1.2 Tulip Ethernet Driver for 10.4.3 and up

wmarsh

72 posts in this topic

Hey wmarsh,

I just installed Leopard 10.5.0 et the Tulip 1.2 driver "seems" to work fine with my Linksys LNE100TX v5.1.

DHCP works correctly, browsing internet works too, etc...

But problem! :D

When I download a large file at a fast speed (for example I was downloading the Leopard 10.5.1 update through Apple's website at 1.1Mbps), internet stops working on leopard. It still says I'm connected in the Network System Preferences so thats weird. I even tried with assigning a fix network IP, but the problem still occurs.

Even when I stream videos, I get the same problem. I have to reboot to get it working again.

Everything goes fine on my laptop though (had to use it to actually download the mac update) so I know it's not the websites servers.

When I can't access internet, I can't even access my router either from my hackintosh... so I guess it has something to do with the driver because I was using your Tulip driver v1.0.2 with Tiger before and it was working perfectly.

I understand that I might have to change some stuff to the info.plist, but I have no clue on how to IDentify my device ID :(

I went in the System Profiler, but somehow my network card doesn't show up :s

Just use the 1.0.2 driver. Actually its mislabled, its what you get if you compile the 1.2 source code downloaded from sourceforge with xcode tools.

The 1.2 driver is the same driver with info.plist edited to add more device ids said to work with tulip in Linux. Because adding device ids seems to be beyond some.

So if "1.0.2" works, just use that. I'm using it in 10.5.1 with no issues.

And I'm glad to know your 5.1 card works. I had a 5.0 card that didn't work for me -- but maybe what I'm remembering is it worked in OS/X but not OS/2. Anyway my 4.1 card works fine.

Just use the 1.0.2 driver. Actually its mislabled, its what you get if you compile the 1.2 source code downloaded from sourceforge with xcode tools.

The 1.2 driver is the same driver with info.plist edited to add more device ids said to work with tulip in Linux. Because adding device ids seems to be beyond some.

So if "1.0.2" works, just use that. I'm using it in 10.5.1 with no issues.

And I'm glad to know your 5.1 card works. I had a 5.0 card that didn't work for me -- but maybe what I'm remembering is it worked in OS/X but not OS/2. Anyway my 4.1 card works fine.

Yep, you were right!

Using the 1.0.2 version got rid of my problem :D

Thanks a lot :(

Yep, you were right!

Using the 1.0.2 version got rid of my problem :)

Thanks a lot ;)

EDIT:

I actually get the same problem as the 1.2 driver ><

Internet works only for like 10 minutes then stops working so I have no clue why it does that. I never had this problem in Tiger though.

This only happens on Leopard :(

And the same thing happens with my wireless card >< what the hell :wacko: ?

I guess it must have something to do with my Leopard install :(

EDIT:

I actually get the same problem as the 1.2 driver ><

Internet works only for like 10 minutes then stops working so I have no clue why it does that. I never had this problem in Tiger though.

This only happens on Leopard :(

And the same thing happens with my wireless card >< what the hell :wacko: ?

I guess it must have something to do with my Leopard install :(

Now that is a strange problem. Doesn't happen to me.

Could it be your router or ISP maybe?

Now that is a strange problem. Doesn't happen to me.

Could it be your router or ISP maybe?

Nope because I got my laptop hooked up to my router as well and internet on it works fine while internet doesn't work on my PC ><

So that excludes the ips or router problem. I'll try to find what is wrong with my leopard but I think someone else has this problem and he has the same type of motherboard as me (nForce 680i).

• 1 month later...

thanks for this guide, I just got a linksys LNE100TX v5.1 card working intermittently on 10.5.0 Leopard. I am having some problems with it though. I find that sometimes after booting the computer that internet isn't working. If I go into the terminal I can do a kextunload tulip.kext and then do a kextload tulip.kext and that seems to sometimes refresh it and internet starts working again. Also if I leave a constant ping running I see very high spikes of lag just to my router (192.168.1.1) and also large blocks of timeouts with no replys at all. This seems intermittent as it comes and goes on it's own. Also when this happens it seems to lock up or freeze or crash or otherwise make finder and everything else hang or run very slow. Any suggestions? Thinking I might have to hunt down a different network card :)

• 2 weeks later...

i am going to get a LNE100TX since nforce forcedeth is starting to annoying me.

any tips on getting this driver to work on 10.5.1?

or is it just the usual... copy kext, chmod, chown, delete caches, and repair permissions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I gave this tulip 1.2 kext a go with my Linksys LNE100TX v4.1 installed and before i could even reboot, up popped a window for the ethernet :) i did the whole chmod/chown/clear cache/repairpermssions anyway, upon reboot it's workin like a beaut! tested downloading a 500mb file 1.7mb/sec and surfing with two tabs open trying to lock it, and it seems to be pretty d*mn stabile so far

working solid

It's been a long time, but I think that tulip.kext is for 10.4.8.

I can't seem to compile any of the tulip src on Leopard -- "unrecognized command line option "-arch i386" -- anyone with similar problems?

You have to compile it as a Tiger kext.

It does compile as a Tiger kext using Leopards xcode tools -- I have recompiled it to be sure.

And the Tiger kext works in Leopard.

Someone with more ability than me would have to rewrite the code to make it into a Leopard kext.

Okay, I think my problem is the same, when I compile it, I try to load the kext. I get an error message that says "/System/Library/Extensions/Tulip.kext does not contain code for this architecture" If this is the same problem as above, how do I compile it as a Tiger Kext?

I've been at it for the past two or three hours, but I simply cannot get tulip.kext loaded. Every time I move it to the extensions folder or just try to load the kext, I get the "Please restart your computer..." gray-out message.I have the LNE100TX card.Any suggestions would be awesome. Thank you so much!

Edit

It looks like it fails only when the actual ethernet cable is unplugged (literally). If that helps at all...

The message that comes up in the log just before it crashes (and right after I plug the cable in) is this:

MI PhyStatus: 7809 link up 20

• 1 month later...
Awesome! I am new to Mac - I just started using the OS two weeks ago. Thanks for the driver! This is a gift from God to me! I have been trying for over a week to find a card that will work on 10.4.8. I have tried the Intel PRO100, the Intel PRO100S, the Realtek 8139 .. all because my computer came with the NForce 4 chipset. (My brother and I fix computers so our basement is a computer boneyard.) I tried to use forcedeth but I never could get it work. Here is how I got the driver working on 10.4.8.

1. Open terminal (for n00bs --> go to Spotlight / Finder and type in "Terminal")

2. Extract the contents to the Desktop

3. Type in "tail -f /var/log/system.log" (This will help you with debugging)

4. Open a new shell in terminal. (File --> New Shell)

5. In new window type this in terminal "cd ~/Desktop/"

6. Now type: "sudo chown -R root:wheel tulip.kext"

7. Type: "sudo chmod -R 755 tulip.kext"

8. Type: "sudo kextload -v tulip.kext"

Now your kext file (low level driver) should be loaded. If it is, you will see this to be so on your debugging screen.

9. Test out your driver. Leave your terminal window open. Try loading Safari (yuck! after you're done getting this driver installed, do yourself a favor and go download FireFox as soon as possible). If websites load on Safari you're in business.

If they don't load immediately, you may need to click on the System Preferences (light switch on the Dock). You can go to the Network and try browsing for DHCP and see what happens.

If things seem to be working, go back to your terminal window.

Type this:

10. "sudo cp -R tulip.kext /System/Library/Extensions"

11. Reboot

Driver loaded. Congrats.

This was the most informative and sensable post I have read. I learned where the main log file was, how to just try the kext to see if it worked first and then how to impliment the changes.

It worked for me on 10.5.2 with the already compiled kext and the above instructions

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, this worked for me!

JaS 10.4.8, Linksys LNE100TX... used the Tulip.1.2.zip file.

After installing and restarting the computer, I plugged in the Ethernet cable and fired up Network Preferences. Can't remember if I had to add a new connection first or if it just detected a new one.

AWESOME!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i actually followed "WMARSH's" instructions to the "t" and it wouldnt work, i got "no such file or directory" errors, although i found a different way to install a .kext on a different site. here is exactly how i installed it:

1.extract the zip to your desktop (not into a folder, literally to your desktop) this means there should be a file on your desktop called tulip.kext

2. open Terminal, (/applications/utilities/terminal.app)

3. type sudo -s in terminal then your admin password following this, now you should be root.

4. type sudo mv /users/(krisroberts)/desktop/tulip.kext /system/library/extensions

at this point the file tulip.kext should have dissapeared from the desktop,

5. type sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext

6. type sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/tulip.kext

7. now,type exit then CLOSE TERMINAL

8. reboot and hope it works for you if you had a problem installing with a different way.

edit: i am using a $16 NetworkEverywhere NC100U-WM Network card.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

tulip.kext.snowleo.zip Tnx !!!

It works on Leopard (iatkos v7).

It's compatible with SnowLeopard (iatkos s3 v2)(32bit-driver) but needs re-compiled with xcode.

My onboard card spec:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: 3Com Corporation 3CSOHO100B-TX 910-A01 [tulip] [10b7:9300] (rev 31)

ill upload my compiled tulip.kext

attach_add.png