Official Dell Inspiron 1501 Guide

aross6

227 posts in this topic

After much time and energy spent, the Dell Inspiron 1501 can finally boot natively even though the HDD (hard drive disk) is SATA. Here is the guide... post any questions or additions you may have:

First of all, I installed my OSx86 system using Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3u. If you don't know where to get it at, you need to read this thread first!

Steps:

1) Create 2 partitions, 1 for WinXP (5Gb minimum, FAT32 format) and 1 for Mac OSX

2) Install WinXP

3) Install VMWare Workstation 6.0.0

4) Open VMWare: Create a New Virtual Machine named "Mac OSX" and do the rest.

5) Now edit the Virtual Machine, deleting the hard disk and adding a new one using the "ENTIRE HARDDISK" option

6) Put your Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3u disc in the DVD-ROM and RUN your virtual Machine

7) When the first screen displays "VMWare... etc., etc., etc." hit the ESC key to bring up the Boot Manager and select CD-ROM

8) Installation now starts!!

9) Run Disk Utility and ERASE your Mac OSX partition; once you exit Disk Utility, that partition will be available to install your OS on.

10) Now it's time to specify what packages to install... this is the important part! Select: 10.4.9 AMD, Universal Kernel-3, IOATAFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlatform, VIA SATA/ATA, ATI ATA, and finally any 3rd party software you want. Then click Install!

11) When the installation finishes it will reboot the system.

12) GREAT... now you have Mac OSX installed, but it will only work in VMWare (hence the job is not yet finished)

13) Download Emzo's made-for-Inspiron-1501 IOATAFamily.kext, extract, & copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

14) Delete AppleVIAATA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/

15) Edit the boot.plist file to add the -f string

16) Open Disk Utility and Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac OSX partition

17) Shutdown WinXP and boot Mac OSX natively!!!

18) The SONY CRX880A ATA CD-RW/DVD-Rom and Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card work out-of-box so nothing needs done to get these to work.

19) OSX doesn't initially offer Widescreen Resolutions for ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 so you need to download and install (guide is included, follow the walkthrough exactly) Callisto Build 003(fixed), May 27 2006 (Build 008, June 13 2006 will not work so don't even try!)

20) Sound doesn't work initially either (Sigmatel 9200 Hi-Def) so you need to download AppleHDA Patcher and use this Sigmatel9200.txt codec dump file (save it to your desktop and then drag it onto the AppleHDA Patcher Icon)

21) Reboot, set your display resolution to the correct settings (I used 1280x800) in System Preferences, and your Mac OSX system is good to go!

Special Thanks to Tuxer & Emzo for the kext which makes this all possible and Norbi for the Acer 5051 install guide which this guide has been based upon!

Here is the guide to update to 10.4.10 on our systems:

Steps:

1) Download the 10.4.10 Pascalw Auto Installer Update as described here

2) Extract and install the package named MacOSXUpd10.4.10AMD.mpkg

3) You will be forced to reboot your system but your Mac OSX install will be broken

4) Shut off your system and boot to WinXP

5) Open VMWare, put your Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3u disc in the DVD-ROM and RUN your virtual Machine (named "Mac OSX")

6) When the first screen displays "VMWare... etc., etc., etc." hit the ESC key to bring up the Boot Manager and select CD-ROM

7) Installation now starts (although we won't be re-installing Mac OSX this time)

8) Select your Mac OSX partition as the install destination and click next

9) Here is the important part: select AppleACPIPlatform.kext ONLY (absolutely nothing else) and click upgrade

10) The kext will install and you will be asked to reboot your system

11) Take the Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3u disc out of the DVD-ROM and reboot your Mac OSX system in VMWare (it will not yet boot natively so don't even try)

12) Once the system boots open Disk Utility and Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac OSX partition

13) Shutdown Mac OSX, exit VMWare, shutdown WinXP, and boot Mac OSX 10.4.10 natively!!!

14) The SONY CRX880A ATA CD-RW/DVD-Rom and Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card still work out-of-box so nothing extra needs done to get these to work.

15) OSX still displays Widescreen Resolutions via Callisto Build 003(fixed) so nothing extra needs done to get this to work.

16) Sound (Sigmatel 9200 Hi-Def) won't be working again but you can simply use AppleHDA Patcher and Sigmatel9200.txt codec dump file again the same as before

17) Reboot, sound is now working and your Mac OSX 10.4.10 system is good to go!*

Special Thanks to lowercase & jacksont123 for working through the process to make the update work on our system and (as always) Pascalw for offering the update itself!

*As jacksont123 said:

The only major improvement pertaining to the 1501 is the fixed battery meter

My experience personally was that once I rebooted to my working Mac OSX 10.4.10 system, the battery meter was missing from the menubar altogether and the extra power options were missing from Energy Saver as well. I did the following to get it working again:

Steps:

1) Download keithpk's PowerManagement.tar.gz

2) Un-archive the file, leaving you with a PowerManagement.bundle

3) Navigate to: /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

4) Delete the existing PowerManagement.bundle

5) Copy (drag-n-drop) the new bundle into the SystemConfiguration folder

6) Open Disk Utility and Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac OSX partition

7) Reboot and battery meter should be in the menubar (and extra power options should be in Energy Saver) and working properly as they should (note that battery meter never work properly using 10.4.9, but now it will!)

8) Mac OSX 10.4.10 system should be working great for you now!

Special Thanks to keithpk for offering the PowerManagement.tar.gz file which fixes this problem!

Last updated: 08.27.2007

wireless should work out of box, so i've read...

i couldn't get vmware to work properly, it's quite abnormal actually...

what i mean is that in vmware I can install osx86 properly, but for some reason it doesn't write any of the files to the harddrive, when i reboot after installation in vmware i get an error saying that com.apple.boot.plist is missing, and this is most likely because there were no files written although the installation had finished without any errors... what's going on?

is there any alternative to installing osx86 other than vmware?

I was able to get OSX86 on my laptop hard drive partition without using VMWare!

I did this by creating a partition on my external hard drive with Acronis Disk Director. I installed uphuck on the partition and applied all the required patches (ezmo's hdd, sound, video). I booted in Windows and resized my laptop's hard drive and copied the partition from the external hdd to the unallocated space. It works great and I'm sending this message through OSX86! :D

Works great on mine. Everything runs extremely well. I just wish we could get QE/CI working because then this laptop would be working 100%, but for my needs (audio apps) it works f'n better than windows. :) . Oh, and have you gotten sleep to work?

I upgraded from 10.4.9 (Uphuck 1.4a) to 10.4.10 with the Pascalw auto installation. Make sure you back up your extensions and also /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app. After I installed I couldn't boot. I replaced the old terminal.app over the new one (I don't think this is necessary...) and still couldn't boot. I just booted up to the install DVD Uphuck and ONLY installed the ACPI (Powermanagement in uphuck 1.4a) and that solved the problem, (I don't know what the related kexts are, you could probably just copy those over from the back up before rebooting. And remember to Repair permissions in diskutil. My battery meter works perfectly now in 10.4.10, didn't work in 10.4.9 in my case.

iWork can be run without QE/CI, just search it up in the forums.

Works great on mine. Everything runs extremely well. I just wish we could get QE/CI working because then this laptop would be working 100%, but for my needs (audio apps) it works f'n better than windows. :angel: . Oh, and have you gotten sleep to work?

No, I haven't gotten sleep to work. It doesn't turn on after it sleeps so I just disabled it. I can't get QE/CI working either. Is your battery meter working?

I upgraded from 10.4.9 (Uphuck 1.4a) to 10.4.10 with the Pascalw auto installation. Make sure you back up your extensions and also /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app. After I installed I couldn't boot. I replaced the old terminal.app over the new one (I don't think this is necessary...) and still couldn't boot. I just booted up to the install DVD Uphuck and ONLY installed the ACPI (Powermanagement in uphuck 1.4a) and that solved the problem, (I don't know what the related kexts are, you could probably just copy those over from the back up before rebooting. And remember to Repair permissions in diskutil. My battery meter works perfectly now in 10.4.10, didn't work in 10.4.9 in my case.

iWork can be run without QE/CI, just search it up in the forums.

Thanks for the tip! :angel:

Sorry all, I was out of town for a few days looking for a new house... now, let's see:

What software did you use to create the partitions?
When installing XP, I simply created 2 partitions using the Windows XP Install Disc; I created one 5GB partition (FAT 32 format) and another partition (which I left unformated - i.e. Raw). I then installed XP on the 5GB partition
aross6 - can you get wireless to work?
For me wireless worked out-of-box... what WLAN card do you have (mine is a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card)???
the guide worked wonders for me, except the installing to the hard drive part, so i installed it on an external hddaross, could you please show us a guide on how you installed it through vmware?
I used this video as a general guide to installing through VMWare: http://blog.adonias.cl/leer.php?id=78&Lang=EN
I just want to say THANK YOU!! This worked excellent.. I have an Inspiron 1501 and used it with Jas 10.4.8 amd/intel install disk and it worked great. Sound, network and video. Thank you aross6, you rock!!
You're welcome... always glad to help out!!! Be sure to thank Tuxer and Emzo as well... they are the ones who put the real work in on this project!!!
Are any of you able to get front row, QE, or CI working?
As far as I know, QE/CI won't work for us yet... if I find out anything different, I'll be sure to post it!
Works great on mine. Everything runs extremely well. I just wish we could get QE/CI working because then this laptop would be working 100%, but for my needs (audio apps) it works f'n better than windows. ;) . Oh, and have you gotten sleep to work?
Sleep won't work at all! Be sure to disable it.
I upgraded from 10.4.9 (Uphuck 1.4a) to 10.4.10 with the Pascalw auto installation. Make sure you back up your extensions and also /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app. After I installed I couldn't boot. I replaced the old terminal.app over the new one (I don't think this is necessary...) and still couldn't boot. I just booted up to the install DVD Uphuck and ONLY installed the ACPI (Powermanagement in uphuck 1.4a) and that solved the problem, (I don't know what the related kexts are, you could probably just copy those over from the back up before rebooting. And remember to Repair permissions in diskutil. My battery meter works perfectly now in 10.4.10, didn't work in 10.4.9 in my case.iWork can be run without QE/CI, just search it up in the forums.
So you updated from 10.4.9 (Uphuck 1.4a) to 10.4.10 using Pascalw 10.4.10 auto installation update, restarted the OS and it wouldn't boot anymore, so then you re-inserted the 10.4.9 (Uphuck 1.4a) disc and installed the Powermanagementbundle.kext ONLY (i.e. - nothing else at ALL) and 10.4.10 booted fine?? Is that what you're saying??

Also, just to verify, you used the 10.4.10 update installer described on this page: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=55526 and installed mach_amd - 8.10.1 xnu kernel (amd/intel/sse3/noNX/hpet/autofsb),

mach_intel - 8.10.1 xnu kernel (intel/sse3/noNX/hpet/autofsb), and dsmos.kext - binary decrypter before installing MacOSXUpd10.4.10AMD.mpkg (update package for AMD), correct??

Yes, that is the installer I used and if you reinstall Powermanagement (ACPI) from Uphuck, just make sure you go to custom install and ONLY select that package... no 1.4 or anything else. I didn't bother installing the graphic kexts, but I'm pretty sure that won't affect anything seeing as with the 1150 it doesn't really use them anyway. But if you back up loginwindow.app and all your kexts and still have your windows partition / install disc then everything should be safe. If you have any issues just grab the demo for MacDrive and copy back what you need. If I knew what packages were associated with ACPI, I'm sure if you just copied the 10.4.9 acpi kexts over in OS X right after you installed the update without rebooting and then repaired permissions, it would probably do the trick.

Oh, and if you reinstall the ACPI (if that's all you install, it just "upgrades" the package and won't change anything else) then reboot BACK into the installer, when it boots up go to diskutil and repair the permissions.

(And it was the AMD version)

My wireless also pops up before boot now, in 10.4.9 if I set something like iChat on boot it would pop up with an error because I would have to tell it to connect to airport every time at boot. Not a big deal, but it's nicer. Sleep is even more deadly now though, instead of even going it to sleep the second the computer sleeps it just straight up freezes, leaving the screen on and all.

Yes, that is the installer I used and if you reinstall Powermanagement (ACPI) from Uphuck, just make sure you go to custom install and ONLY select that package... no 1.4 or anything else. I didn't bother installing the graphic kexts, but I'm pretty sure that won't affect anything seeing as with the 1150 it doesn't really use them anyway. But if you back up loginwindow.app and all your kexts and still have your windows partition / install disc then everything should be safe. If you have any issues just grab the demo for MacDrive and copy back what you need. If I knew what packages were associated with ACPI, I'm sure if you just copied the 10.4.9 acpi kexts over in OS X right after you installed the update without rebooting and then repaired permissions, it would probably do the trick.

Oh, and if you reinstall the ACPI (if that's all you install, it just "upgrades" the package and won't change anything else) then reboot BACK into the installer, when it boots up go to diskutil and repair the permissions.

(And it was the AMD version)

My wireless also pops up before boot now, in 10.4.9 if I set something like iChat on boot it would pop up with an error because I would have to tell it to connect to airport every time at boot. Not a big deal, but it's nicer. Sleep is even more deadly now though, instead of even going it to sleep the second the computer sleeps it just straight up freezes, leaving the screen on and all.

Ok, let me ask it this way because maybe we're misunderstanding each other: When you install the 10.4.10 update and restart your OS it won't boot (correct?). So, what exactly do you have to do to make your OS boot after you install the 10.4.10 update???

Something like this???:

1) Install 10.4.10 Pascalw Auto Installer Update from OSX desktop

2) Reboot and OS won't boot properly

3) Insert 10.4.9 disc and boot to disc

4) Install Powermanagement (ACPI) only and restart once finished

5) Boot to 10.4.9 disc once again, open Disk Utility, repair permissions, and restart

6) OS will now boot properly

Is this what the exact steps are???? Is there anything I'm missing???? Did you have to install mach_amd - 8.10.1 xnu kernel (amd/intel/sse3/noNX/hpet/autofsb), mach_intel - 8.10.1 xnu kernel (intel/sse3/noNX/hpet/autofsb), or dsmos.kext - binary decrypter that comes with the 10.4.10 Pascalw Auto Installer Update package first before installing the update itself????

I did the exact same thing as he said except repair permissions, and it wouldn't boot. So I'm going to repair permissions this time and see how it goes.

Let me know how it goes... I would prefer to have confirmation this works before I try to update and break my install.

It works!5zn5p93.pngThe sound wasn't working, but I reinstalled the drivers with the AppleHDA patch and codec dump. The wireless internet isn't working though, it says it's connected to the network but I'm unable to access any webpages...I'm going to copy my external HDD's mac partition onto a partition on my laptop hdd and see how it goes...

It works...

So you just did the following steps and it works????

Anything extra or anything missing here????

1) Install 10.4.10 Pascalw Auto Installer Update from OSX desktop

2) Reboot and OS won't boot properly

3) Insert 10.4.9 disc and boot to disc

4) Install Powermanagement (ACPI) only and restart once finished

5) Boot to 10.4.9 disc once again, open Disk Utility, repair permissions, and restart

6) OS will now boot properly

Yes, I followed those exact steps and osx86 did boot. At first I inserted the CD and booted but it didn't detect the hard drive in my laptop. So, I booted into Windows and use Acronis to copy my mac partition onto my external hdd; I applied the powermanagement kext and fixed disk permissions with the 1.4a uphuck dvd. I booted the mac partition on my hdd and mac loaded successfully. Although, when it booted, there was no sound, and the internet wasn't working. I was able to fix that by using the AppleHDA patcher with codec dump and I enabled Airport by following a tutorial on this site somewhere. Oh, here. There are no graphics improvements with this update though. I moved the partition from my external hdd to my laptops partition. The only major improvement pertaining to the 1501 is the fixed battery meter.

Yes, I followed those exact steps and osx86 did boot... the only major improvement pertaining to the 1501 is the fixed battery meter.

Jacksont123, did you do anything with either mach_amd - 8.10.1 xnu kernel (amd/intel/sse3/noNX/hpet/autofsb), mach_intel - 8.10.1 xnu kernel (intel/sse3/noNX/hpet/autofsb), or dsmos.kext - binary decrypter before installing MacOSXUpd10.4.10AMD.mpkg (update package for AMD)???