iMac G3/233 not working....

Thrawnhex

11 posts in this topic

When you turn on a reb a/b (not sure about c/d) the power button turns orange to let you know that it has poewr, and then green when the display starts up. My imac exibis simaler behavior (see the thread below), and if you look in the corners when the led turns green, you can see a flash. Try unpluging it for 10 seconds, for me this almost always makes it bootable again. In fact, if you are in OS 9, and you know your not going to get that dialog that trys to repair the hd, you can let it boot, and try pressing the power button. If sound is on, you can hear the alert pop up, shortly folloed by it being read aloud. Hope this helps!

Does anything show up on the screen? It could be a blown flyback transformer. Try to pop off the back panel and unplug the monitor cable. If it doesn't shut down, you know it's a blown fbt. In this case, the cheapest solution is to buy an Apple->VGA adapter (not the ADC one) and run a standard PC monitor.

Yes it's the flyback transformer i seached with google and there are guides to repair the imac. but around the analog/video boards is high voltage so i dont want to exchange the flyback. I'll try to get new analog/video boards at ebay...

Thanks for your help Thrawnhex

edit: how can i connect to an ext. monitor i have the adaptor!

Ok i connected the adaptor, but then my showed out of range and "153.??khz/15hz" or something like this. What went wrong?

Thrawnhex

That's odd. It sounds like the iMac is trying to drive your display with a 153hz refresh rate, as opposed to a more reasonable 85hz. Are you able to see anything on the screen before this message appears?; a grey screen perhaps? And does the iMac still shut off after 10 seconds?