P5LD2 SE + e4400, best settings for OC?

superkona

13 posts in this topic

I just replaced my MB with the P5LD2 SE/C Rev 2 PCB and an e4400 c2d. I have it running at 3Ghz now by changing the FSB to 300 (x10 multiplier) and have left all the other cpu / chipset settings to AUTO.

How far should I overclock and what settings have you found to be the best?

Thanks!

Hello superkona,

It seems the P5LD2 SE is the choice version for overclocking the e4000 series processors. My P5LD2 VM will only do a 265 FSB, bios limited at the present it seems. Unless ASUS changes this in the next bios update, I'm stuck at 265MHz with my e4400.

Wallstreet has a good thread on overclocking the P5LD2 boards here,

Hope this helps.

wallstreet's guide does not seem to apply very well to the P5LD2-SE boards with e4400 c2d. I have not been able to get beyond 3.2 Ghz - anything above 3 Ghz does not seem stable / run without crashing. If anyone out there has found a sweet spot for this combo please share it here. thanks.

HAve you tried raising your vcore? What do you have it running at???? I have a Asus P5W coupled with a e4300 and I do 3.4 pretty easily on vcore 1.5125. You may also need to raise your mem voltage a bit. experiment with those, but make sure you have good cooling.

hi BrazilMAC, I have not gone above 1.49 on vcore - right now everything is set to auto except fsb is set to 300. I'll try your suggestion. I have a nice gigabyte cooling system, not a prob. same one from my 805d that was clocked to 3.2. That felt like a furnace (front of pc) compared to this new c2d e4400.

btw, system is running around 43c here idle, 56 under loads. tropics here, no a/c in room so not too bad.

HAve you tried raising your vcore? What do you have it running at???? I have a Asus P5W coupled with a e4300 and I do 3.4 pretty easily on vcore 1.5125. You may also need to raise your mem voltage a bit. experiment with those, but make sure you have good cooling.

i was able to bump to 3.4 by increasing the voltage however while running geekbench i saw my temp reach 71c - a bit too high. idle is at 48c

will see how 3.2 goes, thanks!

btw, nice geekbench score at 3.4 = 4333

xbench is 165.27

right now i have it running at 3.2 with vcore set to 1.4, idle temp is 46c - when benchmarking temps go up to 66c - when encoding MP4 video temps reached 61c - i encode lots of video so that is the normal stress that the cpu will be seeing.

geekbench is 4052

how are my temps?

btw, using bresink's temperature monitor app - not sure how reliable that is but it sees temps for both cores.

hmmm...My temps at 3.4GHZ on my e4300 are around 60c. I dunno about your heatsink, but the one I have (Scythe Ninja Plus :( is the one that had the best benchmarks on most sites I looked at...thats why I get a lower reading. But again, I believe anything that OC will shortened the life of the cpu, but again these cpus are cheap. My opinion is you should be fine with those temps. I am not sure is the app you use is reliable though.

PS: Make sure you use Artic Silver paste. Thats the best compound

Hi all,

As I mentioned in my post here, I could only get 2.65 GHz with the e4400 and my P5LD2-VM board. So I got an e6700 on ebay and popped it in. Am running 3.35 GHz with 42ºC at idle and 62ºC underload. Setting core voltage to at least 1.45 is the key for me. This combo will do 3.4, but is unstable no matter what the vcore is. The computer will not post at 3.5 with the stock heat sink/fan combo.

So it seems if you have a VM board, you need an e6000 series processor to get the highest overclock.

Interesting thread!

Your 3.4 unstability problably has something to do with the memory divider. For some reason, some lower cpu speeds wont do for me as well, but higher ones are stable. Try playing with that if you are willing to go higher. But I guess, your OC is great regardless!!!!!

BrazilMAC,

I've been playing with various setting since your post and have this rig at 338GHz with CPU temp at 42ºC as I'm typing this. I'm not sure what you mean by memory divider. I came to this project from the mac side, so I'm still on a learning curve with bios settings. Do you mean what is called DRAM Frequency in the P5LD2-VM User Guide? If so, there are only three settings. I am using the middle choice, which I assume is 1:1. It does not seem to matter what DRAM Timing is used, so I have SPD enabled. Anyway, thanks for your comments.

A bit reading about memory dividers: http://www.overclock.net/faqs/85055-interp...iders-bios.html

Also, you may want to disable SPD and enter your manufactures recommended settings, sometimes the mobo may miss those SPd values. Thats what I always do. Depending on the type/brand of memory you have, change the SPD settings may give you a little edge over default values.

Regardless, great overclock!!!!!!!!!