[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Running Efi v3 since day one.. no problem with stock kernel and extensions...

For those wanna try EFI on P5K-VM, I tried it once with vanilla mach_kernel, system just keep rebooting and I was too tired to figure out what's going on.........

It's painful, but I getta say goodbye to Asus after thirteen yrs of relationship.......

I just bought a Gigabyte GA G33M-DS2R this evening, and yes, all 6 SATA ports work in AHCI mode and it's way better than Asus P5K-VM, to be exact, much more stable and speedy at first~~~

I'm on JaS 10.4.8 now and will try to upgrade to Leo, more report will come (on a brand new thread).

Anyway, for those who really need to use more than 2 SATA ports, look elsewhere, P5K-VM just doesn't fit (it's a very nice mobo, though).

I'm glad to hear that this board is better than the p5K, i had to choose and took the gigabyte one.

If you make a new thread on this board , can you put a link here? I thinl i'll also write a "how-to" install leo on it.

I've installed Toh on it and i works well and firewire seems to work as well i did not test it but it's in the systeme preferences.

I'm in about the same situation as most of the rest of the folks here. I've got a P5K-VM (well, the version that comes in the V3-P5G33). Everything works perfectly (minus the known caveats) with the exception of one thing. I've got a DVD-RW running off of the JMicron PATA, and on occasion I've hung up applications while trying to access it. Often what happens is that I'll pop open disk utility and it'll beachball. Sometimes other things will beachball (presumably they're doing some polling on the drive). Is there any recommended resolution for this? Or do I need to use a SATA dvd drive. I DID have to us -x -f on the installer to get the BrazilMac DVD to boot originally.I'm in about the same situation as most of the rest of the folks here. I've got a P5K-VM (well, the version that comes in the V3-P5G33). Everything works perfectly (minus the known caveats) with the exception of one thing. I've got a DVD-RW running off of the JMicron PATA, and on occasion I've hung up applications while trying to access it. Often what happens is that I'll pop open disk utility and it'll beachball. Sometimes other things will beachball (presumably they're doing some polling on the drive). Is there any recommended resolution for this? Or do I need to use a SATA dvd drive. I DID have to us -x -f on the installer to get the BrazilMac DVD to boot originally.

Thx for the Guide, but i have the Problem that my Yukon 88E8056 will not work with these setting unter Leopard! Unter Tiger the Setting worked PERFEKT! Since 3 Days i'm searching for a solution , but I dated up the AppleYukon2.kext like the appleyukon.kext in Tiger, but my Leopard don't find any network card! I deleted the Cache and repaired permissions!

I do not understand whats wrong! Perhaps someone has the same problem and can help me! Thx a lot

relaxxer

I`ve post in my signature patch for ICH9 using AppleVIAATA.kext

U can try use in also on Tiger and Leo But remember to backup all your unpatched kexts due to possible conflicts with ApplePIIATA.kext

Lot of hours wasted in trying installing Leopard or 10.4.8 Jas.

my configuration:

Processor: Intel E6550

Mother Board:ASUS P5k-vm

Chipset: Intel® G33

South Bridge Chip: Intel ICH9JMicron®

JMB368 PATA and SATA controller

HD: Pata Maxtor 320G

Formatted HD with Pmagic, 2 partitions: the first fat32 Primary and the second one unallocated.

Ide setted to Ahci, boot from Sata DVD driver, works fine.

BrazilMac Install don't see HD where install, in Utility disk I can see the HD but erasing got error i/o.icon7.gif

Jas 10.4.8. don't see HD where install, don't see HD in Utility disk.

The same HD (Pata Maxtor 320G), installed on a external usb<-->pata Box, works fine.

With Jas 10.4.8. I can erase and install, it boots perfectly from external USB HD.

Why erasing the same HD with IDE PATA Cable doesn't work?

Could it work erasing from the external usb<-->pata box and then moving the HD to the IDE PATA calbe and install?

help please, I know You have a trik for me! icon10.gif

Why erasing the same HD with IDE PATA Cable doesn't work?

Could it work erasing from the external usb<-->pata box and then moving the HD to the IDE PATA calbe and install?

help please, I know You have a trik for me! icon10.gif

That migh work. The JMicron PATA support isn't stellar. Personally, I've only had it hang on access after some time of disuse (after bootup) with a DVD burner, but it sounds like you've got more troubles.

You'd be better off getting a drive slung off one of the SATA ports with the ICH9 set to AHCI (only 2 ports work in this mode). I'd try either a different SATA drive, or maybe a PATA->SATA adapter?

I can't vouch for how well PATA->SATA adapters work with OS X, however...

Also, an aside: I've tried the AppleVIAATA patch above, and it somewhat works, but I get kernel panics with no panic log, so I'd avoid that for now. Use AHCI mode.

Sorry for dumb question, this guide is well suited even on the P5K-E Asus MB? The wifi one mean. ^_^

Yes

in my driver version there are most ICH9 pci id`s, so it is very possibly to use it on any ICH9 based motherboard from any manufacturer

If do not working - post pci_dump.txt for such motherboard and I`ll add it into the driver MB supported table 8)))

Thx for the Guide, but i have the Problem that my Yukon 88E8056 will not work with these setting unter Leopard! Unter Tiger the Setting worked PERFEKT! Since 3 Days i'm searching for a solution , but I dated up the AppleYukon2.kext like the appleyukon.kext in Tiger, but my Leopard don't find any network card! I deleted the Cache and repaired permissions!

I do not understand whats wrong! Perhaps someone has the same problem and can help me! Thx a lot

relaxxer

I just got my p5k-vm and ran into the same problem. I finally found the answer in the GA-965P-DS3 thread (it uses the same 88E8056 chip). Basically you edit the /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist, but you don't need to if you use the P5KVM-LEO kexts from an earlier post (they are pre-edited). You then do the usual chown and deletion of Extensions.mkext and reboot.

Here's the trick though (from Conroe Mac in the 965P-DS3 thread):

After rebooting your LAN might not be working yet and showing up as disconnected. Do the following.

- Go to System Preferences, Click on the network icon.

- On the left pane select your ethernet, on the right pane where it says "Configure" select "off".

- Click apply.

- Now back to "Configure" select "Using DHCP". Click apply.

- Your LAN should be working by now.

Good luck!

Thanks Podarok

Do u think this MB(P5K-E/wifi-AP) is better than the gigabyte ones?

I must decide on it cause I'm starting to build a new desjtop machine :rolleyes:

I don`t know

I think that better that MB what has a minimal onboard configuration! Cuz U can Install after that any compatible devices for Your system and have no any problem with many unusable onboard devices 8)))

Good luck!

Can someone post a quick tutorial on how to get this board working with leopard? My previous partition leopard install worked almost completely with my new p5k-vm, but I had to delete the Extensions.mkext every time I reboot otherwise it would hang during boot. Out of desperation I "upgraded" the partition with ToH and now it simply gets to a blue screen with a working cursor but nothing else happens. Please help!!! Thanks!

Hi... i'm kinda new here, but if someone can help me, it will be great!!

I have g33 mobo with the ICH9 and i have the "still waiting for root device" when i try to install. i have the Leopard GM 9a581 Patched DVD iso image, how can i insert/apply/add or what ever, the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext into the .ISO image without damage the dvd boot?

TNNKS!

Can someone please provide the KEXTs for Leopard 10.5.0? I've tried the installation instructions, P5K-VM.zip and P5KVM-LEO.zip in this thread, and another zipfile (p5w-dh_sound_net_leopard.zip) that was floating around. None of these have worked. IF anyone can provide their KXTs it would be much appreciated.

I assume if I've correctly setup audio it will show something when I look for built-in audio in the system profiler?