Atheros AR5006 and 5007 Working.

TheTimster

206 posts in this topic

i have a atheros ar5007

( Vendor ID = 168c Device ID = 001c)iv'e installed iAtkos s3 on my Fujitsu Siemens li 2727 last week

got everything working from install but not wireless card, was told to try this forum.

i have the IO80211Family.kext file on my desktop,

im a newb to os x and need help :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am running iAtkos v7 on my eeepc 900HA.

This has a 5007 I believe, I've used a pkg on kexts.com that was marked as AtherosAR5007EG. I installed this pkg and I can see the Airport Icon on my taskbar, but it cannot see any APs or turn off, so that is as far as I got, if anyone can help, it would be great

• 1 month later...
Okay, i was messing around wiht the drivers for wireless cards because i couldnt get mine (atheros 5006 series vendor 168C device 001c) to work. I tried everything. I couldnt download the airport update becasue my hardware didnt meet the requirements, according to apple. So heres what i did. I went onto the apple support site and donwload the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Once i downloaded it i mounted the dmg and right clicked the update installer and "show package contents". Then, i opened the archive and extracted the kext that was in there. I simply overwrote the one included with osx and did all the neccesary repairs (chmod, chown, rm) and restarted. I booted up and BAM it was detected!! So i set it up and connected, BAM i have wireless!! I attached the kext for you guys so you wont have to extract it yourselves. Just overwrite, chown, chmod and remove the caches. Restart and you should be set!! Enjoy guys!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, sorry i've never actually posted here as I've never found anything useful.

EDIT2: Please post if this works for you or not.

Did anyone try the same procedure for enabling Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter in ACER Aspire 5715z?

Waiting for any response...!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Okay, i was messing around wiht the drivers for wireless cards because i couldnt get mine (atheros 5006 series vendor 168C device 001c) to work. I tried everything. I couldnt download the airport update becasue my hardware didnt meet the requirements, according to apple. So heres what i did. I went onto the apple support site and donwload the Airport Extreme Update 2007-004. Once i downloaded it i mounted the dmg and right clicked the update installer and "show package contents". Then, i opened the archive and extracted the kext that was in there. I simply overwrote the one included with osx and did all the neccesary repairs (chmod, chown, rm) and restarted. I booted up and BAM it was detected!! So i set it up and connected, BAM i have wireless!! I attached the kext for you guys so you wont have to extract it yourselves. Just overwrite, chown, chmod and remove the caches. Restart and you should be set!! Enjoy guys!!

EDIT: If this is in the wrong forum, please move it, sorry i've never actually posted here as I've never found anything useful.

EDIT2: Please post if this works for you or not.

Sorry to tell you the bad news, but it didn't work for me (Acer AspireOne 110 with Atheros 5006G). Isn't there a straightforward installer to simplify things? We Windows users hate complications! I had the same problem with the Realtek LAN card until I installed Realtek's official MacOS drivers. Why wouldn't Atheros provide official drivers? Do they fear Apple? Come on! Could anyone of you programmers provide a WORKING driver that doesn't need any modifications? Please? Thank you!