Installing OSx86 on a External USB Drive

~pcwiz

100 posts in this topic

# v1.4i Main System

# logonwindow 10.4.4

# Remove CPUPowerManagement kext

after the installation reboot and then create an iso image of the files i gave you and then mount using daemon tools so you can access them inside your virtual machine.

Got it. I'll do it in about 20-30 min and I'll post back.
GoodLuck :):D

For every one:you can always use ubuntu to maintain your osx system all you have to do is disabling journaling for your osx partition so that you can read and write inside ubuntu.

OK, historic moment :) I've installed Uphuck on the HD and I've mounted the ISO with the files in it and I'm about to start the virtual machine using the USB HD. Hope this works. VMware is notorious for problems with Uphuck images. Here goes...

It seems like the virtual machine is booting without errors :D You see, a key thing in VMware and native comparisons is that if an installation os OSx86 works in VMware but the same installation does not work native, then this almost always points to a motherboard issue. Yes, not a CPU issue, not a video card issue, but a motherboard issue. Wow, Uphuck is so much faster in VMware than JaS. Urghhh... I have to go through this dumb registration process.....

*OK, I've gone through the registration and it is complete*

*I am in the Mac OS X Desktop*

*Mac OS X USB HD has appeared on the desktop*

*Unzipping the archive with the replacement files*

Oh..that reminds me: What version of OS X are the replacement files from?

*Copying the replacement files to the /System/Library/Extensions folder*

*Replacement complete!*

I am gonna reboot my computer now and hope for the best... Get back to you if it works, hopefully in Mac OS X :D

---->FAILURE once again. This time I got the same error as in Configuration #2 (a bunch of posts back). Atleast I can access the installation from within VMware...Anyone have any more ideas?

OK I'll play with it a bit but can you tell me maybe what options I should be looking at. USB? Hard Drives? What?I checked my MoBo booklet and there are a few USB options. I'll check that out. I can't however see anything else that may be related to my issue. I know this problem must be hard for you and everyone else to solve, so I'm gonna try out suggestions and stuff until Saturday and then I'll return the USB External Drive to the store because installing Mac OS X is the sole purpose I bought it for.Oh and I'll also post another thread to see if people can decode my error screens.

No I haven't removed the GeForce kexts. I'll go into VMware and remove the GeForce kexts I find. I also had another idea: If it is a BIOS configuration error, then since the virtual machine's BIOS works and my computers doesn't, I'll compare the settings and see what I find.

I will look for AHCI and tell you what options there are.

Thanx

Blacknight,

I don't have any AHCI options in my BIOS because my MoBo doesn't support it. See the full specs for my motherboard here:http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asusp5nd2sli/

I am gonna try removing the GeForce kexts in a sec. I'll get back to you on the results of that.

OK, I need help. What files do I delete? There are a few mentioned in the error message:

com.apple.GeForce

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFaily

com.apple.iokit.IONDRSupport

com.apple.NVDAResman

I don't know which ones I should delete. I know that I can delete these:

com.apple.NVDAResman (GeForce related. See here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35422)

com.apple.GeForce (GeForce related. See topic link above)

I also deleted the following GeForce crud from the Extensions folder:

GeForce.kext

GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle

GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

GeForce3GLDriver.bundle

Also wondering, should I just go ahead and delete all the kexts in my Extensions folder for uneccessary hardware that I don't have?

EDIT: Weird problem. I cannot find any of these files:

com.apple.GeForce

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily

com.apple.iokit.IONDRSupport

com.apple.NVDAResman

I searched using Spotlight and I searched manually but I couldn't find them but heres the catch: All these files do exist as kexts in the Extensions folder without the com.apple part. I deleted GeForce and NVDAResman but I'm not so sure about deleting the IO kexts. Any advice on this?

You would not believe this. Mac OS X actually natively booted! But there are still problems. Heres the story.

So I deleted the GeForce kexts and then went ahead and deleted the IO kexts too after booting the drive in VMware. After deleting the IO kexts the VM wouldn't boot so I had to reinstall. I reinstalled Uphuck with the Base System, Remove Power Management, and loginwindow only. Just for the fun of it, I booted OS X from the external drive natively using the -x -v switches (Safe Mode with Verbose). To my amazement, OS X successfully booted into the blue screen but heres when things went wrong. A dialog box came up saying:

Before we Begin...

It said something about being unable to identify the keyboard. Then it asked me to press the key to the right of the left Shift key. In my keyboard, this is the Z key. So I pressed it and a little spinny thing came up (like on the white apple logo screen) and then it froze. So whenever I pressed the key on my keyboard, it froze. My keyboard is a ViewSonic USB keyboard so I thought it had something to do with a USB driver. I then installed the USB driver and booted into safe mode but this time it wouldn't boot. I got a USB error and it didn't boot. So the USB driver screws things up

Next, I tried booting without Safe Mode but then I got that error screen in Configuration #1.

So heres the plan: I install Uphuck with just the base system, remove power management, and loginwindow. Then I boot from VMware and delete the GeForce kexts and not the IO kexts. Will get back with the results

OK, I've reinstalled Uphuck with the base system and remove power management and loginwindow. I'm deleting the GeForce kexts now.

OK, I deleted the GeForce kexts and the GeForce errors are gone but I am getting a new error. OS X freezes with these two lines:

Apple16X50AACP11: Identified Serial Port on ACPI Device=UAR1

Apple16X50UARTSync1: Detected 16550AF /C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200

There is an Apple16X50 kext file in the Extensions folder...maybe I should delete that. Any thoughts?

do not remove any thing related to IO as it is essential to your system only geforce and disable any serial or parallel ports you have .

Some thing else are you familiar with linux ubuntu so you can actually use linux to read and write to OSX partition without the need to boot inside vmware, to do so next time you erase the partition erase it with hfs+ (no journal) and then boot inside to your linux then open the shell then sudo -s

your password cd to your partition and then you can do what ever you want to do (i.e. remove files copy files rename files etc ......).

P.S remove the files Apple16X50.kext after you disable the serials and parallel ports in the BIOS of the PC not the vm .

GOOD LUCK

:rolleyes: :wacko:

Edited by blacknight

I haven't removed the 16X50 kexts yet but I did disable serial and parallel in my BIOS and that fixed the error, but I'll delete the 16X50 kexts anyway. Now the problem is that the system hangs with the line:

No AirPort Driver FoundAny thoughts on this?

There are some AirPort kexts in the Extensions folder I'm pretty sure. Should I delete them?

EDIT: I just read another post and it says to wait 2-10 minutes for it to respond with the AirPort error. I'll try that before delete the 16X50 kexts :blink:

EDIT: Hmm..weird. Now the AirPort thing doesn't come up anymore. This time it hangs at:

Still waiting for root device

Any thoughts?

Alright, Mac OS X booted. That's right but the victory didn't last. Heres the story: I installed the nForce4 driver and the Still waiting for root device error went away but I got a AppleUSBHF error or something like that so I just went ahead and installed the USB driver too. Then, when I booted after installation without verbose mode, Mac OS X successfully booted and the Finder and the Dock and everything came up.

Then, a dialog box saying Before We Begin... or something came up and it said the it was unable to identify the keyboard and to click Continue to start identification. I clicked Continue and a second later the machine locked up. I rebooted again into Mac OS X and this time I did not click the Continue button and the machine did not lock up. I then opened Safari to get to InsanelyMac forums and then it said that the internet connection wasn't working and I clicked the Network Troubleshooting button. Then I got a kernel panic error. I restarted my computer. Now I got a kernel panic before I entered the desktop, at the Starting Mac OS X... screen. I restarted again and then I got a kerne; panic error at the white apple logo.

This is really weird. Its just random kernel panics now. I bet if I rebooted into Mac OS X now, it would boot. What is happening? Could it have something to do with the CPU overheating because I know that my CPU does get quite hot (60-70 degrees C) when running Mac OS X? But that doesn't explain the kernel panics does it?

Anyway..something is unstable and I need help. And that keyboard issue is still there

well try another kernel and don't install all over again just the kernel so do this

sudo -s

pass

then

1- copy your old kernel like this cp /mach_kernel /old

2- copy the new kernel to the root like this cp /location_to_your_new_kernel /

Another thing never boot without -v it is helpfull