Thinking about buying Macmini

Suzuka

8 posts in this topic

well Im thinking about buying a mac mini, but I need some help

1) I have a 70GB harddrive, would I be able to take mac of the small 40gb HD and put it on the 70gb hd withour too much problems and will it fit in a mm(mac mini)

2) will it work with moniters with that pin kinda connection like most moniters?

Presently nobody except of some Apple folks knows the specifications of the new Mac Mini.

well Im thinking about buying a mac mini, but I need some help

1) I have a 70GB harddrive, would I be able to take mac of the small 40gb HD and put it on the 70gb hd withour too much problems and will it fit in a mm(mac mini)

Why are you talking about a 40GB HD? How do you know that the new Mac Mini will feature a hard drive with this capacity?

And it all depends on the type of harddrive that you will find in the upcoming system. Currently there are 2.5" notebook hard drives in the Mac Mini. But there have been some rumors that the new Mini might come with 3.5" desktop hard drives. Of course you cannot fit a 3.5" drive into a 2.5" bay, but vice versa, with the help of some adapters, this is possible.

2) will it work with moniters with that pin kinda connection like most moniters?

There are adaptors.

EDIT:

Are you perhaps only talking about the current Mac Mini models with PowerPC CPUs? Well, basically the same applies here, too: You can buy adaptors in order to connect your old monitors, but please mind that the display quality of the analog output on the old Mac Mini is purported to be quite disappointing. And concerning the harddrives: If your 70-something-GB-drive is a notebook 2.5" drive and not higher than 9.5mm, it will fit in. Please be warned that you might lose your warranty if you try to install the drive yourself, and the installation process is, compared to a standard PC beige box, not exactly trivial due to the cramped design of the current Mac Mini. But if you have already successfully dis- and reassembled notebooks in the past, I'm pretty confident you will easily manage to replace the hard drive in the Mini, too.

Presently nobody except of some Apple folks knows the specifications of the new Mac Mini.

Why are you talking about a 40GB HD? How do you know that the new Mac Mini will feature a hard drive with this capacity?

And it all depends on the type of harddrive that you will find in the upcoming system. Currently there are 2.5" notebook hard drives in the Mac Mini. But there have been some rumors that the new Mini might come with 3.5" desktop hard drives. Of course you cannot fit a 3.5" drive into a 2.5" bay, but vice versa, with the help of some adapters, this is possible.

There are adaptors.

EDIT:

Are you perhaps only talking about the current Mac Mini models with PowerPC CPUs? Well, basically the same applies here, too: You can buy adaptors in order to connect your old monitors, but please mind that the display quality of the analog output on the old Mac Mini is purported to be quite disappointing. And concerning the harddrives: If your 70-something-GB-drive is a notebook 2.5" drive and not higher than 9.5mm, it will fit in. Please be warned that you might lose your warranty if you try to install the drive yourself, and the installation process is, compared to a standard PC beige box, not exactly trivial due to the cramped design of the current Mac Mini. But if you have already successfully dis- and reassembled notebooks in the past, I'm pretty confident you will easily manage to replace the hard drive in the Mini, too.

you sound like your talking about a ibook, im talknig about those small boxes that act like a computer, and the 70GB drive, can I bend the inside of the mm around so it would fit? nad I checked the apple site

1.25GHz PowerPC G4

512MB DDR333 SDRAM

ATI Radeon 9200

32MB DDR video memory

40GB Ultra ATA hard drive

Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)

DVI or VGA video output

Optional AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth

Built-in 56k Internal Modem

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

also

DVI or VGA video output

I guess the pin is VGA so I guess that answers q 2

There are some MUCH better drives than the ones that come with the mini.

But, make sure you get a Hitachi 7k100 or one of the Seagate Momentus 7200.1 2.5" drives, as nothing else will fit in there. They do generate a little more heat than a 5400 drive, so I hope it is ok.

If you want to connect with a normal VGA connector, buy this Apple part, "Apple mini DVI to VGA display adapter M9320G/A".

But, make sure you get a Hitachi 7k100 or one of the Seagate Momentus 7200.1 2.5" drives, as nothing else will fit in there.

Huh? Are you sure? IIRC, the Mac Mini comes equipped with a Momentus 5400 rpm drive, so these drives work, too. There are so many other 2.5" drives, and the connectors and screw positions are all standardized. Why shouldn't these other drives fit in? Can you explain?

Here's even a shop that sells 2.5" drives for use in the Mac Mini, and they're offering different kinds of Hitachi drives (the 5k100 line) and Toshiba as as well as Fujitsu drives:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/hard-drives/

I was just looking on the mac site and found this

Use Your Own

If you already have a VGA monitor, just use the adapter included with Mac mini to plug it in. That means you can use almost any old CRT monitor or LCD flat panel display with Mac mini.

so that answers question 1

and as for the harddrive, Im just gunna get a case