Atheros AR5006 and 5007 Working.

TheTimster

206 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, I've bump into the problem with unable to turn the card on (Turn Airport On button didn't work).

I accidentally turn it on by going to Safari, and click on diagnose network. Then, keep pushing forward until the wizard asks you to turn on the Airport, check the box and wallah, it's on. Though, the status of the card is still red (failed), but it connects to network and I am posting as we speak. Quite strange.

http://bayimg.com/jAjjCAAbc

Here a screenshot attached to this problem. If you pay attention, you see that the network is working ok, but the airport icon in the menu top bar is still "Unconnected", as well as the Network setting in Preferences. Any idea how should I fix this?

I have Atheros card (5424 I think) with the ID 168c,1014. I did apply the IO80211Family.kext as suggested from the intel airport update from apple (download it somewhere off the net)

PM me or reply to my post, since everything seems to be lost after a few days in this thread.

Same thing here. When i use Tiger 10.4.8, Airport works great. No problem. Recently, i have formateded my Laptop (Acer 5040) and install Leopard. I have a Atheros AR5BMB5, and use it the 10.4.8 - Tiger IO811Family.kext. The Airport appears, detected, but no way to make it works (green light). Well, after reading your post, i disconect the RJ45 cable and try the Diagnostic Tool in Safari. BINGO! Works great, but the icon appears disconnected. Well, if someone can make this works, please post here. Here is my msn: pericles@compumaq.com.br for someone who wants to trade some info about this. Thanks a lot!

5007 not working after 4 weeks of trying. So i found another solution:

Sold my Acer Aspire 5720ZG and get myself brand new Macbook Pro. No more wireless problems. :)

Hah-hah! I have been encouraging people who visit the Acer thread I set up to not buy hackintosh but buy a real Mac but... this isn't quite what I had in mind! Also, not everyone at this stage in their school or work life has the money for the real thing, yet. Would be happy to see a solution to this one but google draws a blank for me. With the take up of the Asus EEE range being so huge, perhaps it is only a matter of time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Step to install IO80211Family.kext.zip file posted by TheTimster:-

1) Unzip the file at Desktop (for example) and you should get IO80211Family.kext folder

2) Make backup for your existing IO80211Family.kext folder (/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext) to safe location.

-- Run this in terminal:

$ sudo -s

$ mkdir /BackupExt

$ cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext /BackupExt/

3) Now you have your original kext file in /BackupExt folder. This usefull if you have problem later.

4) Now you have to copy the IO80211Family.kext folder from Desktop to original location

$ cp -R /Users/<your login id>/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

5) Remove kextcache file, so OS X will rebuild it at reboot.

$ rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

$ rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

6) Fix permission

$ diskutil repairPermissions /

7) Reboot

If you got kernel panic after reboot, boot with your installation DVD and use Terminal program to restore the original KEXT file from backup. Your partition should mount in /Volumes folder, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck. :dev:

Okey ..

I have Amilo 1718 with 5007EG wlan .. I've tried Timster files, but still doesn't work ... fyi ...

it seems Extensions.kextcahe doesn't exists.

I'm using Kalaway 10.5.2

HELP?

Okey ..

I have Amilo 1718 with 5007EG wlan .. I've tried Timster files, but still doesn't work ... fyi ...

it seems Extensions.kextcahe doesn't exists.

I'm using Kalaway 10.5.2

HELP?

I got the same errors, and ignored them. Rebooted, and the 5007EG in my Acer detected fine. :dev:

Using iAtkos 2.0i here, but have had it working on Kalaway 10.5.2 as well.

Can anyone confirm that this does/doesn't work with the Atheros AR5006x. I followed the instructions and it wasn't recognized, but I may be doing something wrong. BTW I'm running Kalyway 10.5.4 if that makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BuildSmart
Guys, mail Apple!!!

Say you have a 'wracked airport card, and have ordered a AR5007EG card', and ask how you can get it work.

Apple's service is 100%, so try it!!

I really doubt your suggestion has any value since to receive support you will have to provide a model/serial number for the laptop registered to you that has the faulty card and the first order of business would be to establish warranty of the product and then set up warranty replacement if it is within the period or sell you a replacement if it is not.

Did you already do this?

If you have already done this then why not just post the steps they gave you?

Being ex-apple I find it hard to believe and I highly doubt apple will explain how to make the AR5007EG work when it isn't one of their cards but if they did this for you why make everyone go through the same aggravation?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I have problems with atheros wifi.

TEST on kalyway 10.5.2

1st. of one I got this error at start [/sourceCache/AirportDriverAtheros5424/AirportDriverAtheros5424-312.34/src/driver/AtherosControler.cpp:481] loaded unsucces

2nd. I dont see the wifi adapter or airport adapter.

3er. I see the kext AtherosAirport loaded ....

4. In vista the adapter has auto power or by soft.

EDIT1 :

iATKOS 10.5.4 installed on other partition

1st. of one I got this error at start [/sourceCache/AirportDriverAtheros5424/AirportDriverAtheros5424-314.43.1/src/driver/AtherosControler.cpp:481] loaded unsucces

2nd. I see the wifi adapter network.

3er. I got a soft poweron button

4. I cant see the kext AtherosAirport loaded, but i can load manually AirportDriverAtheros, got error with AirportDriverAtheros5424

Any help?

Forget about 5007, its not supported yet.

For all of you who get the "loaded unsuccessfully" message on 5006 there is a chance

of getting you card working by changing the PCI IDs in the EEPROM space.

How can we achieve this?

Guest BuildSmart

Maybe it's just me but I have not yet found an Atheros card I was not able to make work including the AR5007 series because I have spent so much time on this subject.

Baring any BIOS whitelist (cause I don't have a laptop but do have a miniPCI and miniPCIe slot in my badaxe2 so I can use laptop adapters) I am able to recognize the card in OSX and reflash with modified firmware which includes rebranding with apple ID's.

For the most part you can perform the rebrand using the Atheros linux tools (don't ask me for instructions, tutorials or guides - use google) which was how I was doing it when I first started rebranding cards before I moved to a totally Mac OS X solution.

The key is in knowing exactly what options are available in your card based on the chipset and to rebrand accordingly and I have made several references to this so time to educate yourself by reading.

You will not get any AR5007xx working properly without rebranding the card, those that support 802.11a/b/g are much more compatible and are worth the effort to rebrand while the 802.11b/g cards can benefit from the rebrand, the effort is not worth the time in my opinion.

What I do see as a bigger problem is that no one seems to know exactly what hardware they actually have, they don't look for similar posts which might contain a solution, they wont take advice to make required changes and want a solution that requires nothing more than editing an Info.plist file to add their cards ID's and they demand a solution rather than ask in a respectful manner.

I have made many replies regarding the AR5007xx issues and one person took my advice made the changes and now enjoys the good life while everyone else finds it too difficult and want a step by step tutorial and this isn't going to happen.

• These are your only options!!!
  • you buy another card that works out of the box (AR5BXB6 are cheap on fleabay)
  • you write a driver that works with your existing card as is (I did this for the AR5001 but good luck to you)
  • you pay someone for their time to write you a driver(not economical for you and I'm not interested in writing it)
  • you buy a cheap Mac OS X compatible USB adapter that comes with driver for Mac OS X(so you don't waste more time playing with an incompatible device)
  • you give up on wireless all-together and stick with wired ethernet

Hi kizman!

Are you in same situation now? Did you try with iATKOS v4 10.5.4?

I got the same error on kalyway 10.5.2. Also installed iATKOS and now I see the airport card, i have a power on soft button, but still not working.

Any help?

My Atheros AR5007EG have AR5BXB63 chipset. I describe my setup at my sig below. I have soft-switch to turn ON my wireless. My chipset also Intel 945GM.

I have play around with Fedora 7 to get my Atheros AR5007EG working since madwifi cannot get it to work.

Somebody has suggest me to use ndiswrapper but my system hang when I try to use it. Just yesterday I noticed one module in Fedora 7 kernel prevent ndiswrapper function properly. I just recompile my kernel, and my Atheros detected and functioning.

This maybe nothing todo with Mac OS X. But it prove the soft-switch thing has nothing todo with my atheros failed to recognized in Mac OS X.

Hi kizman!

Are you in same situation now? Did you try with iATKOS v4 10.5.4?

I got the same error on kalyway 10.5.2. Also installed iATKOS and now I see the airport card, i have a power on soft button, but still not working.

Any help?

Hi siachori,

I have installed Kalyway 10.5.2, iATKOS v2i, iATKOS v4i & JaS 10.5.4. All of them can't get our beloved AR5007EG wireless card recognized. Actually, AR5007EG will not going to work in any release unless we hack the hardware. However, hacking or rebranding a hardware is not an easy job. I can't find any tools that can do the job.

I'm right now using Linksys wireless cardbus (WPC54G ver. 3) which is working wonderfully in any OSX release so far.

I think you have read BuildSmart's post which is not really helpful. He even did not mention the name of the tools that he use to rebrand his card. So, it is totally useless.

kizwan