Atheros AR5006 and 5007 Working.

TheTimster

206 posts in this topic

It won't work on the 5007 because it's not supported in the upstream Atheros HAL which MadWiFi has, let alone the antiquated version Apple uses. Part of the reason MadWiFi has switched to OpenHAL now is that Atheros are very slow to update theirs (which is presumably the same one they supply to Apple.)

hey i've got a 5006 Macbook airport card as well. does yours work in ubuntu? mine works perfectly in ubuntu and xp. can't see why it doesn't work in osx.
It is not working in OS X because of errors in the DSDT table in the BIOS. We can decompress the BIOS image, fix the errors but cannot recompile the open BIOS file because we are lacking the adequate tool from Phoenix, which is anything else but publically available ...

Under Linux the correct DSDT table has been compiled into some kernels, so drivers accessing the PCI bus via ACPI are routed via the correct values in the kernel rather than the wrong values in the BIOS.

Cheers,

Bugs

• 2 weeks later...

Also no luck doing this on the AR5BXB63 (=AR5007) in my Asus EEEPC. :( It comes up with the 'Loaded unsuccessfully' message. Thanks for the hints though, I'll keep checking the topic in case anyone else has more luck!

By the way, I tried copying those kexts off my Leopard box (a real mac, don't know if that matters) but that caused a kernel panic and I was unable to boot.

Also no luck doing this on the AR5BXB63 (=AR5007) in my Asus EEEPC. :( It comes up with the 'Loaded unsuccessfully' message. Thanks for the hints though, I'll keep checking the topic in case anyone else has more luck!

By the way, I tried copying those kexts off my Leopard box (a real mac, don't know if that matters) but that caused a kernel panic and I was unable to boot.

Hmmm.... the Linux lspci claims that the card is an AR5006EG...

Eee Linux Detail

But it's quite clearly an AR5BXB63 and it doesn't work in OS X. So is Linux mis-reporting the card, or does the Linux 5006EG driver actually support the AR5007?

I'm not familiar enough with hardware drivers to tell, but I presume that the Linux driver for this family of cards is opensource (it's not one of those infernal binary-only jobbies is it?) so if there's any special setup required for 5007 it will be obvious from the Linux source.

But it's quite clearly an AR5BXB63 and it doesn't work in OS X. So is Linux mis-reporting the card, or does the Linux 5006EG driver actually support the AR5007?

Hey Cyberface! Good to see you here too! :) Yeah I'm pretty sure the AR5BXB63 is an AR5007. There is a known problem in the Linux drivers that the 5007 is detected as a 5006 because it uses the same PCI ID. See the bug tracker on the Linux drivers here: http://madwifi.org/ticket/1192

As far as I know Asus use a modified version of the madwifi drivers on their own OS, which has a binary 'blob' to support the 5007 :D

Eee Linux Detail

I'm not familiar enough with hardware drivers to tell, but I presume that the Linux driver for this family of cards is opensource (it's not one of those infernal binary-only jobbies is it?) so if there's any special setup required for 5007 it will be obvious from the Linux source.

I actually own a 5007, 5006EXS (Apple AirPort) and 5006EGS (Gigabyte GN-WI01T). They all show up in lspci as AR5006EG.

Also Windows installs all of these cards as AR5006X unless the subsystem ID of the card matches one in the inf (these vary by version, and according to where the driver was downloaded). Sharing the PCIID was a bad move by Atheros IMO, since the chipsets can only be really identified by their physical markings and they don't even use the same driver.

For example, to get the AirPort 5006EXS working as a/b/g and SuperAG 108mbps I had to modify the inf and add the Apple subsystem ID as a 5006EXS. Also, using a 5007 in WinXP with the driver that came on my laptop's resource CD caused it to be detected as a 5006X with a "this device cannot start" error.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump this topic yet again without a success story, but I've noticed people complaining of a lack of AR5007 support - I'm trying to get WiFi working on my Eee PC, so I have the same problem.

What no-one's mentioned yet is that there is a patch for madwifi that adds 5007 support:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu#wireless_in...madwifi_drivers

I've no idea if that makes it any easier to get 5007 drivers working in OSX, but if that pushes things in the right direction then it's good for all of us!

Hi All,

Why Atheros wifi card 5007 is giving so much problem regarding driver other than windows. In Linux also, it is not working natively. Again, I can't find anybody who has a working Atheros 5007 on Leopard. Can we hope this card will work one day on Leopard. And what is the status of the current driver development work for Atheros 5007 on Leopard. Lets hope for the best.

• 4 weeks later...

the 5007 is now suported by madwifi i know that im not discovering the hot water or the wheel but may be some of the coders haven`t noticed that:

from the madwifi project :

Atheros AR5007EG

Chipset: AR2425 / AR5007EG

URL: http://atheros.com/pt/AR5007EG.htm

Supports: 802.11b 802.11g

Interface: PCI-Express x1

Device Information: Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. Unknown device 001c (rev 01),Subsystem: AMBIT Microsystem Corp. Unknown device 3065

Notes: not supported by HAL as of 2007.04.28 - resturns Hal status 13

Notes: Suported by ndiswrapper with windows driver, but some user reports crash problems

Notes: Instructions about how to use the windows driver + ndiswrapper

Notes: works fine with ndiswrapper, using old drivers, search ubuntu forums

Notes: Sometimes erroneously reported as an AR5006EG by lspci

Notes: Works perfectly with latest madwifi snapshot and this patch --> http://madwifi.org/ticket/1679 <-

Notes: This patch is tested and working on:

Notes: Acer Aspire 5315, Acer Aspire 5613WLMi, Toshiba Satellite A210, LG E500 and more (post your models here)

Notes: How-to compile madwifi and the patch

I think that now when its suported from the MadWifi someone colud try to think out a solution

My Atheros AR5007EG have AR5BXB63 chipset. I describe my setup at my sig below. I have soft-switch to turn ON my wireless. My chipset also Intel 945GM.

I have play around with Fedora 7 to get my Atheros AR5007EG working since madwifi cannot get it to work.

Somebody has suggest me to use ndiswrapper but my system hang when I try to use it. Just yesterday I noticed one module in Fedora 7 kernel prevent ndiswrapper function properly. I just recompile my kernel, and my Atheros detected and functioning.

This maybe nothing todo with Mac OS X. But it prove the soft-switch thing has nothing todo with my atheros failed to recognized in Mac OS X.

I having problems getting this card to work on OS X but using madwifi under linux, this device works perfectly, there is a patched madwifi driver at the madwifi site, just download, compile and install, works like a charm, but you have to disable HAL first! I did this on ubuntu 7.10

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, i was messing around wiht the drivers for wireless cards because i couldnt get mine (atheros 5006 series vendor 168C device 001c) to work. I tried everything. I couldnt download the airport update becasue my hardware didnt meet the requirements, according to apple. So heres what i did. I went onto the apple support site and donwload the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Once i downloaded it i mounted the dmg and right clicked the update installer and "show package contents". Then, i opened the archive and extracted the kext that was in there. I simply overwrote the one included with osx and did all the neccesary repairs (chmod, chown, rm) and restarted. I booted up and BAM it was detected!! So i set it up and connected, BAM i have wireless!! I attached the kext for you guys so you wont have to extract it yourselves. Just overwrite, chown, chmod and remove the caches. Restart and you should be set!! Enjoy guys!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, sorry i've never actually posted here as I've never found anything useful.

EDIT2: Please post if this works for you or not.

hi

i got Atheros AR5007EG and i have tried every thing on the web... :P

so any suqestions what i should do?

PS:

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

Acer Aspire 5610z

JaS Mac OS X 10.4.8 Tiger