1.2 Tulip Ethernet Driver for 10.4.3 and up

wmarsh

72 posts in this topic

The current version is compiled and posted at the top of this thread.

I compiled it under 10.4.3. Xcode hasn't changed and it still works in 10.4.5.

Actually, this is 1.2; I typed it wrong at the top.

It compiles with XCode Tools (on the install DVD). I never got MAKE to work either.

The tulip driver doesn't need the softlink in 10.4.4 or 10.4.5.

I don't know why it was needed in 10.4.3; some bug that got fixed probably. Anyway the soft link fixed it for me.

Could you change the topic and the file name if it's 1.2? That way one could search the forums for tulip 1.2?

Also, what's the procedure that you used with XCode to produce the kext (I haven't used XCode before, and opening the sources with it didn't indicate anything.

Could you change the topic and the file name if it's 1.2? That way one could search the forums for tulip 1.2?

Also, what's the procedure that you used with XCode to produce the kext (I haven't used XCode before, and opening the sources with it didn't indicate anything.

I'd love to change the name of the topic, but I don't know how. Maybe the moderators can?

Compiling with XCode was really easy actually.

1) Install the XCode tools from the install DVD. I did this in 10.4.3 but its probably the same now. You boot your working OSX system, insert the disk, and click on the icon. If you have an install disk from which someone deleted XCode tools so it would fit on a single layer DVD, then you are out of luck.

2) Download the sourcecode from Sourceforge. Here is the link

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=51598

Extract it.

3) The rest is from memory, as I don't have XCode currently on my system (low on space). I had never used it before either; my background is Linux and I was just trying things after MAKE didn't work for me. But my recollection is you double click on the source code and XCode starts automatically. I don't remember all the steps, but the interface was intuitive to make it compile. Once compiled, it adds a directory in the project where the compiled kext lives. Finding it was not intuitive, but if you click around you will find it.

HELP! SOS!

I copy the tulip.kext file into /System/Library/Extensions and I get no result. I'm running 10.4.4 (HotISO) and I've tried it with and without the softlink. I have a Linksys card in and I disabled my built in ethernet (Broadcom 5702) because I couldn't patch it to work either.

If aNyOne could help me get either my Linksys LNE or Broadcom chip working, I'd be so happy. I've attempted to do this so many times now, I just don't know what to do.

Thanks soooo much anyone who can help.

Ok, we need more information here.

In Finder, click on the apple then About this Mac.

click on more information.

scroll down to the bottom and see if tulip.kext is loaded and if not, what is the problem.

If the kext loads but your internet doesn't work, use System Preferences, Network, to set up your network.

There are several varieties of Linksys LNE 100 with different chipsets. It is possible yours is not supported. Under OS/2 I couldn't get LNE 100 v4 to work, but swapped it with an LNE 100 v5 from another machine that did work. This is the version I have tested with this driver in OS X. (Edit: found a way to identify NIC withou opening box.)

• 2 months later...

Right you guys must be getting REALLY annoyed by the n00b questions and I am one and I cant get it to work.

Could someone please write a very simple step by step guide in installing a tulip driver for 10.4.3 please and post it. Thanks ut I think it may stop all the confusion.

Thanx

• 2 months later...

I just got my ethernet card to work.

I am using a Network Everywhere card bought from Wal-Mart for 15 bucks. The trick to getting tulip to work (I'm running 10.4.6, btw) is copying the kext file using Terminal. If you just drag the file to your Extensions folder, the permissions won't be set properly and when you reboot, you'll just get an error about the tulip.kext file.

You MUST copy the file using the Terminal with the command:

cp -R tulip.kext /System/Library/Extensions

Hope this helps!

-T

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

ive been looking all over the forums and running back and forth from computer to computer yet i cant get this driver to work. i have a Linksys 100tx v4 card and im running 10.4.6 but no matter what i do it wont recognise the ethernet port. ive tried replacing the driver and running the sudo bash as well as using the 10.4.7 IONetworkingFamily kext. anyone know whats wrong?

ive been looking all over the forums and running back and forth from computer to computer yet i cant get this driver to work. i have a Linksys 100tx v4 card and im running 10.4.6 but no matter what i do it wont recognise the ethernet port. ive tried replacing the driver and running the sudo bash as well as using the 10.4.7 IONetworkingFamily kext. anyone know whats wrong?

LOL N00B!

Awesome! I am new to Mac - I just started using the OS two weeks ago. Thanks for the driver! This is a gift from God to me! I have been trying for over a week to find a card that will work on 10.4.8. I have tried the Intel PRO100, the Intel PRO100S, the Realtek 8139 .. all because my computer came with the NForce 4 chipset. (My brother and I fix computers so our basement is a computer boneyard.) I tried to use forcedeth but I never could get it work. Here is how I got the driver working on 10.4.8.

1. Open terminal (for n00bs --> go to Spotlight / Finder and type in "Terminal")

2. Extract the contents to the Desktop

3. Type in "tail -f /var/log/system.log" (This will help you with debugging)

4. Open a new shell in terminal. (File --> New Shell)

5. In new window type this in terminal "cd ~/Desktop/"

6. Now type: "sudo chown -R root:wheel tulip.kext"

7. Type: "sudo chmod -R 755 tulip.kext"

8. Type: "sudo kextload -v tulip.kext"

Now your kext file (low level driver) should be loaded. If it is, you will see this to be so on your debugging screen.

9. Test out your driver. Leave your terminal window open. Try loading Safari (yuck! after you're done getting this driver installed, do yourself a favor and go download FireFox as soon as possible). If websites load on Safari you're in business.

If they don't load immediately, you may need to click on the System Preferences (light switch on the Dock). You can go to the Network and try browsing for DHCP and see what happens.

If things seem to be working, go back to your terminal window.

Type this:

10. "sudo cp -R tulip.kext /System/Library/Extensions"

11. Reboot

Driver loaded. Congrats.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:jester:

Awesome! I am new to Mac - I just started using the OS two weeks ago. Thanks for the driver! This is a gift from God to me! I have been trying for over a week to find a card that will work on 10.4.8. I have tried the Intel PRO100, the Intel PRO100S, the Realtek 8139 .. all because my computer came with the NForce 4 chipset. (My brother and I fix computers so our basement is a computer boneyard.) I tried to use forcedeth but I never could get it work. Here is how I got the driver working on 10.4.8.

1. Open terminal (for n00bs --> go to Spotlight / Finder and type in "Terminal")

Now your kext file (low level driver) should be loaded. If it is, you will see this to be so on your debugging screen.

9. Test out your driver. Leave your terminal window open. Try loading Safari (yuck! after you're done getting this driver installed, do yourself a favor and go download FireFox as soon as possible). If websites load on Safari you're in business.

If they don't load immediately, you may need to click on the System Preferences (light switch on the Dock). You can go to the Network and try browsing for DHCP and see what happens.

Type this:

11. Reboot

Driver loaded. Congrats

Thanks.....This works great for my card

Instead of typing "sudo" before each comand lline, I simply typed "sudo -s" in the begining and entered password so there is no need to type it over and over (i did so because the commands wouldn't work if i typed sudo).

But the great news is I am up and runnin :thumbsup_anim: ....Thanks a Mil....Ia m using 10.4.9...now on to dual display....Not bad for a " NOOB" :rolleyes::tomato:

• 1 month later...
:angel:

Thanks.....This works great for my card

<snip>

worked for me too. I stupidly forgot to reset the owner when I first did this duhhhh! now to stress test it as the 8169 driver would panic but I hunted this card down in an old PC.

so I got sound

got the 7900GT (dvi to vga adapter tested, haven't tried the dvi to lcd's yet)

and now I got networking, what else can we get ;-)

abit IG-80

10.4.8 (8.1.1 or is it 8.8.1 kernel) jes sse2/sse3 dvd titan video and now the tulip driver (don't forget the ln part of the process as I think it's needed)

• 2 months later...

Type this:

11. Reboot

Driver loaded. Congrats.

I just got my ethernet card to work!!! I have an SMC 1244TX v2 (ADMTek AN983b chipset). I supose i was doing something wrong until now.

I compiled the source code from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/darwin-...tar.gz?download with XCODE tools 2.4.1 in a 10.4.9 system.

Found tulip.kext in /Desktop/darwin_tulip/src/build/Debug and follwed the above instructions.

I'm new to Mac OS X but my guess is that it's better to use XCODE Tools instead of using the "make install" command from the terminal. At least that's what worked for me...

Thanks...

• 2 months later...

;):blink:

WOO HOO! I GOT IT WORKING! THANKS A TON SVT_MAN!

I am an OSX n00b too BTW :P

Specs

OSX 10.4.10

HP DC7100s (P4 3GHz, 1GB, 80GB SATA)

sound/video worked out of the box

broadcom 57xx NIC did not work after 4 days of trying everything i could possibly find in this forum.

swapped in a PCI Linksys 100TX card and used your instructions along with the tulip.kext in this post.

Only issue was the "didn't load the driver correctly" window message when I rebooted. I fixed the permissions and its working perfectly now!

I got FireFox and Adium up and running and am a happy camper.

Type this:

11. Reboot

Driver loaded. Congrats.

• 3 weeks later...
FYI: This works in LEO too. DHCP doesn't work, but configure it manually and it works.
Still works for me in leopard 10.5.1 too. But DHCP -- yes in some builds I set IP address manually -- DHCP does work for me in 10.5.1 and 10.4.10.
Anyone have the card Linksys LNE100TX working on Leopard yet?I've been trying but the tulip.kext just loads and the card still doesn't show up.Thanks
You might have to edit info.plist if you have a different device ID.It also may matter which Linksys LNE100TX you have as they use different chips.Mine is v4.1. Had a v5 that did not work either -- put it in the kids computer and took theirs.Easiest way to find out is see what driver loads in Linux. If you use tulip driver, then this should work.
Sorry not to pay attention -- I just got back to physical install after being stuck in VMware for a year after upgrading my computer.Anyway, driver works for me in 10.4.10 and 10.5.1 with Linksys100tx v4.1Check your device ID. You might have to edit info.plist to make it work if its different from mine.