Atheros AR5006 and 5007 Working.

TheTimster

206 posts in this topic

Thats's EXACTLY it !!! I put a ORIGINAL APPLE Atheros 5006X WLAN Mini PCI Express card into my Toshiba Laptop, with Apples very own

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

</array>

even according to Ubuntu, and it is NOT working, no matter with which approach. The crux right now are wrong values somewhere in the PCI and/or ACPI kexts of some of our Laptops which differ from those Apple is shipping those kexts with.

WE NEED HELP :( ! please

I don't think mini-pci-e actually the cause of our problem. My friend have broadcom mini-pci-e in his Acer Aspire 3680 and it working after following guideline for broadcom in this forum.

I don't think mini-pci-e actually the cause of our problem. My friend have broadcom mini-pci-e in his Acer Aspire 3680 and it working after following guideline for broadcom in this forum.

Acer Aspire 3680 - JaS OSX 10.4.8 with PPF1 & PPF2

BCM94318 MPG 802.11b/g MiniPCI (working)

WELL GUYS WITH WORKING ATHEROS WLAN here's what I am soliciting you to do for us poor ones:

the IO80211Family.kext is "intertwined" with 6 more kexts (in a chain of dependencies):

IONetworkingFamily.kext

IOPCIFamily.kext

IOACPIFamily.kext

AppleAPIC.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

so what I am asking you to do is zip up these kexts and attach them to your next posting here. That's our last chance to see if we can really get this going kext-wise.

I would REALLY appreciate some of you guys take a few minutes of your time and help us out this way ;)

(please also tell us which Version of Mac OS 10.4.x you are running)

Thank you very much,

Bugs

WELL GUYS WITH WORKING ATHEROS WLAN here's what I am soliciting you to do for us poor ones:

(...)

Thank you very much,

Bugs

This is the part of DSDT we need to change in order to get our PCIEx bus working:

Scope(\_SB) {
 Method(_INI,0,NotSerialized) {
   If(DTSE /* \DTSE */) {
	 TRAP /* \TRAP */(0x47)
   }
   Store(0x07D0,OSYS)
   If(CondRefOf(_OSI,Local0)) {
	 If(_OSI /* \_OSI */("Linux")) {
	   Store(0x03E8,OSYS)
	 } Else {
	   Store(0x07D1,OSYS)
	   If(_OSI /* \_OSI */("Windows 2001 SP2")) {
		 Store(0x07D2,OSYS)
	   }
	   If(_OSI /* \_OSI */("Windows 2001.1")) {
		 Store(0x07D3,OSYS)
	   }
	   If(_OSI /* \_OSI */("Windows 2001.1 SP1")) {
		 Store(0x07D4,OSYS)
	   }
	   If(_OSI /* \_OSI */("Windows 2006")) {
		 Store(0x07D6,OSYS)
	   }
	   If(LAnd(MPEN /* \MPEN */,LEqual(OSYS /* \OSYS */,0x07D1))) {
		 TRAP /* \TRAP */(0x3D)
	   }
	 }
   }
 }

We're interested in storing 0x07D6 in OSYS to get it to work. The rest of this code is not needed then. Anyway, if there's anyone who could help me with it (or even would like to write the kext/module/part of kernel/...) feel free to ask me for details.

BTW. there's a patch for Linux kernel which is "overwriting" the DSDT and loading modified when system boots up. May be good reference or something (I'm not a XNU kernel guru at all).

And yeah, this is a part of DSDT from Toshiba BIOS image.

Cheers,

Mik

P.S.

Feel free to delete this post if you find it not useful.

hi Mik,

thanks for posting this, now that looks awfully solvable, doesn't it? When you first mentioned DSDT I thought we would need to get into some kind of binary/hex hacking, but with the Phoenix BIOS editor this looks really organized!

So you are sure we need to store 0x07D6 in OSYS to get it to work. What we need then now is the people with working Atheros MiniPCIe WLAN to post the links to the BIOS Updates of their Laptops, right? Because then you could open these BIOSes (which have a Mac OS x86 compatible DSDT) and see how (with which name) 0x07D6 is stored in OSYS, from how I understand it.

So community, all you would need to do now is post your BIOS links :D

Thanks,

Bugs

[EDIT] I have done some Google research on this topic, darn it seems we are so close .. Toshiba's buggily implemented DSDT-Tables are also the cause for sound and LAN not working in Linux/ Unix (incl. Mac OS x86). If the Linux guys have solved it, we should be able to get this going, too .. :angel:

I don't really understand what you talking about, so I can't help with that. But if we'll find a solution this way, I'm in ;)
if you want to inform yourself about what DSDT means and what it is just read the lines in this wiki. In this thread in the Toshiba forums you can read that the DSDT table is really broken.

I just talked to Toshiba Germany: Toshiba ONLY supports Windows, they don't care if other OSes run or don't run on their machines .. :(

So the only other possibilities would be to:

a) call Toshiba Japan and find a Linux freak in the BIOS development department .. the chances equal pretty much zero I guess.

B) use the Linux method as suggested by Mik to overwrite the buggy DSDT table with a DSDTInject.kext (analog to ALCInject for the AppleHDA.kext) ..

The good thing about Mac OS X is that it is using a micro kernel with lots of k-XTs, in contrast to Linux with its macro kernel, which always has to be compiled new after System changes.

if you want to inform yourself about what DSDT means and what it is just read the lines in this wiki. In this thread in the Toshiba forums you can read that the DSDT table is really broken.

I just talked to Toshiba Germany: Toshiba ONLY supports Windows, they don't care if other OSes run or don't run on their machines .. :(

So the only other possibilities would be to:

a) call Toshiba Japan and find a Linux freak in the BIOS development department .. the chances equal pretty much zero I guess.

:thumbsup_anim: use the Linux method as suggested by Mik to overwrite the buggy DSDT table with a DSDTInject.kext (analog to ALCInject for the AppleHDA.kext) ..

The good thing about Mac OS X is that it is using a micro kernel with lots of k-XTs, in contrast to Linux with its macro kernel, which always has to be compiled new after System changes.

BugsBunny, do you know other laptop model that has been affected by this thing (DSDT)? I hope acer don't have the same problem. How do I check it? Oh... sorry about that broadcom... it actually miniPCI.

What type of PCI does IOPCIFamily.kext file support in 10.4.X? PCI, PCI-e, miniPCI, miniPCI-e?

BugsBunny, do you know other laptop model that has been affected by this thing (DSDT)? I hope acer don't have the same problem. How do I check it? Oh... sorry about that broadcom... it actually miniPCI.

What type of PCI does IOPCIFamily.kext file support in 10.4.X? PCI, PCI-e, miniPCI, miniPCI-e?

Kizwan,

You can search the DB at: http://acpi.sf.net/ and see if you're model is affected (most of the "broken" DSDT are listed there).

Cheers,

Mik

Mine either.
.. and yet, using the kernel patch fix in your Gentoo Linux fixed sound for you, as you said here. I wish you had a happy moment like that in THIS forum .. ;)

@ kizwan: the blacklist is very superficial and not up-to-date, so forget it. My exact model is not in the bad-DSDT drop down list, either, but from what I read elsewhere pretty much the entire Toshiba P-100/105 series is effected, also the Lenovo 3000 N100, well and all the other models in the drop down list .. (which is A LOT ..) :(

To be honest: are that really "mistakes" - occurring in such amounts? I am not a fan of conspiracy theories, but wouldn't it be Microsoft's interest to have as many machines out there that don't really run other OSes than Windoze at 100%? Large parts of all the BIOSes out there are supplied directly by Intel and then incorporated by the brand companies. Microsoft and Intel are working very closely together - they HAVE to - so that Windows OS and Intel-Chipsets work together. How much influence :P does MS have on Intel? They are very likely to wanna have as much influence on chipset architects as possible ..

Just brooding ..

• 2 weeks later...

(not to get this off topic, just commenting on the usb option)

Things is - on Acer w AR5007 - I don't know if that works either.

My brief history: I purchased a Dell minipcie broadcom card. Don't have the number right now, but guaranteed compatible based on other systems. Not working. Likely Acer issue. I purchased a 3rd party manufacturer guaranteed compatible OS X USB2 dongle (only one I am aware of, so not inexpensive) and can't get it to work either. Network preferences just crashes regardless of installation options. Maybe I need to ditch v1.4i and try different installer? Older one? Maybe install without any mini-pci e card present?

• 2 weeks later...
so.. did anyone get it workin? any news?

i didnt do anythin on this topic since im happy that my systems stable as far though..

just got online with my new asus z53t using this .kext

and let me say that for a € 600 laptop is way way better than my old amilo: totally awesome!!!

(gonna sell my amilo pretty soon... tomorrow i'll try to get my audio working and then i'll prepare my new signature).

don't know if it just a matter of dependencies for those of you who can't get this one working...

i'm using uphuck 10.4.9 v. 1.4a

in case i can give you further details on my kexts version.

ciao

• 3 weeks later...

I have an AR5006EXS

When I run (in terminal)......

ioreg -l | grep 168c

I get ....

| | | "compatible" = <"pci10cf,139c","pci168c,1c","pciclass,02000$

(so I know that my card is there)

Then I run .....

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

I get...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Interfaces</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en0</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<false/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABbPoF5V

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/Apple$/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/pci14e4,4311@0/AirPort_Brcm43xx/IO802$x/IO80211Interface</string>

</dict>

<<<<<<FIREWIRE STUFF EDITED OUT>>>>>

</array>

</dict>

</plist>

Can someone who has a working card do the same and let me know what you get.

Especially for the IOService string which is LONG any you'll have to move along with the code...

By the way I'm running 10.4.9 on a Fujitsu a6025 and everything but the ethernet and wireless is working.

Thanks for the word claim as if I don't know what I'm doing... but yeah, I know what I got and it's one card..

And OS X's IDing of my card is the problem...

My guess is that other people are having this problem and don't know about it..

If so, I'd like to hear from either them OR someone who has it working..

Do you have anything to contribute..?

Thanks for the word claim as if I don't know what I'm doing... but yeah, I know what I got and it's one card..

And OS X's IDing of my card is the problem...

My guess is that other people are having this problem and don't know about it..

If so, I'd like to hear from either them OR someone who has it working..

Do you have anything to contribute..?

Obviously you misunderstand me. Ok, whatever....

I have other laptop (acer) with broadcom BCM4318 mini-PCI. This card work beautifully with little kext editing in OSX 10.4.8. However, when I run "ioreg", I can't find it. This card appear in System Profiler. Any thought?

My laptop have Atheros AR5007EG, and it not working/detected. But I can see this card when I run "ioreg".

Some of us (with acer laptop) (including me) believe this have something to do with PCI-express bus in Acer laptop. But if this true, why I can see it using "ioreg". Any thought guys?

what do you see when you run

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

on your working system and non-working system

is it indexed???

I think this may be a contributing factor to the root of the problem

(obviously the pci thing is an issue but I've seen working wireless cards without any pci recogntion in apple's system profiler.. just internal id's functioning)

There isn't much I can do to issue a bios update for my laptop, so I've got to try to work arround it..

hoping there is a solution..

This is my NetworkInterfaces.plist file (attached file). This is from non-working system. The other laptop (working system) not with me right now. If I'm not mistaken, it is indexed too. Actually both laptops is a same model except one is a year older (have broadcom wireless adapter - working system). Right now I use USB wireless adapter for networking/communication purpose at my non-working system. I have put my non-working system specification at my signature.

NetworkInterfaces.plist.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Thats's EXACTLY it !!! I put a ORIGINAL APPLE Atheros 5006X WLAN Mini PCI Express card into my Toshiba Laptop, with Apples very own

<array>

<string>pci106b,0086</string>

<string>pci168c,1c</string>

</array>

even according to Ubuntu, and it is NOT working, no matter with which approach. The crux right now are wrong values somewhere in the PCI and/or ACPI kexts of some of our Laptops which differ from those Apple is shipping those kexts with.

WE NEED HELP :) ! please

hey i've got a 5006 Macbook airport card as well. does yours work in ubuntu? mine works perfectly in ubuntu and xp. can't see why it doesn't work in osx.

Hey, I'm getting the same error with a ar5006exs..

did you get this problem solved.. if so, how??

any help appreciated...

Unfortunately, not working for me. I have Atheros AR5007EG (Atheros AR5BXB63) in my Acer Aspire 3680.

This is what I got from dmesg:-

Registering For 802.11 Events
[HCIController][setupHardware] AFH Is Supported
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Resetting IOCatalogue.
GFX0: family specific matching fails
display: family specific matching fails
Matching service count = 2
Matching service count = 4
Matching service count = 5
ApplePS2Trackpad: Synaptics TouchPad v6.2
[b]start [/sourceCache/AirPortDriverAtheros5424/AirPortDriverAtheros5424-235.9.3/src/driver/AtherosController.cpp:480] loaded unsuccessfully[/b]
GFX0: match category IOFramebuffer exists
IPv6 packet filtering initialized, default to accept, logging disabled