Just got my Q6600 in the mail

reghost

39 posts in this topic

Going to pop this puppy into my BadAxe2 tonight. Anyone tryed OC'n this baby yet?

Q6600 + Bad Axe 2= my combo :D

But I have been brainwashed by a friend against overclocking.

you could read this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26508

Even if it is about Core 2 Duo, many principles should be the same.

I assembled my box last night using the q6600 cpu. I don't want to go overboard with overclocking it yet, but so far I've tweaked the fsb speed to 360x9, and adjusted ram timing to 4-4-4-12.

The result -> cpu increased from 2.4ghz to 3.33ghz. The system is running stable with each core around 45deg.

I will let the thermal paste run in for a week before I pump up the fsb and do voltage adjustment. I'm hoping to push it to the 4ghz mark.

I also ran geekbench on it and it's gone from 4500 (no overclock), to 6669 now. You can compare this with the ratings below:

Mac Pro (8-core)

Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons @ 3.00 GHz 8618 Xserve (Late 2006)

Dual Dual-Core Intel Xeons @ 3.00 GHz 5632 Mac Pro

Dual Dual-Core Intel Xeons @ 3.00 GHz 5565 Xserve (Late 2006)

Dual Dual-Core Intel Xeons @ 2.66 GHz 5093 Mac Pro

Dual Dual-Core Intel Xeons @ 2.66 GHz 5014

Oh man it runs awesome!!!!

At the moment im only running os x 10.4.9 on it.

i may just install xp on another drive.

wow 3.33ghz is crazy!!!!!! ;) i know my ram will definetly be a bottleneck. (pc2 5300) Do you guys have any recommendations on a pair of 1 gig sticks that wont tear up my wallet?

post-42027-1187898336_thumb.jpg

You ram will be the bottleneck.

DDR2-1066 ftw.

I am in the same situation. I bought my RAM (quite expensive) last year, for my D945GNT, Pentium D 950 box. Now I didn't want to spend another €500 for 4GB top quality RAM.

I bought these 2 Gig OCZ Reaper 8500 with 1066 mhz for 155 euro plus shipping: http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dllVi...em=320132607499

and gave to my son and

bought these 2 Gig OCZ flex 6400 with 800mhz for 117 euro plus shipping I kept to watercool :

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...em=160125462214

Hey Reghost

I have a similar rig , BADAXE2 with QX6800 Quad Core. Lightning fast. Very stable mobo.

Please share how you overclocked the Mobo ?

What BIOS settings did you tweak ?

Also have you managed to get your on board mike to work ?

Thanks in advance

Vince

Oh man it runs awesome!!!!

At the moment im only running os x 10.4.9 on it.

i may just install xp on another drive.

wow 3.33ghz is crazy!!!!!! :D i know my ram will definetly be a bottleneck. (pc2 5300) Do you guys have any recommendations on a pair of 1 gig sticks that wont tear up my wallet?

i pretty much duplicated fustyler's setup. Im REALLY pondering going with the crucial sticks alessandro recommended..man they look sweet.

on a side note since i know some one asked about it here, mic in is working for me with tarugas applehda patcher and the 1.15 version (i can exactly remember the version but i know its the 15 something. and im still under 10.4.9 on this box.

stock cooling on a quad core is debateable. if you have the G0 stepping you're fine, running at a TDP of 95W. a little high, but manageable with Speedstep enabled. if you're using the other stepping [i forget which it is] you wont want to use stock for too long, it'll just get hot and stay hot.