Getting a Geforce2 MX/MX 400 To Work

DrMaturin00

5 posts in this topic

For those with old nVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400 graphics cards, here is how to make your Hackintosh work (w/o CI/QE, unfortunately). I tried all kinds of combinations of Natit, Titan, AGPGart, and MacVidia, and this was the only solution I found. Here it is:

1. Somehow, boot into OS X, either in safe mode, or from the installation DVD. I know in my case that even if I couldn't boot from the hard drive, I could start OS X from the installation DVD. Just get there (If you don't know how to boot from the installation DVD, press F8, and type in rd=disk0s1 and hit enter).

2. Once in OS X, download and install the MacVidia 1.0.7 drivers. The 1.0.8 drivers might not work. Turn off your computer, and start from your hard drive.

Once that is done, you should be able to boot into OS X from the hard drive. However, you probably won't be able to adjust you Display settings; OS X crashed when I tried to. To be able to do that, do this:

3. Install the AGPGart 1.2 drivers, either from the installation DVD (which I did), or download them somehow (which I don't know much about).
Don't
use the AGPGart 2.x drivers, they don't work. Restart your computer.

At this point, you should be able to start your computer, boot into OS X from the hard drive, and adjust display settings. Now, I can't promise you this will work, but it did for me when nothing else did. I'm no expert, so I might be of little help with questions.

NOTE: I have an Matsonic 9087c motherboard (intel i865 chipset), and have Uphuck 10.4.9 installed.

Good Luck! :)

Thanks for the guide, but one question.... How can you download the MACVidia drivers if you can't get OS X to work with GeForce2 in the first place? I don't get step 1 lets say.. The DVD boots, but its after installation when i can't boot into the installed OS (it asks me to restart after the grey circle)

If you are able to access OS X with your configuration, why would you need to go through the rest of the steps?

Here's the deal: I could ONLY boot into OS X by booting from the installation DVD. When I booted from the hard drive, it would stop and give me an error. After doing what I did in the guide, I can boot from the hard drive.

Of course, this is with Uphuck 1.4i r3. Maybe this wont work with other installations.

Also, even when i started from the DVD, i still couldn't adjust display settings, so I still got an improvement.

Hope this clears things up. :D