Love the program, with a few issues

sawxray

8 posts in this topic

I finally switched from my beloved Thinkpad and Windows XP, to a sparkling new MBP 17, with Boot Camp and Parallels.

I have always loved the Mac OS (my first computer was a Mac, but I had to switch for software associated with my profession), and am very happy to have the opportunity to jump back in now.

This program has really helped with the transition, allowing me to keep Windows XP for the professional software. I like:

The fan controls

The backlight controls

The key remapping (of course)

But I have a few issues to address:

1. I have the same problem saving settings as others have described

2. InputRemapper.x86.exe uses a lot of system resources. At idle, I see between 5 and 25 percent of CPU in Task Manager. When I start a new program, I see up to 70 percent of CPU usage!

3. When I select the tray icon, then 'Configure', I get a short list, but nothing is selectable. Is this expected behavior?

Of these, 1. is an annoyance, but 2. is a major concern.

Any suggestions?

I finally switched from my beloved Thinkpad and Windows XP, to a sparkling new MBP 17, with Boot Camp and Parallels.

I have always loved the Mac OS (my first computer was a Mac, but I had to switch for software associated with my profession), and am very happy to have the opportunity to jump back in now.

This program has really helped with the transition, allowing me to keep Windows XP for the professional software. I like:

The fan controls

The backlight controls

The key remapping (of course)

But I have a few issues to address:

1. I have the same problem saving settings as others have described

2. InputRemapper.x86.exe uses a lot of system resources. At idle, I see between 5 and 25 percent of CPU in Task Manager. When I start a new program, I see up to 70 percent of CPU usage!

3. When I select the tray icon, then 'Configure', I get a short list, but nothing is selectable. Is this expected behavior?

Of these, 1. is an annoyance, but 2. is a major concern.

Any suggestions?

Are you by any change running it under Parallels Desktop?

Yes, sir.

It's not designed to run under virtualization software. When virtualized I cannot access the hardware and you shouldn't need to use Input Remapper. That said the performance issue is because Parallels have implemented QueryPerformanceCounter badly. This function works great under VMWare Fusion and I don't want to use a lower resolution timer. To turn off Input Remapper while you are working through Parallels you can create a .bat file that runs:

net stop InputRemapper

This will stop the Input Remapper service and no performance issues should occur.

It's not designed to run under virtualization software. When virtualized I cannot access the hardware and you shouldn't need to use Input Remapper. That said the performance issue is because Parallels have implemented QueryPerformanceCounter badly. This function works great under VMWare Fusion and I don't want to use a lower resolution timer. To turn off Input Remapper while you are working through Parallels you can create a .bat file that runs:

net stop InputRemapper

This will stop the Input Remapper service and no performance issues should occur.

Thanks-

A couple of questions.

With virtualization, does the fan have better control than with Boot Camp?

I don't know how to create a .bat file. Could you kindly give a quick once-over, and I will Google for the rest?

Will this .bat file only initiate under virtualization, but not under Boot Camp?

Will this .bat file shut down all three forms of InputRemapper found under Task Manager?

Thanks again for your time!

• 2 months later...
OK

I have created and run the batch file. However, one instance of InputRemapper remains in Task Manager (InputRemapper.x86.exe, under my user name).

Anything I need to do to include this in the .bat file?

Thank you

You can remove this by disabling the Input Remapper Tray icon with msconfig. (Start->Run->msconfig)

• 1 month later...

Is there any way to not have the configure-the-keyboard 'splash-screen'-type-thing appear on boot or whenever the program loads? I don't want to change the settings (if active) or disable boot camp drivers (when keyboard settings are inactive) and just have the fans go to the speed I have set them at the last time I was in Windows (that part works already thankyou very very much)?