Leopard Macs able to run Tiger

24 posts in this topic

FYI just as long as you have install the OS on separate partition it wont be a prob on OSX, you'll be able to choose your OS to boot from Preferences -> Startup Disk

If only you can do that on Windows Platform... Multiboot from Control Panel.... :ninja:

As long as they don't update the Macbook Pros before or with the release leopard you should be fine. The next revision of MacBook Pro will most likely not be able to run Tiger. I don't think an update is expected. A refresh is more likely at MacWorld in January, or at NAB in April, but possible sooner.

You can always buy the previous modely MacBook if they do refresh them, buy it from the refurbished section on the apple site, save some money too. Still has 1 yr warranty.

no one can definatively answer the question at this point because we don't know for sure, but, in my past experience the earliest version of OS X that they can run is the version that they shipped with. They add the hardware profiles and such into new versions of the OS, so it's not configurd to run on new hardware (older versions aren't).

that is kinda my question when is a suspected release date for the new mbp's if they have a trend of when that is. i am soon getting one in the next 2 months prolly after launch of leopard and would prefer a newer model not to come out for at least 3 months lawl.

that is kinda my question when is a suspected release date for the new mbp's if they have a trend of when that is. i am soon getting one in the next 2 months prolly after launch of leopard and would prefer a newer model not to come out for at least 3 months lawl.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

check out that buyer's guide, it's not a way to be 100% sure they won't update, but it'll help you decide. The last update was about 90 days ago, it says the average update cycle for macbook pro is 180 day or so (so far in it's history).

In my mind, consumer products are more likely to be updated in the lead up to the holidays (hence the iPod event tomorrow) and pro products are more likely to be updated after the first of the year, when businesses get their anual capital budgeted. That said, they do still update things at MacWorld in January, and then again quietly in March or April sometimes, no way to know.

The next huge update will be to quad-core chips, but think that intel's roadmap has that chip not coming out until mid-2008 (not sure on that)

• 7 months later...

hi,

i have the latest macbook pro (came with leopard) and i want to know if its possible to run tiger on it as some of the music editing softwares that i need dont run on leopard yet. either running off an external harddrive or a partition on my main would work. can someone point me in the right direction. thanks

could someone then point in the right direction as how to install tiger on my MBP, what cd's / dvd would i need, where could i buy / get them? what i do have is the kalyway edition of tiger for intel and that boots fine from a non mac pc but it doesn't boot from a mac pc, it hangs "tried via holding the 'c' key on the keyboard as well the apple key after a restart"

i downloaded another 4gb tiger dvd and that too hangs at boot whereas it starts on my PC.

i have a 50gb emtpy partition on my mac as well as an external firewire harddrive with 150gb free, so if someone can point me in the right direction i'd be grateful.

Those were all stupid answers. Every version of OS X can run on every new Mac. Steve Jobs has said that every version of OS X can run on both PPC and Intel, and that they can run on every Mac.

Not true, Intel macs can't run PPC versions of OSX (anything before the Intel version of Tiger).

Iceman, you basically just need a retail version of Intel Tiger. You could either check ebay, or probably find it on one of the many torrent sites the internet offers (for free!). I just looked an Amazon is still selling Tiger, but it might be the PPC only version.

Once you have a disc, it would probably be easiest to use the Bootcamp Assistant in Leopard to make a new partition, reboot to the Tiger disc, format the new partition to HFS+ and install Tiger on that partition.

Not true, Intel macs can't run PPC versions of OSX (anything before the Intel version of Tiger).

Iceman, you basically just need a retail version of Intel Tiger. You could either check ebay, or probably find it on one of the many torrent sites the internet offers (for free!). I just looked an Amazon is still selling Tiger, but it might be the PPC only version.

Once you have a disc, it would probably be easiest to use the Bootcamp Assistant in Leopard to make a new partition, reboot to the Tiger disc, format the new partition to HFS+ and install Tiger on that partition.

I'm talking about 10.0 - 10.5 can be installed on any new Mac. Every version of OS X has both a PPC and an x86 version, so they can run on all new Macs. I'm not talking about installing PPC on Intel, I'm talking about installing the version itself on a mac.

I'm talking about 10.0 - 10.5 can be installed on any new Mac. Every version of OS X has both a PPC and an x86 version, so they can run on all new Macs. I'm not talking about installing PPC on Intel, I'm talking about installing the version itself on a mac.

10.0 - 10.3 can't be installed on a new mac because those versions of OSX only come in PPC versions. All the new macs have Intel chips.

And now that I think about it, those Tiger discs from Amazon are going to all be PPC only. There would be no reason for Apple to offer an Intel Tiger upgrade disc because all intel macs shipped with at least Tiger installed. So you're best bet is going to be finding a Tiger disc on ebay for your model of computer, or downloading one off a torrent site.

10.0 - 10.3 can't be installed on a new mac because those versions of OSX only come in PPC versions. All the new macs have Intel chips.

And now that I think about it, those Tiger discs from Amazon are going to all be PPC only. There would be no reason for Apple to offer an Intel Tiger upgrade disc because all intel macs shipped with at least Tiger installed. So you're best bet is going to be finding a Tiger disc on ebay for your model of computer, or downloading one off a torrent site.

ifixit.com

69.95 for restore disks

That's untrue. During WWDC 05, when Jobs announced the switch to Intel, he said that every version of OS X has been made to be processor independent. If you call Apple up, you can request an intel version of Puma, Cheetah, Jaguar, or Panther.

I smell made up BS.

True that. Jobs stated that they had been developing OS X since 10.0 to work on both platforms, but 10.0-10.3 were never released; They were just developed.

Therefore, someone who is not an internal Apple developer with access to old OS X trees cannot run 10.0-10.3 on Intel Macs.

Those were all stupid answers. Every version of OS X can run on every new Mac. Steve Jobs has said that every version of OS X can run on both PPC and Intel, and that they can run on every Mac.

My X3100 MacBook can't run Tiger because of lack of drivers.

If only you can do that on Windows Platform... Multiboot from Control Panel.... ;)

Personally, I think it's easier to use a boot manager like PCs use (i.e. Grub). With a boot manager, you can just choose the OS when the computer boots. Otherwise, if you don't want the default OS, you'd have to wait for it to boot, then go into its control panel, and choose the other OS and reboot.