Downgrade from 1.1 to 1.0

trexplorer

7 posts in this topic

Just got a new ATV running version 1.1. Problem is that the restore image is also v1.1 so there's no going back to 1.0 using restore.

I've been able to install awkward tv and enable SSH but that's about all I can do. I've tried a number of mods including enabling AFP server and USB drive without success. Even bspatch won't work ... Apple really gutted a lot of functions in 1.1.

Anyone know if a 1.0 restore image is available (i.e, the 1.1 update is available online from Apple so where's 1.0 ?) or if there is another way to downgrade the ATV.

cheers ...

There are versions available on most of the Torrent networks. Just look for the old AppleTV OS Backup dmgs. They store the whole hard disk image and can be restored back onto the AppleTV with no issues.

All the images I've seen seem to have been hacked to allow booting on intel macs (i.e., they won't boot on Apple TV). Ideally I want want an unalterred image otherwise I would have to try and restore the original kernel, boot.efi, etc ... (boot efi is prob the same but I do not have the 1.0 kernel - mine is 1.1)

cheers

(by the way - finally got USB drive working by modding the kernel using bspatch on my intel mac and then copying over to the ATV)

Update - how I downgraded and upgraded

I was finally able to get some things working under factory 1.1, but things like afp, and vnc were still not working so I took some more drastic measures.

First you'll need a working 1.0 image (search the usual places for files claiming to boot the ATV from USB drive - it's hard to find/download).

There are several ways to get this image on the OSBoot volume including installing/booting OSX from an external USB drive (instructions on turbo's site and others - Google something like "Boot OS X from External USB drive" or "turbo usb booting" for forums/guides) or find a guide with instructions on how to use ssh and dd for backup/restore (http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Backup_y ... Hard_Drive).

Getting OS X running is a project in itself - Installing OS X on a USB drive, entails replacing the kernel and boot.efi as well as mod some kexts and drive partition info. If you don't do it just right, it won't USB boot. Be careful re the type of text editor you use so that formatting does not get into the files (textwrangler seems good). And USB is often fussy about recognizing drives requiring power downs, disconnects and reboots until it's working. OSX is cooler, easier for future mods and I can use same USB drive for storage (must be on a different volume due to partition mods). There are patches/scripts out there that claim and probably will do the hard work, but I have not tried them.

Once you've got file transfer capability (OS X or SSH), and then simply copy files over using something like CCCloner under OSX (erase before copying) or dd via SSH.

I also did a safe update to v1.1, loosely using info from the awkward tv's wiki. I currently boot the ATV OS or OS X by just plugging in the USB drive (ATV defaults to USB). I can VNC both OSX or ATV, AFP, SMB, SSH, etc .. all work.

Next, I need to figure out how to watch non mpg movies on the ATV. Creating a reference file for iTUnes and streaming doesn't seem to work and nitoTV doesn't seem want me to access my network or see any files ... ?

BTW, I did not downgrade the restore partition which remains at factory 1.1 - I only changed the OSBoot volume. Make sure to backup your volumes before starting including the partition information, just in case (instructions on how to use dd for backup http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Backup_y ... Hard_Drive).

hope this helps anyone out there with a similar setup - cheers ...

Ohhh you're kidding me. I've been playing about with the aTV for days trying to get it play nice with my little network.

iPhone + MacBook <--WiFi --> Airport Express + 750Gb ex. HDD <-- WiFi --> AppleTV <-- HDMI --> HDTV

The left side of the equation is sorted, but the right side is hurting my head.

Just now, I wanted to check out YouTube on the aTV and so I upgraded to firmware 1.1, liked it, but subsequently found I couldn't mount any of the aTV's partitions anymore. Eventually, Google lead me here.There must be an easier way to downgrade the Apple TV from 1.1 to 1.0? The instructions above look even more complicated and convoluted than the crazy terminal hacks I've trawled through on various wiki's/site's/forum's/blogs/email/etc just to get a file server on there in the first place! Not that I'm being ungrateful. Fair play for posting a decent how-to, its obviously not you're fault its this involved! Just having a moan.

Edit: I did a system restore and found myself back at 1.0, so I must have the 1.0 restore image.. I really feel for you having to go through all of that!

• 3 months later...

I have searched high and low. Can someone pleeeeeeeze tell me if there is a way to know before leaving the apple store whether the appletv in the box is 1.0 or 1.1? I bought a 1.0 40GB a week ago, and then exchanged it for a 160GB that turned out to be 1.1. I regret that exchange, that's for sure. I want to exchange it again for a 160GB with 1.0 in the box, but I don't know and can't find anything that tells me how to know whether it is 1.0 or 1.1 in the box. I imagine the AppleTV serial number contains something indicating a week of production, just as the iPhone serial numbers to, which could tell me. Thanks for any info.

• 2 weeks later...

I can also confirm that you can downgrade a 160GB 1.1 to 1.0. The online instructions are still a little confusing, but following a few different guides I was successful in "upgrading" my 1.1 AppleTV to a "safe 1.1" (modified 1.0) version. There are a few holes which hopefully I can patch up for you here.

These are the most useful sources:

- http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Beginners_Guide

- Downgrading preinstalled 1.1 AppleTV to 1.0 - CONFIRMED METH (http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=839&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p4868)

- the Readme.txt in the Patchstick.zip

Before you start, you'll need:

- Intel Mac running 10.4.* (Leopard doesn't work. Make a temporary new partition and install Tiger). 10.4.9 seemed to work best.

- USB Drive: 500MB or 1GB (I used 1 GB and it worked fine)

- The .dmg file for Intel Combo upgrade to 10.4.9 (from apple.com). 10.4.10 is ok too...

- the patchstick file

- both OS (.dmg) files for Apple TV: 1.0 & 1.1

MOST OBVIOUS (OR NOT): you're going to patch your Apple TV *twice*. The first patch affects 1.1, which doesn't allow you all of the useful features, but it give you just enough (SSH) to talk to your Apple TV and copy over the OS 1.0. Once 1.0 is installed, then you'll repeat the patchstick process (i.e. to patch the new 1.0).

Creating the Patchstick

Unfortunately, you'll run into a few hurdles in creating it, so be patient. Most common are:

- the USB stick has to be a certain format

- you may need "root" permission

Both of these hurdles can be resolved via Google as they apply to other tasks as well (i.e. creating a USB OSX boot disk).

Applying your Patchstick

Plug it into the back USB port. Then on your remote, hold down the Menu & minus buttons. You'll want to hold them down for several seconds - long enough for UNIX text to appear. If you see the opening video montage you didn't do it long enough, so try again.

How to know when the patch process is complete

This part can be confusing. The instructions mention waiting for your Apple TV to restart several times. However, if you don't recognize your "cue", it will restart forever.

The correct time to remove the USB stick is when you see the words "All Done!" (or similar) in the displayed text. You'll probably also see "Restart in 30 seconds..." Note that these messages might not be the last rows of text - they may just be close, a few lines up perhaps.

At this "cue", pull the USB stick out (yes, while the ATV is still running). Power off your Apple TV (unplug the power cable) and plug it back in. Once the menu finally appears, you should be able to see "Awkward TV" in the menu.

Avoiding the Auto-Upgrades

Ignore the "manual process" presented in the Beginners Guide; it's much easier to use nitoTV instead. NitoTV will enable several things for you, including:

- grabbing necessary parts from 10.4.9

- create a "safe 1.1 OS"

- take care of that pesty Auto-upgrade problem

NitoTV doesn't do these automatically: use the nitoTV menu and follow the instructions.

Good luck!