147 posts in this topic

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 , E6600, 4Gb Ram, 3 SATA HDDs (No RAID), 1 SATA DVD

Installed Leopard 10.5 (brazilmac) with vanilla kernel and EFI v8.

Updated to 10.5.1

LAN out of the box, Audio with the addition of ACL889A extension.

Installed Xcode, Adobe CS3, ILife 08, .... perfectly.

Everything works perfectly EXCEPT the restart and shutdown which work sporadically.

Maybe I'll trey the mach_sleep kernel next to solve this minor issue, but I don't want to break anything...

ps. Every extension is original Leopard, except of course the addition of dsmos.kext, a tweaked IONetworkingFamily to get rid of the "Error 35" issues with Time Machine, and the audio kext.

Abit IX38 QuadGT.

Kalyway installed, everything is working except sound (I didn't try further by now, ext M-Audio works well, but with 2x latency :blink: ).

Network works, all from Kalyway disc.

I got 2 x Seagate 250 GB SATA in RAID (for 64bit WinXP). Disk Utility can see them, but cannot mount or access.

Leo is installed onto Maxtor ATA 80 GB.

Rest of HW:

Intel Q6600, 2,4 GHz

4 GB DDR2 800 MHz (soon it will work @ 3,4 GHz (cpu) and 1200 MGz (RAM), tried under XP)

nVidia 7600 GT Dual DVI

Pioneer 212 DVD-RW SATA

Cheers

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 , E6600, 4Gb Ram, 3 SATA HDDs (No RAID), 1 SATA DVD

Installed Leopard 10.5 (brazilmac) with vanilla kernel and EFI v8.

Updated to 10.5.1

LAN out of the box, Audio with the addition of ACL889A extension.

Installed Xcode, Adobe CS3, ILife 08, .... perfectly.

Everything works perfectly EXCEPT the restart and shutdown which work sporadically.

Maybe I'll trey the mach_sleep kernel next to solve this minor issue, but I don't want to break anything...

ps. Every extension is original Leopard, except of course the addition of dsmos.kext, a tweaked IONetworkingFamily to get rid of the "Error 35" issues with Time Machine, and the audio kext.

I almost have the same system as you do. Can you explain how you installed everything? What tutorial did you use?

The other parts I dont understand are about the audio and the dsmos.kext and the tweaked IONetworkingFamily.

Youve patched the original Leopard disc with the brazilmac patches or did you use a special install dvd like Kalyway?

Thanks for helping me out, im really interested in using Leopard :)

anyone have any ideas on what i could do to install osx on my asus p5e i got sata drive but ide dvd rom on the install dvd boot the dvdrom light is flashing off and on and while being at a black screen with a flashing cursor nothing comes up i cant even hit f8 while the dvdrom light is flashing but after 30 secs or so the dvd light stop flashing and still at a black screen still cant hit anything all i get is a black screen with a E_ on the left hand upper side of the screen with the black screen at this point i have to power off pc it wont reset nothign will respond like i said it doesnt get to the point to load the bootloader yet i have treid kalway and the brazilian images even diffrent versions of the osx

I'm close to ordering a Maximus Formula to replace my eVGA 780i mobo. Mainly want to be able to run vanilla kernel, EFI, etc.

Tried following Marcaen and FutureShock's progress but want to verify:

1. EFI loads successfully

2. Vanilla kernel loads correctly as well

3. Able to use GUID/GPT vs MBR (this one sounded like GPT was problematic)

4. Any problems with this being Intel's newest chipset (X38 support causing any issues)?

Sounds like most people are using Kalyway, has anyone used iATKOS r2 with any success on the Maximus? Any gotchas?

Thanks for any and all help.

-Shrapnel

I tried gigabyte x38-ds5 with iatkos1.0 (r.2) dvd.

Video: radeon 3870

proc: Core 2 duo 2.66ghz

ram: kingston hyperx ddr2 1066

Sata seagate hdd

Nec sata DVD writer.

Everything works fine, (radeon, audio with patch) QE, CI works fine, but the restart, turn off function is currently bad.

Anyone has an idea, how to fix the restart function???

I'm close to ordering a Maximus Formula to replace my eVGA 780i mobo. Mainly want to be able to run vanilla kernel, EFI, etc.

Tried following Marcaen and FutureShock's progress but want to verify:

1. EFI loads successfully

2. Vanilla kernel loads correctly as well

3. Able to use GUID/GPT vs MBR (this one sounded like GPT was problematic)

4. Any problems with this being Intel's newest chipset (X38 support causing any issues)?

Sounds like most people are using Kalyway, has anyone used iATKOS r2 with any success on the Maximus? Any gotchas?

Thanks for any and all help.

-Shrapnel

1. EFI works

2. Vanilla kernel works, with the Sleep kext/patch installed with it.

3. I use GUID/GPT with no issues. Futureshock wasn't so lucky

4. Haven't noticed any issues that would pertain to the X38 itself. Perhaps with the JMicron PATA chipset maybe and possibly the NVinject drivers. My problems have mainly been related to VMware Fusion.

I do have some recommendations though:

Enable ACPI 2.0 in the BIOS

Turn off Speedstep in the BIOS

I disabled putting hard drives to sleep in OSX power management.

I run Leopard at 3.0Ghz with my Q6600 my Maximus Formula. I run Version 907 of the BIOS.

You have to do zero amount of work to get everything working with the Kalyway install. Just make sure you select the AD1988 Azalia kext during the install (only stereo output from the analog right now. 10.5.2 update may change this). If you have networking problems after the install, try changing the network cable to the opposite port.

Awesome news, thank you very much. Should be ordering my board tomorrow based on your input. Did think of one last question though, all cores working or cpus=1? I currently have to do that with my Q6600 on the 780i board.

All cores, never had to use cpus=1

Hello, Everybody!

I've got ASUS P5E M/B and I managed to install Kalyway OS X Leo

now there are two problems: audio and video drivers.

My video card: XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

audio: SupremeFX II audio card that came with M/B

as far as I understand, there will be no problems with video drivers, but I don't know what to do with my audio card...

ok. I see that AD1988 Azalia works fine with SupremeFX II... but what if I didn't select it during the install? can I install the driver without reinstalling the system?

i have a asus P5E and i installed retail leopard dmg from my external drive which had kalyway on it... used THIS GUIDE. i partitioned in GUID and installed pc_efi v8 and i started installing the dmg then put dsmos.kext and applesmbios.kext repaired permissions and it booted all fine, had to use iATKOS kext for ICH9R so that my drives would show internal instead of orange external, then i installed 7300gt gfx string (i have a 7300SE/7200GS) and then my ethernet driver along with my audio driver and shutdown works, reboot works, sleep works. very very close to a real mac pro IMO :censored2:

i have a asus P5E and i installed retail leopard dmg from my external drive which had kalyway on it... used THIS GUIDE. i partitioned in GUID and installed pc_efi v8 and i started installing the dmg then put dsmos.kext and applesmbios.kext repaired permissions and it booted all fine, had to use iATKOS kext for ICH9R so that my drives would show internal instead of orange external, then i installed 7300gt gfx string (i have a 7300SE/7200GS) and then my ethernet driver along with my audio driver and shutdown works, reboot works, sleep works. very very close to a real mac pro IMO -_-

Sounds very very nice -_- Have a Geekbench score?

Would the P5E hardware be exactly the same as P5E WS PRO except for the internal sound card solution? Whatever it is, share your P5E patches (if there are any for sata ports, Audio/Sound, Gigabit, etc...sounds like you used something from iATKOS, if you can elaborate just a bit more) steps to the community if it doesn't take too much of your time. :D Your build sounds marvelous...Thanks for sharing with us!

I have Maximus formula and i tried to install kalyway 10.5.1 today. I have a ide dvdrw by the way. When I try to boot with kalyway dvd i get com.apple.boot.plist. is it because of the ide dvdrw ? if it is I'm going to buy a sata dvd rw.

I have Maximus formula and i tried to install kalyway 10.5.1 today. I have a ide dvdrw by the way. When I try to boot with kalyway dvd i get com.apple.boot.plist. is it because of the ide dvdrw ? if it is I'm going to buy a sata dvd rw.

Yes, you need a SATA DVD drive. I believe it is because the Kalyway disc itself uses EFI to boot.

Thanks for the answer. Another question is does leopard requires sata drivers to run in ahci mode or can i use my raid0 setup too. because in maximus formula's bios you can select achi or raid and i don't want to giveup using raid.

Leopard does not support RAID through through Intel chipset.