Installing OSx86 on a External USB Drive

~pcwiz

100 posts in this topic

Yeah but I already have the 10.4.9 kernel from the Uphuck disc preinstalled and thats the kernel thats causing the problems. So I'm replacing the 10.4.9 kernel with the stable 10.4.8 kernel & System.kext from the JaS 10.4.8 disc which will hopefully solve th problems. I'll do the replacement and I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Oh yeah and another thing. How do I get rid of that Keyboard message. I've already installed the USB driver from the Uphuck disc and it didn't make a difference. My keyboard is a ViewSonic USB Keyboard. See here: http://www.viewsonic.com/support/accessori...oards/kbmku206/

EDIT: OK I've replaced the kernel but I'm not gonna replace System.kext yet because I will have to use Pacifist later to extract the System.kext later from the 10.4.8 disc. I tested out in VMware and the kernel replacement hasn't caused any problems so I'll reboot to the External Drive in verbose and see what happens!

It works! I am posting this from Mac OS X! I replaced the kernel and no more kernel panics! Also, I couldn't increase my screen resolution so I installed the Natit X1600 driver from the install disc. I also installed Azalia Audio and PS/2 Driver. I then installed the Intel Pro 100 VE driver as well to get internet working! And the keyboard issue is gone! All I had to do was click the red X button to close the window and it never came up again. So to make long story short, problem solved.

For those of you who want to know whats been going on, here is my info and how I got this to work:

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5ND2-SLI (non deluxe model)

Chipset: nVidia nForce 4 Intel Edition

CPU: Intel Pentium D 830

Video Card: ATI X1650 PRO PCI Express 512MB

RAM: A-Data 1GB DDR2 667Mhz

Audio: Realtek ALC850 Audio Codec

The ISO I used was the Uphuck v1.4iR3 ISO. Here are the options I had to check during installation for my configuration:

* v1.4i Base System

* loginwindow 10.4.4

* Natit X1600

* nForce4 SATA

* USB driver

* PS/2

* Azalia Audio Driver

* Intel Pro 100 VE

Some stuff I had to do after installing to get my OS X to boot:

* Disable Parallel and Serial ports in my computers BIOS

* Boot the drive in VMware and delete the following kexts from the /System/Library/Extensions folder:

- GeForce.kext

- GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

- GeForce3GLDriver.bundle

- GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

- GeForceGA.plugin

- GeForceVADriver.bundle

- NVDAN10Hal.kext

- NVDAN20Hal.kext

- NVDAN30Hal.kext

- NVDAN40Hal.kext

- NVDAResman.kext

* Replace the 8.9.1 kernel installed with Uphuck with the 8.8.1 kernel from the JaS 10.4.8 disc

* Replaced System.kext with the 8.8.1 version from JaS 10.4.8 disc

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*##*

One other issue I'm having is that my PS/2 Logitech Optical mouse doesn't work even after I've installed the PS/2 driver. If anyone could help with that, much appreciated...

Thanks so much to blacknight, chevy2410, BJMoose, codermonkey, and whoever else replied to this post for they're help. Without you guys, I would have given up by now.

I've already gotted rid of the keyboard issue! Didn't you read the above post... Anyway thanks so much. I have some other minor problems:

- My PS/2 Logitech Optical mouse won't work even after I've installed the PS/2 driver

- I need instructions on how to extract System.kext from the 10.4.8 JaS disc using Pacifist because I can't mount DMG files without it.

If you can help with those problmems, much appreciatedOh and I'm not gonna update now. I might later but I don't wanna screw things up...

Thanks again for helping me so much!

pcwiz

Never mind, I replaced System.kext myself and everythings working great. I can mount DMGs too. I had to reformat and reinstall OS X after replacing System.kext but I won't get into the details of that. Anyway everything's working fine.

As for my mouse, I'll just leave it that way, Its not bothering me too much. I still wish that there was a working PS/2 driver for my PS/2 mouse though...I'll try and find one.

EDIT: Another thing. I installed the Front Row program from the Uphuck DVD. How to I open FrontRow?

The key combo didn't work. I have another problem though. Sometimes, just randomly, the computer reboots or it locks up when running OS X. Any suggestions? No kernel panics though. Its just randomly locks up or reboots SOMETIMES.

I think I've solved the lockup problem for now. I noticed that every time it rebooted or locked up, Safari was the active application so I switched to the Opera web browser instead of Safari and I haven't had the problem since! I'll post back if it happens again.

It hasn't happened again so far after I switched to Opera. I don't really need Safari. If it happens again, I'll do what you said.

EDIT: Thanks for replying to my thread again :rolleyes:

I have some other minor problems but I won't bother you anymore. I've set up seperate threads for them in the Post-Installation Forum.

EDIT: Sorry blacknight but there is a tiny issue. If you can help, I've sent you a personal message with the detail ;)

PCWIZ

this the latest kernel for 10.4.10 http://tinyurl.com/2yj2b3 | 8.10.3 intel/sse3/hpet kernel + 8.10.3 system.kext

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the latest kernel for 10.4.9 UNIVERSAL(sse2+sse3) kernel, sleep with sse3 machines only - http://tinyurl.com/yp5bq2 | mirror http://slil.ru/24769168

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the web site http://tinyurl.com is blocked in Saudi Arabia boomer! :wacko::rolleyes: ! so i can not access it.

and i think you already have system.kext for 10.4.9 and you can try the kernel from 10.4.10 in you 10.4.9

I have Uphuck 1.4iR3. I'll try the kernel on my current installation, but that link you gave me was for a full Mac OS X Updater. Could you extract just the kernel and System.kext and upload them to mediafire or something so I could download them? And yes, if I encounter any more problems with Safari, I'll download Beta 3.

Thanks so much

I tried the 8.10.3 kernel. It didn't work. I started up in Verbose and then it loaded the Extensions and just restarted. I have reverted back to the 8.8.1 kernel. Do you still think that I should update? Could the update screw up my install? Maybe I should update to 10.4.10 and then go back to the old kernel... What do you think?

There is a way what you can do is take an image of osx partition using acronis true image and then update to 10.4.10if it screws your osx you could restore the partition.

P.S: you could get acronis true image from demonoid.

note: you could use dd method but acronis can compress the image so that it does not take much space.

I always use acronis before playing with OSX