Unofficial - Nvidia 8600GTS thread

miko88

62 posts in this topic

In this review of your card it does say that it is made by invidea and even has a lot of the same parts. However, it uses different H.264 and VC-1 decoding engines. You can try using OSX86Tools and selecting various 8600 cards, one of them MIGHT work.

Once you get your card to show up in "About this mac" removing the "inject" kext to enable QE should work.

• 1 month later...
In this review of your card it does say that it is made by invidea and even has a lot of the same parts. However, it uses different H.264 and VC-1 decoding engines. You can try using OSX86Tools and selecting various 8600 cards, one of them MIGHT work.

Once you get your card to show up in "About this mac" removing the "inject" kext to enable QE should work.

hi all....

I recently installed iPC MAC OS X 10.5.6 on my DG31PR intel motherboard.After install i used the delta update from apple

to upgrade to 10.5.7

everything works fine(i guess) except the graphics.Sound had a problem after upgrade to 10.5.7..but i used the patch and it went well..

The problem is i Cant c any videos...I used quicktime and VLC..i can hear the sound but no video..i guess my nvidia 8600gt is not installed properly.

When i check the display info it shows:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Display Connector:

DELL SE198WFP:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

any ideas to solve this to support videos...

thanks in advnce

• 2 months later...

I am also running into the QE issue I am on a XFX Geforce 8600GTS 256MB Ram.. Heres the specs not sure what to try, Ive tried efi studio which DOES NOT show 8600 gts 256MB!!! so for the time being i reverted the the original driver. I am up for any suggestions that will work for this card. Thank you

GeForce 8600 GTS:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600 GTS

Type: GPU

Slot: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Device ID: 0x0400

ROM Revision: NVIDIA Graphics Engine DSDT

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Rotation: Supported

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a newbie on Mac OS, but I really think to abbandon Microsoft OS.

Help me with one thing: i can't install a good kext for my graphic card xfx 8600 gts 256mb.....

how can I install a kext for this card to work in dual display and accelerated graphic include Quartz Extreme.

Please..... All working good, but my graphic card NO.... :P

Thanks,

Hi,

I have a Geforce 8600GT 512Mo running with SL 10.6.2 x64

I got QE/CI using EFI Studio. I use the DVI port which is pluged to a 15" LCD sony

When I try to put my TV instead of the LCD on the same port, SL boots but after logging I get a black screen and it's written no video.

I tried with NVenabler X64 in /extra/extensions but same result

If you have any ideas...

Thx

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have an 8600 GTS 256 MB card in a Dell Inspiron 530 running OSX for two years. It is stable and is my primary system currently running 10.6.3.

I do some photo work and my colors were off (mostly brightness) so I recently bought a Spyder 3 and tried doing a calibration. But no matter what I do, the grayscale does not track very well. Grays from around 40/40/40 to 65/65/65 have big deltaE variations. Basically there is no shadow detail.

So I installed Windows 7 on another partition and tried the same thing. And I got very good calibration results. Which means, its not the hardware (graphics card and monitor are good) but software that is causing my problems.

I am not sure what I can try to rectify this. Are there different drivers or installation methods? This is a vanilla install and as far as I remember, I did not have to do anything special for the card to be recognized.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleased that my EVGA 8600 GTS 256 MB is working on all resolutions without any Kext in 10.6.3, dual monitors both on DVI and QE/CI is enabled.

:)

However, I found the screen to be just a bit blurry. It's kinda sharp, really ok, but I mean.. not 100% crisp. I think I'm used to better results in Windows.

I tried to add NVenabler64.kext to my Chameleon extra folder. Still working with QE/CI and everything, but no difference on the sharpness.

Only 60 Hertz is selectable for both monitors. Normal?

_

@Yellowguy

What driver/kext are you using ?

-

• 1 month later...
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

Type: Display

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Device ID: 0x0400

ROM Revision: CoreVidia 1.1

Displays:

Display Connector:

X233H:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Ok, used the app "osX86 tools" to add an EFI string to com.apple.Boot.plist then removed NVinjectGo.kext and NVInject.kext. Now I have QE and QGL support! IMovie works great now!

i have the "same" thing on my laptop - Dell Vostro 1500 - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512Mb Mobile ... could you PLEASE offer few more details on what exactly have you edited in the EFI string to get it working without NVinjectGo and NVInject kexts ?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried getting a 8600GTS to work on a MacPro 1,1 (2006) using the tools you'd use to get it working with osx86? My ATI X1900 died and rather than get an officially compatible video card I just want to use a PC version I already have. I'd like to hear opinions before I waste any time injecting EFI code into the rom. Thanks!

Hey,

I'm from Germany and new in this scene.

I installed OSX 10.6.2 SSE2/SSE3 Intel AMD on my Intel PC.

All works well but my graphic card doesn't.

Can somebody tell me, how I install the Driver for the 8600 GT (512mb) card?

I read something about NV inject and so on.. But I didn't see a Tutorial.

Please help!!

Greets from Frankfurt.