Leopard for non QE/CI Hackintoshes

Paulo Greimel

26 posts in this topic

Well, the new Leopard introduces a lot of eye-candy. For example: reflection in the dock, Time Machine (that cool animation that pushes the desktop down), stacks and the brand new "Core Animation". This will surely demand more from the video card. But the main question is: Will the non QE/CI machines be able to install and use Leopard? Sure it will be slow, but will it be unusable? Someone could test it and post the results, but we cannot ensure that will work, because 10.5 still a beta. So I want to ask, Will the less powerful video cards (no QE/CI) support Leopard? I can't replace my video card by now, and I own a notebook, video card upgrades are impossible. Maybe, if its impossible to install or/and use, someone could make a patch or something. Also, we will need a solution for CoverFlow, does not work on iTunes with no QE/CI support.

Cheers,

Paulo

P.S.: Really sorry for the bad English, but I don't think it is impossible to understand.

Leopard dont support GMA900 anymore ?

My notebook have an GMA900 onboard with full QE/CI/Q2D support on tiger 10.4.10, but i dont get the same on Leopard .

Any help ??

So your GMA900 have no support in Leopard. Maybe leopard require a more powerful VGA, or maybe you will need new drivers, the leopard default ones can't enable QE/CI.

IMO, Leopard isn't really usable in VESA mode. The dock is jerky, window dragging and animations are choppy, and you miss out on all the eye candy. I also noticed that you cant really customize spaces without QE/CI because the preference pane uses a .qtz file to display your options, and in VESA mode, all you get is a big black rectangle, so you can't really add/remove rows and columns in spaces, so your stuck with the default 2. After i installed my kext's for leopard, there was definatelly a difference. But thats just me, i love the eyecandy :D

-Prawker :angel:

Yeah I noticed this too, I have QE and CI working nice with a x1600 but if I use VESA, the dock and the genie effects are better.

About the missing support for GMA 900 and ATIs prior to x1000 that's not new to leopard, this happened after Tiger 10.4.7. Maybe the same workaround could fix it, ie using old 1047 kexts and openGL.framework

Why would they continue developing GMA900 drivers when no Apple computer uses GMA900s? They only had GMA900 drivers in the first place because ADP2,1 used a 915 chipset. I know it's upsetting, but you'll probably have to get with the times to use Leo.

Well, maybe leopard for non QE/CI machines is just like tiger. DVD playing slow, slow exposé etc. But the rest should remain the same, the dock, the genie effect and the rest of the stuff. Just unsure about Finder's CoverFlow and QuickLook, Do they work for you (no QE/CI always)? iTunes CoverFlow does not (in Tiger).

Don't use CoverFlow if you don't have QE/CI, Finder will keep crashing and I can't even change back to Icon or click on any folder. I have to create another admin account and delete that messed up one. I haven't try QuickLook. Time Machine is not working for me, i tried to use my external HDD as backup but it always say Failed to create backup.

Well, maybe leopard for non QE/CI machines is just like tiger. DVD playing slow, slow exposé etc. But the rest should remain the same, the dock, the genie effect and the rest of the stuff. Just unsure about Finder's CoverFlow and QuickLook, Do they work for you (no QE/CI always)? iTunes CoverFlow does not (in Tiger).

Running without QE&CI ?

so, you have problem to run Pages, Keynotes, Numbers, iWeb, iMovie, Preview, Coverflow in iTunes.

In fact, Pages, Keynote, iWeb, iPhoto and Preview work fine (Keynote doesn't play the presentation), there is a tip that make these applications work in non QE/CI machines. Unfortunately, CoverFlow does not work.

Paulo

I use a gma950 and if you choose to install the gma950 drivers from kalyway or other, you won't get qe and ci. i've installed it on my first try and like Tommy said, finder kept crashing if i used the coverflow finder and the dock was really slow. So if you have a GMA 950, don't install any vidéo driver!

By the way, i really don't think a non qe&ci system could be usefull in leopard, and tiger would be a lot better and stable.

Yeah I noticed this too, I have QE and CI working nice with a x1600 but if I use VESA, the dock and the genie effects are better.

Ohhh.. really!? With CI & QE?! Bro, whats your Device ID? Maybe theres a chance for my 0x71c3 :<... From 10.4.6 i dont have any support for this two os components. Maybe now? :<

I cant wait for 10.5 :x

• 3 weeks later...