm putting the driver and it's source as an attachment to this message. Maybe someone can use it, or finish it up. If you do decide to build on this code please treat it as GPL code, and release any improvements you make back to the community.

Choppy

IOSDHCIBlockDevice_Completely_works_via_polling_06_10_2007.zip

• 2 months later...