ioreg -l | grep 168c
I get ....
| | | "compatible" = <"pci10cf,139c","pci168c,1c","pciclass,02000$
(so I know that my card is there)

Then I run .....
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
I get...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Interfaces</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>BSD Name</key>
<string>en0</string>
<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<false/>
<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>IOLocation</key>
<string></string>
<key>IOMACAddress</key>
<data>
ABbPoF5V
</data>
<key>IOPathMatch</key>
<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/Apple$/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO802$x/IO80211Interface</string>

</dict>
<<<<<<FIREWIRE STUFF EDITED OUT>>>>>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

Can someone who has a working card do the same and let me know what you get.
Especially for the IOService string which is LONG any you'll have to move along with the code...

By the way I'm running 10.4.9 on a Fujitsu a6025 and everything but the ethernet and wireless is working.

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
You claim that you have Atheros AR5006EXS. But in the NetworkInterfaces.plist, your system bind en0 with broadcom wireless adapter. Do you have two wireless card in one system?

grendude2

grendude2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the word claim as if I don't know what I'm doing... but yeah, I know what I got and it's one card..
And OS X's IDing of my card is the problem...
My guess is that other people are having this problem and don't know about it..
If so, I'd like to hear from either them OR someone who has it working..
Do you have anything to contribute..?

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Thanks for the word claim as if I don't know what I'm doing... but yeah, I know what I got and it's one card..
And OS X's IDing of my card is the problem...
My guess is that other people are having this problem and don't know about it..
If so, I'd like to hear from either them OR someone who has it working..
Do you have anything to contribute..?

Obviously you misunderstand me. Ok, whatever....

I have other laptop (acer) with broadcom BCM4318 mini-PCI. This card work beautifully with little kext editing in OSX 10.4.8. However, when I run "ioreg", I can't find it. This card appear in System Profiler. Any thought?

My laptop have Atheros AR5007EG, and it not working/detected. But I can see this card when I run "ioreg".

Some of us (with acer laptop) (including me) believe this have something to do with PCI-express bus in Acer laptop. But if this true, why I can see it using "ioreg". Any thought guys?

grendude2

grendude2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
what do you see when you run

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

on your working system and non-working system
is it indexed???

I think this may be a contributing factor to the root of the problem
(obviously the pci thing is an issue but I've seen working wireless cards without any pci recogntion in apple's system profiler.. just internal id's functioning)
There isn't much I can do to issue a bios update for my laptop, so I've got to try to work arround it..
hoping there is a solution..

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
This is my NetworkInterfaces.plist file (attached file). This is from non-working system. The other laptop (working system) not with me right now. If I'm not mistaken, it is indexed too. Actually both laptops is a same model except one is a year older (have broadcom wireless adapter - working system). Right now I use USB wireless adapter for networking/communication purpose at my non-working system. I have put my non-working system specification at my signature.

Attached Files

grendude2

grendude2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Thanks but this one isn't helping that much.
Since I don't have your card I can't play arround with your working code, too much.
What I'm looking for is how OS X is configuring a working AR5006 card.

skanimal

skanimal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah it worked! Very cool(also in leopard!)

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Thats's EXACTLY it !!! I put a ORIGINAL APPLE Atheros 5006X WLAN Mini PCI Express card into my Toshiba Laptop, with Apples very own

<array>
<string>pci106b,0086</string>
<string>pci168c,1c</string>
</array>

even according to Ubuntu, and it is NOT working, no matter with which approach. The crux right now are wrong values somewhere in the PCI and/or ACPI kexts of some of our Laptops which differ from those Apple is shipping those kexts with.

WE NEED HELP :) ! please

hey i've got a 5006 Macbook airport card as well. does yours work in ubuntu? mine works perfectly in ubuntu and xp. can't see why it doesn't work in osx.

grendude2

grendude2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Hey, I'm getting the same error with a ar5006exs..
did you get this problem solved.. if so, how??
any help appreciated...

Unfortunately, not working for me. I have Atheros AR5007EG (Atheros AR5BXB63) in my Acer Aspire 3680.
This is what I got from dmesg:-

Registering For 802.11 Events[HCIController][setupHardware] AFH Is SupportedJettisoning kernel linker.Resetting IOCatalogue.GFX0: family specific matching failsdisplay: family specific matching failsMatching service count = 2Matching service count = 4Matching service count = 4Matching service count = 4Matching service count = 4Matching service count = 5GFX0: family specific matching failsdisplay: family specific matching failsGFX0: family specific matching failsdisplay: family specific matching failsApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v6.2<strong class='bbc'>start [/SourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully</strong>GFX0: family specific matching failsdisplay: family specific matching failsGFX0: match category IOFramebuffer existsIPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled

Azurael

Azurael

How many Ace Rimmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
It won't work on the 5007 because it's not supported in the upstream Atheros HAL which MadWiFi has, let alone the antiquated version Apple uses. Part of the reason MadWiFi has switched to OpenHAL now is that Atheros are very slow to update theirs (which is presumably the same one they supply to Apple.)

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

hey i've got a 5006 Macbook airport card as well. does yours work in ubuntu? mine works perfectly in ubuntu and xp. can't see why it doesn't work in osx.

It is not working in OS X because of errors in the DSDT table in the BIOS. We can decompress the BIOS image, fix the errors but cannot recompile the open BIOS file because we are lacking the adequate tool from Phoenix, which is anything else but publically available ...

Under Linux the correct DSDT table has been compiled into some kernels, so drivers accessing the PCI bus via ACPI are routed via the correct values in the kernel rather than the wrong values in the BIOS.

Cheers,
Bugs

Azurael

Azurael

How many Ace Rimmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
Petition your laptop manufacturer for a working BIOS. Too many DSDTs are compiled with Microsoft's crappy tools and thus completely invalid and there's no excuse for it.

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Is it possible that other bios revisions might not have broken DSDT?
Also, if I flash my BIOS, do I lose my Vista activation/SLIC data?

melv1n

melv1n

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Im not sure if it doesnt work its your DSDT is a blanket rule.
Iv'e recompiled mine with no errors yet this guide gives me no love in leo or tiger.

Peace

TheTimster

TheTimster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
guys, leo added support for a crapload of new wifi cards. try geting a hold of leo's io80211 and ionetworking kexts (you need both as they're linked together). i'm posting up my tiger ionetworking for those who want to use my io80211 driver in leopard (since leo needs either both leo or both tiger versions).

Attached Files

GekkePrutser

GekkePrutser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Also no luck doing this on the AR5BXB63 (=AR5007) in my Asus EEEPC. :( It comes up with the 'Loaded unsuccessfully' message. Thanks for the hints though, I'll keep checking the topic in case anyone else has more luck!

By the way, I tried copying those kexts off my Leopard box (a real mac, don't know if that matters) but that caused a kernel panic and I was unable to boot.

catfesh

catfesh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:hacking

Also no luck doing this on the AR5BXB63 (=AR5007) in my Asus EEEPC. :( It comes up with the 'Loaded unsuccessfully' message. Thanks for the hints though, I'll keep checking the topic in case anyone else has more luck!

By the way, I tried copying those kexts off my Leopard box (a real mac, don't know if that matters) but that caused a kernel panic and I was unable to boot.

Hmmm.... the Linux lspci claims that the card is an AR5006EG...
Eee Linux Detail

But it's quite clearly an AR5BXB63 and it doesn't work in OS X. So is Linux mis-reporting the card, or does the Linux 5006EG driver actually support the AR5007?

I'm not familiar enough with hardware drivers to tell, but I presume that the Linux driver for this family of cards is opensource (it's not one of those infernal binary-only jobbies is it?) so if there's any special setup required for 5007 it will be obvious from the Linux source.

GekkePrutser

GekkePrutser

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

But it's quite clearly an AR5BXB63 and it doesn't work in OS X. So is Linux mis-reporting the card, or does the Linux 5006EG driver actually support the AR5007?

Hey Cyberface! Good to see you here too! :) Yeah I'm pretty sure the AR5BXB63 is an AR5007. There is a known problem in the Linux drivers that the 5007 is detected as a 5006 because it uses the same PCI ID. See the bug tracker on the Linux drivers here: http://madwifi.org/ticket/1192

As far as I know Asus use a modified version of the madwifi drivers on their own OS, which has a binary 'blob' to support the 5007 :D

ergosteur

ergosteur

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Eee Linux Detail

I'm not familiar enough with hardware drivers to tell, but I presume that the Linux driver for this family of cards is opensource (it's not one of those infernal binary-only jobbies is it?) so if there's any special setup required for 5007 it will be obvious from the Linux source.

I actually own a 5007, 5006EXS (Apple AirPort) and 5006EGS (Gigabyte GN-WI01T). They all show up in lspci as AR5006EG.

Also Windows installs all of these cards as AR5006X unless the subsystem ID of the card matches one in the inf (these vary by version, and according to where the driver was downloaded). Sharing the PCIID was a bad move by Atheros IMO, since the chipsets can only be really identified by their physical markings and they don't even use the same driver.

For example, to get the AirPort 5006EXS working as a/b/g and SuperAG 108mbps I had to modify the inf and add the Apple subsystem ID as a 5006EXS. Also, using a 5007 in WinXP with the driver that came on my laptop's resource CD caused it to be detected as a 5006X with a "this device cannot start" error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy