I just bought an Apple iBook A1005.

SDRacer48

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I just bought an Apple iBook A1005 for myself, but I will be giving it to my mom (who is completely computer illeterate, she has never pressed the power button on a computer before) in a few months.

Specs:

APPLE A1005 LAPTOP MANUFACTURER: APPLE MODEL: A1005 PROCESSOR: G3 600MHZ RAM: 128MB HARDDRIVE: 20GB OPTICAL DRIVE: CD A/C ADAPTER: Yes NETWORK: WIFI NIC USB: Yes O/S: 10.2 COLOR: WHITE PHYSICAL CONDITION: GOOD BATTERY

I was wondering if anyone has one of these and what the performance is like.

For example,

Is it noticably struggling for resources and power or does it move pretty seemlessly?

What is the average xbench score for this particular model?

Do you think someone who has never used a computer before will be able to use it?

Is it upgradeable to OS X Tiger and Maybe Leopard or would it be best to leave it as Jaguar?

Any info or comments will be appreciated.

Keep on macKIN'

Thanks in Advance,

Cody

600 mhz and 128 mb of ram. The speed is decent, but more ram will really help you out. With the current ram situation, i suggest you either keep it at jaguar, or move up to panther. I have panther on an old g3 333 mhz imac with 160 mb of ram and its decent. if you do happen to get around 256 to 384 mb of ram tiger should run pretty snappy on it, at least with dashboard disabled.

For someone whos pretty computer illiterate, i suggest buying her a keyboard and mouse to go along with it if its going to be stationary most of the time.

So disabling dashboard could make all the difference. That is what I thought.Well, I think if I can get a 256mb stick of ram cheap for it, I will but with her, i don't think she will need more.Thanks for the reply.