Leopard Nearly Finalized

Takuro

62 posts in this topic

This is pathetic. Incase you have forgotton the aim of this webpage was, and still should be running osx on non apple hardware. Good idea huh? perhaps we could code name it osx86, clever right??????

The fact you put someone blogged a method to run leopard on x86 computers and didn't even give a link shows how poor this site has become. All we hear about now are storys stolen from other sources which if we were bothered about we would go to anyway!

Pathetic.

Don't make me get the cat pictures..

Leopard has been ready to go for some time now .... But , Apple has spent to much time re-writing in a effort to make it harder to be hacked.

End result really F*ed things up.

The Software companies are just like the Record and Movie companies ... :)

Worried about the bottom line. $$$$$

They don't give a flying F* about the end users..

ZZ

How can you say that? I have installed Leopard and it is nothing like Windows.

Ill agree, it is nothing like windows, i just dont really like osx, i use it, but windows is much more productive for me. its a personal thing, although the gui is quite nice in leo ill agree =] but i just get things done in windows.... not so much in osx

but there is one ui issue, the one that stoplight tried to fix, but thats a big one. its so nonuniform.....

& its quite possible this is because i have used windows all my life though.

& yep zzrabbit, thats why theres bsd, and linux and their derivitives

there is also solaris 10

lol i must apologise for my earlier post i wasn't in the best mood at the time and have taken on board comments posted in response to mine however this one did make me laugh:

wow luke255,

after just four posts you have made it on my ignore list.

great job! :censored2: !

you might already be on that list, i'm sure you have another

user name. maybe the dumbass who let the file into the wild

and wrote a step by step guide?

Well no, dave, this would be my first user account on insanelymac, one i have had since the 26th Apr 2006. Also, if I had written the guide would i really be angry that i couldn't see it....? But if im on your ignore list you may not be able to read this. I don't know seeing as im not that dismissive and am not ignoring anyone (even the wierdos who hate apple and have accounts on here...).

Peace! - luke255

Ill agree, it is nothing like windows, i just dont really like osx, i use it, but windows is much more productive for me. its a personal thing, although the gui is quite nice in leo ill agree =] but i just get things done in windows.... not so much in osx

but there is one ui issue, the one that stoplight tried to fix, but thats a big one. its so nonuniform.....

& its quite possible this is because i have used windows all my life though.

& yep zzrabbit, thats why theres bsd, and linux and their derivitives

there is also solaris 10

ok, this is the last time i will let people say this:

WHEN U CLOSE A WINDOW IN WINDOWS, IT DOESNT QUIT THE APPLICATION, so they function the exact same except in osx it shows the app running, :censored2:

WHEN U CLOSE A WINDOW IN WINDOWS, IT DOESNT QUIT THE APPLICATION

It does. Sometimes. Sort of.

Windows apps are either SDI (think calculator, or anything that is based around a simple wizard) or MDI (think MS Word or IE).

In an SDI application, when you close the window, the application quits. As soon as I click on the X to close down my copy of calculator, calculator.exe vanishes from my list of running processes.

An MDI application muddies the waters. The interface (menu, toolbar etc.) are not tied to a particular document, but shared between them. What happens when I close the window is dependent on the application, and whether I have any other documents open. Some applications quit when you close the last remaining open document, others leave the user interface hanging around for you to quit seperately. Nonetheless, in Windows you can always quit an application if you click on enough Xs

This compares to OS X, where SDI applications don't really exist (apart from on the dashboard?) and all other applications are MDI-ish - the application and its windows are separate entities. As a newcomer to OS X I'm consciously finding this much more logical (no more swearing when I accidentally close the last window in a program like photoshop and have to wait for it to re-load), but subconsciously it takes some getting used to after using Windows for so long.

It does. Sometimes. Sort of.

Windows apps are either SDI (think calculator, or anything that is based around a simple wizard) or MDI (think MS Word or IE).

In an SDI application, when you close the window, the application quits. As soon as I click on the X to close down my copy of calculator, calculator.exe vanishes from my list of running processes.

An MDI application muddies the waters. The interface (menu, toolbar etc.) are not tied to a particular document, but shared between them. What happens when I close the window is dependent on the application, and whether I have any other documents open. Some applications quit when you close the last remaining open document, others leave the user interface hanging around for you to quit seperately. Nonetheless, in Windows you can always quit an application if you click on enough Xs

This compares to OS X, where SDI applications don't really exist (apart from on the dashboard?) and all other applications are MDI-ish - the application and its windows are separate entities. As a newcomer to OS X I'm consciously finding this much more logical (no more swearing when I accidentally close the last window in a program like photoshop and have to wait for it to re-load), but subconsciously it takes some getting used to after using Windows for so long.

same with mac os x, when u close system prefs. it qiuts the application

Then what the hell are you doing on this board?

I'm not gonna lie, that's one of the funniest comments ever. Sig'd.

This is my only fear about Leopard. PLEASE Apple don't be boneheads like Microsoft was, don't release it until it's ready :blink:

I always get a kick out of people saying this, They complain because an OS isn't released on time because it's not deemed "gold" ready by the developers, and they complain that it was released too soon and is full of bugs, it can only be one way or the other. Personnaly I'm glad Windows is buggy, it keeps food on my table and a roof over my head!

I always get a kick out of people saying this, They complain because an OS isn't released on time because it's not deemed "gold" ready by the developers, and they complain that it was released too soon and is full of bugs, it can only be one way or the other.

Maybe your comprehension is low, because we only complained about coming out too soon. Where in that statement does it say ANYTHING about it taking too long? If you're talking about what other people have said, then you need to rephrase your comment. It might also be a good idea to give everyone here an example of what topics people don't go one way or the other on. It's human nature.

Personnaly I'm glad Windows is buggy, it keeps food on my table and a roof over my head!

LOL :huh: Now that's funny! I'm sure Apple is happy about it too. Last week I sold two Mac minis to customers who were sick and tired of getting viruses :) Too bad I didn't make any money on it, but at least I know these people will no longer be caught up in the windows marry-go-round :P

Sorry, I should have been clearer as far as the complaints, I was refering more to the Windows users. I'm active in the microsoft forums, and it was a daily post before Vista came out, people whining because it wasn't released yet, and after it's released, people complaining that it was released to soon. I saw a post, I think in this thread, about Windows users being stupid, and I would have to agree a vast majority are clueless. I remember on a post I replied to, the user had managed, by an assortment of adapters and dongles, to convert a USB port to a DB15 connector and had a monitor plugged in to it, and was wondering why he couldn't get video out of it :( I've noticed Mac users in general seem to be a more intelligent bunch.

I saw a post, I think in this thread, about Windows users being stupid, and I would have to agree a vast majority are clueless.

Yep, I'd have to agree. Why else would they be using windows? :D:)

However I think it's important for us to distinguish the usual uneducated users who 'insist' on running windows, and those people who simply aren't aware of Apples OS. I find that this is usually older people. I sold two Mac minis to people like this because they simply wasn't aware of Tiger or Leopard, and when I explained the differences between windows and Macs they asked "why doesn't everyone use Macs"? I reminded them that 5 minutes ago they didn't know about Macs and they responded "Good point" :D So not everyone is computer savvy, and those people tend to use windows simply because they didn't know that they had a choice. Some people actually still believe the myth that Macs cost more. Education is the key.

the user had managed, by an assortment of adapters and dongles, to convert a USB port to a DB15 connector and had a monitor plugged in to it, and was wondering why he couldn't get video out of it :huh:

Now that's down right Darwin scary ;):blink:

Some people actually still believe the myth that Macs cost more. Education is the key.

Unfortunately, we live in a disposable world, people want to buy things on the cheap, and they can get a Dell or (it pains me to say it) an Emachine for under $300, use it for a year or 2, and toss it and buy a new one. Macs aren't cheap enough to be able to do this (or are they? I haven't seen one that low, I think $599 is the cheapest I've seen lately), but, baring any hardware issues, they are useable for a longer period. With Windows, the thing gets infected by god knows what, and with a $300 dollar PC, it's not much more $$ to go out and buy a new one rather than to pay shop labor rates to unscrew the old one.

I've been a Windows user (and tech) since Windows 3.1 was popular, but OSX is growing on me rapidly. I will never convert 100% because I'm a heavy gamer, so I'll always have a Windows box, plus I have o keep up on the latest OS from Microsoft to keep the paychecks coming in!

Unfortunately, we live in a disposable world, people want to buy things on the cheap, and they can get a Dell or (it pains me to say it) an Emachine for under $300, use it for a year or 2, and toss it and buy a new one. Macs aren't cheap enough to be able to do this (or are they? I haven't seen one that low, I think $599 is the cheapest I've seen lately), but, baring any hardware issues, they are useable for a longer period. With Windows, the thing gets infected by god knows what, and with a $300 dollar PC, it's not much more $$ to go out and buy a new one rather than to pay shop labor rates to unscrew the old one.

That is FUD and you know it...

That thread is useless, what one person needs or wants to get with a computer has nothing to do with what another person wants or gets, many points in that thread are not applicable to everyone, and your going to apply it accross the board to everyone? Many times when people go out and buy a new PC, they already have all the software they need, so moot point there. Few people use bluetooth, unnecessary add on for many there, most home users don't need XP Pro, and the list goes on. Tacking on aditional, unneccessary upgrades that most home users don't need, just to make a Mac look comparable in price, that is an old tactic salesmen have been using for ages to sell any number of things. Adding an un named piece of software to the Dell because the Mac has some board games? Give me a break.

I'll agree that Macs come with a great software bundle and are definetly worth the money, but tacking items on to a PC to compare it, when most web surfing, emailing home users won't use hardly any of that software, isn't always a fair comparison. If the user needs all that software, I think it's a fair comparison, but not everyone does, so I don't think it can be applied accross the board.

And we're getting wayyyyyy off topic here

You missed the whole point of what they were trying to do...

They were trying to compare Apples with (dell)Apples. I think that's the whole point in trying to honestly compare something isn't it? :) Obviously if someone was going out to buy a new computer they would customize the package to fit their needs, but that has nothing to do with what they were proving in the comparison ;)

I got the point, but I don't think substituting un-named software for a game package that's on the Mac for the sake of bumping up the Dell's price is credible. It's obvious this comparison was done by someone trying to make the Mac look good. Maybe If I get bored I'll do one, I have no bias, I'm a fanboy of neither format, but I like both.

I got the point, but I don't think substituting un-named software for a game package that's on the Mac for the sake of bumping up the Dell's price is credible.

Then obviously you wouldn't buy that package, but someone else might...

Again, this comparison ISN'T a recommendation of what to buy, it's ONLY to show each platforms value.

It's obvious this comparison was done by someone trying to make the Mac look good.

I see no direct evidence of that. I've seen this comparison MANY times over the years with the same results each time.

I am new to mac. I am a refugee from Linux, distro Xandros. Anyway, I have two g4's and now a g5 1.6 all running Tiger. I like to show you all something though. Don't be offended, but it seems that some borrowing has been going on at apple. Hee Hee. Anyway, I like OS X. I am a veteran of Linux and will continue to support Linux and even Xandros, but I think for getting simple work done, OS X is the way to go for now. Without further adu, here is the link that may open some peoples eyes. Take special note of the docking bar. The ideas were around for about 2.5 years now. i know they borrowed from apple the dock, but look at the similarity for what leopard will add and what is now a dying project:

http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.xml

Eric

I am new to mac. I am a refugee from Linux, distro Xandros. Anyway, I have two g4's and now a g5 1.6 all running Tiger. I like to show you all something though. Don't be offended, but it seems that some borrowing has been going on at apple. Hee Hee. Anyway, I like OS X. I am a veteran of Linux and will continue to support Linux and even Xandros, but I think for getting simple work done, OS X is the way to go for now. Without further adu, here is the link that may open some peoples eyes. Take special note of the docking bar. The ideas were around for about 2.5 years now. i know they borrowed from apple the dock, but look at the similarity for what leopard will add and what is now a dying project:http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.xmlEric
Oh wow, I'm definetly going to try out SunOS , I never tried SunOS cause I thought it was Solaris. I will research more on this though. Thanks.
Oh wow, I'm definetly going to try out SunOS , I never tried SunOS cause I thought it was Solaris. I will research more on this though. Thanks.
Looks like SunOS is now called Solaris :).