[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

hi there, have anyone try ToH Leo on this board? I'm successfully upgrade my 10.4.10 to Leo using ToH, but the problem is that, everytime I reboot the machine, need to put -legacy parameter (which means 32 bit......) or the machine won't able to boot into the system.......

alright guys, I was stupid, to solve System Profiler problem, doesn't need any patch, just simply go into BIOS, and turn off MaxCPUID limit, that is it, everything works~~~ :-D

BTW, a little sharing, I bought a brand new Pioneer DVR 112 burner, on IDE (PATA), not even one single burning is successful (6 DVD-R were wasted and same applied to my good old Liteon IDE burner)...... Guess it's related to Jmicron.kext........

It's getting more and more interesting after I upgraded to ToH Leo 10.5. My Secondary HDD (data only, no system in it) becomes disk0 now, and without it, the system won't boot........ Hope some geniuses out there can fix the ICH9 thing (ie. SATA port 3 & 4 so I can put another HDD to the system and clone) soon enough or I might need to spend a weekend to wipe off/rebuild everything.......... :)

OK thanx!I`ll add that ID`s into next version kextto allI think that our problem is in in AppleIntelPIIXATA.kextI think that it is the 4 port config but our MB`s has 6 or even 8 SATA ports so....If I kill it - no one port couldn't be detected even on right(working) portIn IORegistry Explorer (attachement) I showign U view without PCS port map

I can't found any documentation in Xcode development repository (and apple.com quiet too 8))) )May be someone can help me to find possible "PCS port map" values

Hi Podarok, when I look through the info plist, I find the value of PCS port map is being encrypted:

<key>ICH9 Serial ATA</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPIIXATA</string>

<key>Controller Name</key>

<string>ICH9 SATA ch1</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleIntelPIIXATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x29208086 0x29218086 0x29228086 0x29238086 0x29258086 0x29268086 0x29288086 0x29298086 0x292c8086 0x292d8086 0x292e8086</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>PCS Port Map</key>

<data>

kgGTAZICkwKSBJMEkgiTCA==

</data>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

<key>Supported Transfer Modes</key>

<string>0x3f061d</string>

</dict>

Is this the secret key to let the system know how many port/channel on the mobo? From Delish's post, where should we add those value (2940, 294e... etc) into? Please let me know, thanks~~~

Skyz: be sure to run diskutillity "repair disk" after you installed or ran script.sh from ToH disk (boot from DVD)

The mobos I have installed ToH on all gets minor harddisk errors from running the postpatch (/usr/misc/script.sh <vol>)

and without fixing the disk, bootloader wount load, and/or jumps to next disk, sounds like you have the same symptoms.

Fabulous topic here. I've got things up and going on a variant of the P5K-VM (barebone system). I ran through the BrazilMac method, and got things to install, and I can boot by having the install DVD in the drive and then letting that boot my installed copy. What I cannot do at the moment is get the bootloader going from the hard disk itself (blinking cursor). Is there something I missed in there? Do I need to do something special to the MBR?

Thanks in advance. Looks to be a nice hackintosh :-)

Fabulous topic here. I've got things up and going on a variant of the P5K-VM (barebone system). I ran through the BrazilMac method, and got things to install, and I can boot by having the install DVD in the drive and then letting that boot my installed copy. What I cannot do at the moment is get the bootloader going from the hard disk itself (blinking cursor). Is there something I missed in there? Do I need to do something special to the MBR?

Thanks in advance. Looks to be a nice hackintosh :-)

NM - got it

Used this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=68189

alright guys, after lots of reading on various forums (hardware, OSX86 related, even Intel SATA data sheet!), I think SATA port 3 & 4 WILL NOT be detected in AHCI mode. That's related to Asus BIOS, so it's actually a hardware problem (Intel only allows ICHxR chipset to have AHCI but vendor can provide limited functionality of AHCI to plain ICHx, Asus did it to the first 2 SATA port but not the 3rd and 4th, so OSX can never see it)........

Anyway, what I tried was switch to IDE mode with Allsop's modified IOATAFamily/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, but then, system said "unable to find root device"......... So what I have missed? Would anyone tell me how to correctly install the mod kext to let the system runs in IDE mode please?

Hi delish, i dont want to bother you but im playing with this for two weeks and no success...

ive got a P5KR asus mobo..., its with realtek 883.

i tried tarugas patcher with your ich9 dump... nothing

then, i stupid realized that you were talking about that devid string...

but where in the file should i add that string? im not pro like you, and im kind of confused with

those two info.plist... should i replace one of the strings like 0000ffff or add?

im unhappy cos neither this audio nor my sapphire x1600 pro 256 is working (its another story

but none of those damn natit installers is working for me...)

thank very much for any help...

thanks thanks thanks :-)

Mangrove: You could dl the modified kext from this tread :(

but here is where to edit ALCInject.kext:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<array>

<string>pci8086,293e</string> (just add this line)

and AppleHDAController.kext:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x793a1002 0x437a1002 0x43831002 0x269a8086 0x26688086 0x27d88086 0x284b8086 0x026c10de 0x037110de 0x75021039 0x546110b9 0x32881106 0x026c10de 0x03e410de 0x03f010de 0x044a10de 0x293e8086</string>

remember to fix permissions on the kext afterwards if you change them during edit.

thak you really wery much!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i must tell you right now i just figured it out by myself... im so proud of myself! (ok not very proud, but happy :-)

i was a bit of coder in the days of early 8 bits then some c++ on i386, but never linux... :-0

now just that damn ati driver... i want to try borisbardenovs guide, but now i guess that

first i need ati drivers installed... because there is some editing of atindrv.kext and my kext

doesnt even contains lines which he mentions...

again many thanks

btw i really admire you, and if ur really girl, i'm amazed!!! respect!

Patched the Official Leopard 9A581 GM extensions to support ICH9 using the same method as Podarok.Podaroks extension orginated from Tiger.The following files were patched:IOATAFamily.kextAppleIntelPIIXATA.kextNo more AHCI and a fully working ICH9!
Hi Allsop, would you tell me how can you get IDE mode working? I've been working on this for 10 hrs and countless reboot/re-installation now, but once I use your kext, "Still waiting for root device" appears.... Anyway, with AHCI mode and original kext from ToH RC2 DVD, my HDDs work fine but it detected as external HDDs, do you have this initially?
Skyz: be sure to run diskutillity "repair disk" after you installed or ran script.sh from ToH disk (boot from DVD)The mobos I have installed ToH on all gets minor harddisk errors from running the postpatch (/usr/misc/script.sh <vol>)and without fixing the disk, bootloader wount load, and/or jumps to next disk, sounds like you have the same symptoms.
Thks Delish~~ Yes, I can't boot with system drive until I wipe it out and format/re-partition with MBR option (not GUID nor PPC bootable mode), then run the script in ToH RC2 DVD and REPAIR. That's how I can get my system drive bootable.

I tried Allsop's kext already, it works as normal in AHCI mode (shows unknown AHCI controller and system recognised HDD as external), but famous quote "Still waiting for root device" if I switch to IDE mode in BIOS. The whole idea I wanna use IDE mode is because SATA port 3 & 4 will never work in AHCI mode unless Asus enable it in next version of BIOS, but that's very unlikely.........

After another sleepless night, finally get the system boot in IDE mode. However, STILL ONLY 2 SATA PORTS ARE DETECTED!!!!!!! Also, in IDE mode, system drive becomes VERY VERY unstable.... I might do one of the following:

i) Go back to Tiger with almost everything works (except chunky mkv file playing)

ii) Go buy a 750GB HDD instead of 80GB + 320GB

iii) Go get a Gigabyte G33M-DS2R mobo as it has ICH9R chipset

For those wanna try EFI on P5K-VM, I tried it once with vanilla mach_kernel, system just keep rebooting and I was too tired to figure out what's going on.........