Newbie: Couple questions

25 posts in this topic

I think that you should install new version of OS X Tiger (10.4.8) on your computer because it has a new Core 2 Duo processor. I found this on the OSx86 10.4.8 hardware compatibility list:

Satellite A100-969

-OS-Version: Mac OS X 10.4.8 working fine: - Chipset driver - USB driver

after driver update: - Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 with Titan driver - Intel Pro 100 VE

* all drivers from osx86project.org

* Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG does not work, there is no working driver provided at the time.

* this machine runs like a breath of fresh air compared to that other OS :)

That is as close as I could get to your laptop model. I think its close enough to say that you're laptop should work with 10.4.8 except in the above model, the wireless doesn't seem to work.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more questions just before I leave:

1. I noticed there're two types of OS out there- PowerPC and AMD/Intel. From what I know, I will have to install a PowerPC version of OSX correct? Will installing the Intel version work on a laptop?

2. I have the OS X 10.4.6 PPC disc. and I would like to upgrade it to 10.4.8. Will the Mac OS X 10.4.8 Update (PPC) from Apple.com work? Or do I have to get a 'hacked' version of the update from somewhere?

Nope, you have to use the Intel version. Heres the explanation behind this:

PowerPC is a processor family developed by IBM. You may be familiar with the G3, G4, G5, etc. processors that were used up until recently by Apple. PowerPC processors are in no way compatible natively with the architecture of normal PCs (x86 AMD/Intel processors). Then, Apple made the move to Intel processors, forcing them to rewrite Mac OS X to be compatible with the x86 Intel AMD architecture. The x86 Intel AMD rewrite of OS X WAS compatible with normal PCs with a bit of tweaking here and there. So, hackers tweaked the x86 Intel AMD rewrite of OS X to be compatible with normal PCs and thats what OSx86 is all about!

So, your OS X 10.4.6 PPC disc will not work with your laptop. It won't even recognize it. From your laptops specifications, I will recommend 2 hacked ISOs to you:

1) Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 with PPF1 + PPF2]

2) Mac OS X 10.4.9 [uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4iR3]

Either one should do the job. One is version 10.4.8 and the other one is 10.4.9, so I think that will meet your needs. And NO, the updates from Apple will not work. Do not attempt to update your OS from Apple or you risk corrupting your installation of Mac OS X. The updates from Apple are not meant to be installed on a Hackint0sh. Yes, you will need a hacked installer. Just poke around the forums if you need one.

Another thing: If you want to update from 10.4.8 or 10.4.9 to 10.4.10, here are 2 "hacked" installer packages you could use:

1) PascalW's Mac OS X 10.4.10 Delta Updater (Also called "10.4.10 update for hackintosh" on download sites)

2) Koolkal 10.4.10 Intel Combo SSE2 & SSE3 V2

Hope this helps ;)

If you need any more info, feel free to post back.

For you, intel pro wireless 3945, the driver is out and in testing... drop by the hardware => drivers section and find it..

Cool, I've been paying a lot of attention to that thread. But is it a working driver? By looking at the replies, it doesn't seem to be working yet.

I am still on Windows atm since the new intel wireless driver is not complete yet. I am planning on erasing my c drive (where windows is installed right now) and install mac os x on it (Extended Jornaled). On the other hand, I have all the files and data on my other partition (call it volume), in NTFS format. I am not going to erase my other partition since all my files are there.

So my question is, on my newly installed mac osx system, will I be able to access the files in the NTFS volume? Or do I have to erase that other partition as well during the installation?

Mac OS X cannot natively access NTFS partitions. You may want to format the Documents partition as FAT32 so that Mac OS X can read the data on the partition and write to it without any additional tweaks or software ;)

Oh and you don't have to destroy Windows to install OS X unless you want to. You could dual boot between OS X and Windows. If you're interested, tell e and I'll try to find you some stuff to help you.

I want to install iLife08 on the new os x. But, as you know, the program requires 10.4.9 or higher. I downloaded PascalW's Mac OS X 10.4.10 Delta Updater. Does the updater upgrade my os x right to 10.4.10? or do I have to upgrade my 10.4.8 os to 10.4.9 then finally to 10.4.10?

One more question about the upgrade package: do I have to update the kernel to 8.10.1 (the one that comes with the package) as well?

hey whats up?well im also a noob....and im also trying to run mac os on my pc...(i hate windows and all the microsoft carp)..but im just not sure on what do i have to do...i got here because a video i saw on youtube, this guy said: what you'll need: intel core 2 duo.... i thought i had no chance but then i just looked around on some forums and stuff..and i also read that its possible to run it using AMD...well here i post my pc specs, so u can tell me if i can do it or not.- motherboard: asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA- processor: AMD Athlon x2 Dual core 5200+- RAM: 1 GB 667mhzi think i can install it on my pc but im not sure, plz help me..if i can do it can u plz tell me how to...i dont wanna run it over windows (using vmware software) or emule it, i wanna install it natively...and it will also be great if its possible to install it in another partition, cuz theress some things i wanna keep from the windows, like all the games compativility and that stuff....something else, if i install it natively, and then i buy a graphic card, will i have to download a patch or something....or are all the pci-express graphic cards compatible with mac os Xsorry i forgot to enable the e-mail notification...

I want to install iLife08 on the new os x. But, as you know, the program requires 10.4.9 or higher. I downloaded PascalW's Mac OS X 10.4.10 Delta Updater. Does the updater upgrade my os x right to 10.4.10? or do I have to upgrade my 10.4.8 os to 10.4.9 then finally to 10.4.10?One more question about the upgrade package: do I have to update the kernel to 8.10.1 (the one that comes with the package) as well?
The Delta updater updates 10.4.9 to 10.4.10. If you want to update from 10.4.8 to 10.4.10, then use the koolkal 10.4.10 intel sse2 & sse3 V2 Updater. As for the kernel, if your processor only supports SSE2, then you have to use the 8.9.1 kernel and if your processor supports SSE3, you can use the 8.10.1 kernel. You can select which kernel you want to install at the install options screen. The 8.10.1 kernel is checked by default so if your processor only supports SSE2, then make sure to UNCHECK the 8.10.1 kernel first and check the 8.9.1 kernel.Hope this helps
hey whats up?well im also a noob....and im also trying to run mac os on my pc...(i hate windows and all the microsoft carp)..but im just not sure on what do i have to do...i got here because a video i saw on youtube, this guy said: what you'll need: intel core 2 duo.... i thought i had no chance but then i just looked around on some forums and stuff..and i also read that its possible to run it using AMD...well here i post my pc specs, so u can tell me if i can do it or not.- motherboard: asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA- processor: AMD Athlon x2 Dual core 5200+- RAM: 1 GB 667mhzi think i can install it on my pc but im not sure, plz help me..if i can do it can u plz tell me how to...i dont wanna run it over windows (using vmware software) or emule it, i wanna install it natively...and it will also be great if its possible to install it in another partition, cuz theress some things i wanna keep from the windows, like all the games compativility and that stuff....something else, if i install it natively, and then i buy a graphic card, will i have to download a patch or something....or are all the pci-express graphic cards compatible with mac os Xsorry i forgot to enable the e-mail notification...
Wow...you really need to learn to post in a forum :( I'll answer all your questions one by one. First of all, you can install OS X on any computer with a processor that supports SSE2 and/or SSE3 instruction sets. You can check this by downloading the free Windows Utility CPU-Z. And yes, you can install it on your PC although you can never be sure with OS X that it will work completely fine with your hardware. Yes, you can install it on a seperate partition or on an external USB/FireWire hard drive. Nearly all PCI-Express cards are compatible with OS X. A few are incompatile, namely the GeForce 8800 series and 7950Gx2. Incomplete list of incompatible hardware: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...atible_hardwareWhen you are installing OS X, you can simply choose the correct patch for your card. Any more questions :) ?

sorry

i was writing this thing but when i post it it just got in one piece i dont know where the spaces i let in between gone

so ok, right now im downloading the Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2] u said before.

and yes i have some more questions

1) at first it was downloading at 120 kbps but now is really slow, do you know where i can find it with good seeds?

2) hows the patching thing?? i dont know if the iso im downloading comes with the patch to install it with an AMD cpu or i have to download it from somewhere else

3) another thing, im downloading a 4.5 GB iso, and im not sure if it is suposed to be that big

thanks

The Delta updater updates 10.4.9 to 10.4.10. If you want to update from 10.4.8 to 10.4.10, then use the koolkal 10.4.10 intel sse2 & sse3 V2 Updater. As for the kernel, if your processor only supports SSE2, then you have to use the 8.9.1 kernel and if your processor supports SSE3, you can use the 8.10.1 kernel. You can select which kernel you want to install at the install options screen. The 8.10.1 kernel is checked by default so if your processor only supports SSE2, then make sure to UNCHECK the 8.10.1 kernel first and check the 8.9.1 kernel.Hope this helps

Cool, thanks. Well looks like someone just invaded my topic :angel:

Do I have to reinstall all the kexts and drivers again after the upgrade? (like the Intel Pro 100 VE driver)

Hi, I got a couple of questions.... Does Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2] that I'm downloading have any display problem using a MSI GeForce 8600 GT?, and I also want to know if there's any way to use a Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer under Mac OS X 10.4.8, because I've read in some websites that this model of sound card doesn't work at all... :wacko:

Greetings....

For the display, the Twintech GeForce 8600GT is unsupported. I don't know about MSI, but its the same chipset in both cards so theres a good chance that the MSI card won't work. Now more bad news :wacko:, Creative cards (including Sound Blaster Audigy) are either not supported or not recognized by OS X. While there are some older Creative cards that work, the newer Sound Blaster cards are likely not to work. You can try to get audio with Mac OS Xs built-in driver but its highly unlikely that you are going to get the card to work.

pcwiz

well now after reading a lot about this hackingtosh thing, i've got the answers for all the questions i asked before.

now that i've downloaded the iso, im trying to install it, i've been following the dilnalomo's guide, but i cant do it.

after my pc boots, it hangs and i get an error ill post the image here so you can see the black screen i get.

0000022th0.jpg

after that, nothing happens and all i can do is reset my computer.

greetings

- thanks pcwiz, well i already did it but noone has replied....

- blacknight, thanks a lot, but i wanna know someting, if i type cpus=1 before the installation it will only enable one of the cores of my cpu duryng the installation right?.....so after it....will the OS X use all my cpu, isnt it??