IBM Thinkpad T30 10.4.8 Full guide

minus_273

16 posts in this topic

This will get a thinkpad T30 up and running with everything including Quartz Extreme acclerated graphics. Core image will never work so this is now as far as this machine will get to a real mac.

This is intended for Jas 10.4.8 but it might work with other versions too.

On installation the following already work:

1. video

2. sound

3. battery meter management

The on board wifi is will not work with Airport. Grab a linksys WPC54G . I am using a revision 3 one that i got a radio shack in september 2007 for $40 and it uses the correct boradcom chip to work like a normal airport express card.

I have modified and tested all the following extensions to work with the T30. Copy them to your extensions folder, stick in a linksys card and everything should be working. It might be a good idea to do each one at a time.

YOU MUST DO ETHERNET CONFIG BEFORE PUTTING IN THE WIFI CARD!

The attchments fix

1. ehternet (AppleIntel8255x)

copy this to exntensions reboot and ethernet will work

2. PCI bridge (IOPCIFamily, IOPCCardFamily)

copy these two to extenstions, reboot, stick in linksys card and you will see card listed as unkonwn PC card in system info. the light on the card should also turn on

3. Airport support for linksys WPC54G (IO80211Family)

copy this, reboot, make sure you have your linksys card in the slot and you will have full airport support lilke a normal mac.

4. Delete the AppleAirport2.kext from Extensions

Put the card in the BOTTOM PCMCIA slot. Upon reboot airport will be detected when you go to network settings. don't configure it

power off the pcardbus take out the card. put it back in. THE TOP PCMCIA SLOT Now it is fully functional.

Go to intenet connect in Applications to do your intial config of Airport or it will hang. DO NOT CLICK ON THE MENU BAR AIRPORT ICON before going to internet connect.

Finally go to /System/Library/SystemConfiguration and move the exixting powermanagement.bundle to your desktop.

copy the contents of powermanagement.gz to that folder, reset permisssions and reboot. you will now have power management support.

Good luck. The end result should be a VERY stable and usable installation of 10.4.8

[Edit: corrected the power management attachment]

NEW: Quartz extreme! 2d accelerated graphics

follow the instructions on this page to the letter to get QE working.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry388293

IO80211Family.kext.zip

IOPCCardFamily.kext.zip

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

AppleIntel8255x_1_.kext_2.zip

PowerManagement.tar

Used the Top 3 Attached files to enable the Pcmcia card slot to function. Toshiba M30 10.4.6. Have a Lucent Orinoco Gold card which dosn't work too bad.

PS iwi2100.dmg crashes system.

Machine Name: jMac

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1400MHz

Number Of CPUs: 1

CPU Speed: 1.4 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 TM EST

Memory: 512 MB

Bus Speed: 400 MHz

Boot ROM Version: Version 1.70 (TOSHIBA)

Serial Number:

• 3 weeks later...
This will get a thinkpad T30 up and running with everything but the acclerated graphics. This is intended for Jas 10.4.8 but it might work with other versions too.

On installation the following already work:

1. video

2. sound

3. battery meter management

The on board wifi is will not work with Airport. Grab a linksys WPC54G . I am using a revision 3 one that i got a radio shack in september 2007 for $40 and it uses the correct boradcom chip to work like a normal airport express card.

I have modified and tested all the following extensions to work with the T30. Copy them to your extensions folder, stick in a linksys card and everything should be working. It might be a good idea to do each one at a time.

YOU MUST DO ETHERNET CONFIG BEFORE PUTTING IN THE WIFI CARD!

The attchments fix

1. ehternet (AppleIntel8255x)

copy this to exntensions reboot and ethernet will work

copy these two to extenstions, reboot, stick in linksys card and you will see card listed as unkonwn PC card in system info. the light on the card should also turn on

copy this, reboot, make sure you have your linksys card in the slot and you will have full airport support lilke a normal mac.

Put the card in the BOTTOM PCMCIA slot. Upon reboot airport will be detected when you go to network settings. don't configure it

power off the pcardbus take out the card. put it back in. THE TOP PCMCIA SLOT Now it is fully functional.

Go to intenet connect in Applications to do your intial config of Airport or it will hang. DO NOT CLICK ON THE MENU BAR AIRPORT ICON before going to internet connect.

Good luck. The end result should be a VERY stable and usable installation of 10.4.8

What can I say - you are GOD to me today. I have been struggling to get my PCMCIA card for the last one week on my T42p - I tried almost everything that was specified on this forum with no luck - that is until I hit this thread by chance....I replaced the 'IOPCIFamily.kext' and 'IOPCCardFamily.kext' files from the ones in this post and rebooted.

VOILA - my PCI Firewire Cardbus now works !!!! I used an ADS Tech Pyro 1394 DV Firewire Cardbus (3 ports) and my iMovie 08 software recognized it instantly.....

Thanks a lot for your post dude....

Here are the steps I followed to replace the IOPC* files specified above :

----------------------------

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext

cp -r /Users/XXXXX/Desktop/IOPCIFamily.kext .

cp -r /Users/XXXXX/Desktop/IOPCCardFamily.kext .

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

-------------------------------

I will work on getting my wireless to work now. Good luck folks.....Thanks minus !!! :D:P:P:o

• 1 month later...

Oops. The link to Powermanagement on the post wasn't working but I located the correct file.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=14912&hl Is the driver you want.

Thanks minus for the guide. I got it up and running on my T30 2366-61U, even got my Buffalo wifi card working thanks to the Broadcom driverupdates someone wrote around here.

This rules :rolleyes:

omg last time i tried doing this to my T30, i had to reinstall XP, because I messed up my partition. What version of the DVD of OSX did you use?, and is it specifically the linksys WPC54G that will work, or with that ktext, most linksys wireless cards should work?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

am new here... i did exactly what they guys said and now my linksys WPC54G  v.3 works w/ my JAS mac os x 10.4.8 + ibm thinkpad t40.  here's what i did based on the above instructions w/c i modified w/ some of the original text. am doing this also for my future reference in case i have to do this all over again in a reinstall. thanks to minus_273 & mactheripper for pointing us the right way.

download to desktop, dbl click, it will open, copied the original files from the copy /System/Library/Extensions/ directory to backup location (i created a backup folder in desktop and copy/paste them there), copy these two to extenstions to /System/Library/Extensions/, authenticate.

same as #2 to open, backup & copy to /System/Library/Extensions/, authenticate.

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirport2.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

diskutil repairpermissions /

reboot

reboot, stick in linksys card and you will see card listed as unknown PC card in system info. the light on the card should also turn on. with the linksys card in the slot and you will have full airport support like a normal mac.

plugged the linksys WPC54G v.3 into the top pcmcia slot. and its power light turned on already

i config'ed via the menu bar airport icon, saw it picked up my access point, added my WPA-Personal key, and it worked just fine. :P  

note:

i noticed that if i disable the pcmcia slot via the menu bar or pulled the card out while its being used.. my mac os x hanged up, prompting a reboot. but if you stick the card in prior to startup and/or remove it after shutdown.. it should be ok.

omg last time i tried doing this to my T30, i had to reinstall XP, because I messed up my partition. What version of the DVD of OSX did you use?, and is it specifically the linksys WPC54G that will work, or with that ktext, most linksys wireless cards should work?

i used JAs 10.4.8 it should work with anything after 10.4.8 as well. I cant say anything about 10.5 but i doubt this will work.

I can only confirm linksys wpc54g and then only those with the broadcom chip. There are some with other chips and the same model number.

• 4 months later...

I have success with XxX 10.4.11 v2. For our ThinkPad T30, we need to select SEE2 combo. Also ATI 7500 work with QE enabled, right after installation. The only thing that i need is a way to use scrolling with touchpad. Anybody have it to work? Also is anyone was able to boot some recent 10.5 DVDs?

• 1 month later...

There was a guy posted in in the hardware forum that he was quitting OSx86 cos he could not get it installed onto T30 that he had done a Bios Update on (to allow 2 GB Ram) - Said it would not get past the ACPI error (panic?)

I'll steer the guy to this post, he probably already saw it but it might help him. I bought a T30 for a gf, it was a swell machine, if I can get one for the same price maybe I'll try this out, even with 512 Ram, with MacOS you can get by with less than 2 GB of Ram, Vista requires 4 GB of ram to work right but macOS can run with just about air.

:P:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I am willing to try this with the T30. Got one in front of me, how did u boot off the OSX Install DVD? I cannot afor the life of me boot off the DVD. I even tried external usb dvd, and nothing...pointers/

Hello, I am willing to try this with the T30. Got one in front of me, how did u boot off the OSX Install DVD? I cannot afor the life of me boot off the DVD. I even tried external usb dvd, and nothing...pointers/

ok success! i was able to install first 10.4.8 jas on it...everything worked on it sound out of box

next i did xxx 10.4.10 and it works, BUT i cannot get sound to work for the life of me!! help!? i tried azalia.pgk, the jas 10.4.8.kext from jas dvd, and no audio, i keep getting the 'appleAC97audio.kext was installed inproperly and cannot be used etc etc' upon bootup

anyone else has this problem?