Hmm, I cant burn Leopard to a DL-DVD...

cringemaster

23 posts in this topic

This is strange. My Lite-On DVD burner has no problem with Single Layer DVDs, but it wont burn the leopard_client_9a527.dmg image to a dual layer disc I bought just for the occasion. I have no other reasons to burn dual layer DVD's, so i cant really test if its the specific image or not.

BTW, I have also tried converting the dmg to a cdr and burning with nero in windows and I get a similar bug. Maybe its my drive? The disc actually never gets touched, because every time I pop it back in it shows up as blank, even in my internal DVD-ROM in my Mini.

This is strange. My Lite-On DVD burner has no problem with Single Layer DVDs, but it wont burn the leopard_client_9a527.dmg image to a dual layer disc I bought just for the occasion. I have no other reasons to burn dual layer DVD's, so i cant really test if its the specific image or not.BTW, I have also tried converting the dmg to a cdr and burning with nero in windows and I get a similar bug. Maybe its my drive? The disc actually never gets touched, because every time I pop it back in it shows up as blank, even in my internal DVD-ROM in my Mini.
Just to second hazkid's comment. It sounds like your drive is not capable of burning your particular DL discs OR if it is capable, that fact is not being recognized.Do you perhaps have a -R DL blank and a +R DL capable drive ?See post-13072-1188858253_thumb.png. Note that System Profiler in OSX explicitly shows "+R DL" as a DVD-Write capability for my Pioneer DVR-212D. G :happymac:
This is strange. My Lite-On DVD burner has no problem with Single Layer DVDs, but it wont burn the leopard_client_9a527.dmg image to a dual layer disc I bought just for the occasion. I have no other reasons to burn dual layer DVD's, so i cant really test if its the specific image or not.BTW, I have also tried converting the dmg to a cdr and burning with nero in windows and I get a similar bug. Maybe its my drive? The disc actually never gets touched, because every time I pop it back in it shows up as blank, even in my internal DVD-ROM in my Mini.
Another thought: Take a look at the comments on the site where you got your Leopard dmg file. From my quick search is appears that some images are fake or flawed.G :happymac:

Still having issues. i found a firmware update for it from liteons website and it still has the problem. As for what it can do, it says its capable of everything I need. Heres screenshots from system profiler:

No Disc in Drive:

Picture_4.jpg

Heres with the blank DVD+R DL:

Picture_5.jpg

any ideas? Ive even tried switching around ports and all the usual restarts and everything.

edit: and no, its not a flawed dvd image. I installed leopard temporarily on my ipod using my ipod with a few partitions.

edit2: Disk utility gives me an issue with the device not being accessed properly, ill try to get a screenshot of the error.

ok heres what diskutility gives me upon burning it:

Starts off fine:

Picture_6.jpg

stil okay:

Picture_7.jpg

then, wtf why are u done so fast:

Picture_8.jpg

and it finishes off with this:

Picture_9.jpg

im... stumped

I've been hearing that a some of the copies of Leo that are, um, floating around, (like the one slowly floating through Xtorrent on my MBP =D ), not perfect. That might be the case with yours? Maybe it's just off enough to not like your DVD drive or whatever...

Try this...

You said you put it on your iPod on a partition, right? Try making a clean DMG from that partition. I know, it seems pretty stupid to unpack a file and then re-pack it, but that sort of thing has worked for me with other types of compressed files.

The burn worked perfectly for me with my Lite-on drive in Toast 8! However when I have a macbook with only a combo drive, so I used an external hard drive attachment in order to connect the drive through firewire to burn...the only thing that was weird during installation was that all my settings and files were saved and not overwritten...it was odd...leopard basically just wiped out the old tiger features and replaced them, keeping all other files intact..*shrugs* must be a bug...but with one like that I'm not complaining! ;)

Hey,

Sorry, don't know if I'm stealing your topic or not. This is sort of related...

Simple question, how do I burn a bootable .dmg in windows (such as Leopard). How do I convert or do I even need to convert it to an .iso or other such file. Completely new to this, sorry. I did do a search but this site doesn't let me put in a keyword such as ".dmg" which made it impossible for me to search for what I needed. This question has probably been asked heaps of times but I'm either retarded or blind becuase I can't find it.

Any ideas?

And to be fair to the OP, what speed are you burning your disc at? Also check compatibility of the drive (as others have mentioned) and make sure you check the image you have. Maybe find a different source to acquire a different copy?

I have done some burning in my time and seen some errors here and there but that one looks pretty nasty... (don't want to put a damper on things but) something is wrong somewhere maybe with the burner or the media, or the image because you said you tried on windows. So something looks bad. Sucks that the only thing to do with computer problems like this is process of elimination. Different DVDs, different burner if you can find a friend or something. And thats about it....

Many times it the blank media :blink:

I have a DVD DL in my Sony Vaio notebook.

And I had a hell of a time with some {censored} TDK DVD-R DL disks. The drive would not work with them. Took the open package back to best buy and swaped them out for Sony DVD-R DL. Worked perfect ;)

I bought the TDK because they where a better deal {by $8}. The sony are by far the best disks I have ever used {DL, cd or dvd}. I wont use anything else again.

Going to try the 9a527 patches this weekend to get 9a527 on my vaio wish me luck :P

• 3 weeks later...