Atheros AR5006 and 5007 Working.

TheTimster

206 posts in this topic

Hmm, I've bump into the problem with unable to turn the card on (Turn Airport On button didn't work).

I accidentally turn it on by going to Safari, and click on diagnose network. Then, keep pushing forward until the wizard asks you to turn on the Airport, check the box and wallah, it's on. Though, the status of the card is still red (failed), but it connects to network and I am posting as we speak. Quite strange.

http://bayimg.com/jAjjCAAbc

Here a screenshot attached to this problem. If you pay attention, you see that the network is working ok, but the airport icon in the menu top bar is still "Unconnected", as well as the Network setting in Preferences. Any idea how should I fix this?

I have Atheros card (5424 I think) with the ID 168c,1014. I did apply the IO80211Family.kext as suggested from the intel airport update from apple (download it somewhere off the net)

PM me or reply to my post, since everything seems to be lost after a few days in this thread.

post-193318-1205169131_thumb.jpg

post-193318-1205169808_thumb.png

still not working for me :)

if using windows has detected AR5007EG

if using ubuntu has detected AR5006

The reason ubuntu detects it as AR5006 is that all the AR5006-series cards (AR5006X, AR5006EX, AR5006EG, etc.) and 5007 cards have the same PCI-ID, 168c:001c. They only differ in the subsystem-ID, and the manufacturer's windows INF files have the proper subsystems identified. Ubuntu either doesn't check for subsystem-ids or doesn't have an up-to-date database.

You can test this out by installing an older generic Atheros driver on Windows. It will detect your 5007EG as a 5006X.

This is why the 5007EG doesn't work with the madwifi provided in ubuntu gutsy. However an update is available from the madwifi website.

If only we could get someone with skills to port madwifi to darwin.

Okay, i was messing around wiht the drivers for wireless cards because i couldnt get mine (atheros 5006 series vendor 168C device 001c) to work. I tried everything. I couldnt download the airport update becasue my hardware didnt meet the requirements, according to apple. So heres what i did. I went onto the apple support site and donwload the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Once i downloaded it i mounted the dmg and right clicked the update installer and "show package contents". Then, i opened the archive and extracted the kext that was in there. I simply overwrote the one included with osx and did all the neccesary repairs (chmod, chown, rm) and restarted. I booted up and BAM it was detected!! So i set it up and connected, BAM i have wireless!! I attached the kext for you guys so you wont have to extract it yourselves. Just overwrite, chown, chmod and remove the caches. Restart and you should be set!! Enjoy guys!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, sorry i've never actually posted here as I've never found anything useful.

EDIT2: Please post if this works for you or not.

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

can u help me with this?

im running 10.4.8 on acer Aspire 5610z\5613ZWLMI

i don't know how to get the id from the card so just as u know that.

Step to install IO80211Family.kext.zip file posted by TheTimster:-

1) Unzip the file at Desktop (for example) and you should get IO80211Family.kext folder

2) Make backup for your existing IO80211Family.kext folder (/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext) to safe location.

-- Run this in terminal:

$ sudo -s

$ mkdir /BackupExt

$ cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext /BackupExt/

3) Now you have your original kext file in /BackupExt folder. This usefull if you have problem later.

4) Now you have to copy the IO80211Family.kext folder from Desktop to original location

$ cp -R /Users/<your login id>/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

5) Remove kextcache file, so OS X will rebuild it at reboot.

$ rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

$ rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

6) Fix permission

$ diskutil repairPermissions /

7) Reboot

If you got kernel panic after reboot, boot with your installation DVD and use Terminal program to restore the original KEXT file from backup. Your partition should mount in /Volumes folder, if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck. :hysterical:

Hey it worked and its finding the configuration files but the problem is to connect to the internet...

is there a how to?

Hmm, I've bump into the problem with unable to turn the card on (Turn Airport On button didn't work).

I accidentally turn it on by going to Safari, and click on diagnose network. Then, keep pushing forward until the wizard asks you to turn on the Airport, check the box and wallah, it's on. Though, the status of the card is still red (failed), but it connects to network and I am posting as we speak. Quite strange.

http://bayimg.com/jAjjCAAbc

Here a screenshot attached to this problem. If you pay attention, you see that the network is working ok, but the airport icon in the menu top bar is still "Unconnected", as well as the Network setting in Preferences. Any idea how should I fix this?

I have Atheros card (5424 I think) with the ID 168c,1014. I did apply the IO80211Family.kext as suggested from the intel airport update from apple (download it somewhere off the net)

PM me or reply to my post, since everything seems to be lost after a few days in this thread.

yes! it's very strange. i have one atheros 5006x pcmcia card, i tried everythingt but all failed, when i read above reply and do it.

now ,oh, it is running ~~~!!!

the windows top right display the airport not open .

Can you please help me with installing my AR5006X. I have Abit Airpace PCI-e WiFi card and I'm a total noob regarding OS X ( finally managed to install Kalway 10.5.1 on my system ).

I'm looking at this topic for about an hour and I'm very confused. Can anyone help me to install AR5006X. If it's possible, step by step would be nice. Thanks in advance.

I've tried using this but cannot get it to work. After cp/chown/mod/etc and restart, it hangs at the blue screen before Finder loads. I have to wait for the screen to turn off after a few minutes, then move the mouse and it will finish loading. After that, I lose the LAN connection and wireless doesn't work either. I am trying it on a Compaq C751NR.

As far as I can see, nobody has managed to get AR5007eg working using this method. Or any other method for that matter, on OSX86.

So I think the title of this thread is quite misleading. Perhaps a good idea to change the title?

I would of course just be happy if somebody would prove me wrong here... I´ve been trying to find a solution for AR5007.

I "managed" to almost get it recognized but only with "HAL status 13" error message. This is same error message I found in linux. Madwifi & Atheros has release patch to fix this problem in linux (currently only for 32-bit linux). However it is impossible to port the patch for OSX since the patch is a binary patch (Madwifi driver for linux itself is proprietary driver, not fully open source).

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I got the same Hal Status 13 message...

Has somebody tried to contact the people behind Madwifi? Perhaps they wouldn´t mind helping us out a bit? :whistle:

thats a good idea do you have their contact info? Iwould email them

I'm sure someone there wouldn't mind helping us out...

I disagree. Why would a Linux project care about OSX? madWifi is a complex and advanced driver that has been in development for years. Porting it to OSX would not be easy. It would take weeks of effort.

You can ask but I will be very surprised if they are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Change this title, it pisses me off everytime i come on this forum and see this title. NOONE HAS GOTTEN THE 5007 TO WORK. Does this forum have no sort of quality control/moderation?

• 3 weeks later...