Reinstall Windows XP without destroying darwin boot

8 posts in this topic

I think when you reinstall XP you will loose Darwin to a sense but then all you need to do is make OS X your active partition and Darwin will be back up and running. Alternatively you could just use the chain0 method after you've reinstalled XP instead of using Darwin boot.

NO NEED TO RE-INSTALL WINDOWS,

JUST DOWNLOAD THIS FILE AND EXTRACT IT

YOULL FIND com.apple.Boot.plist

COPY AND Paste this file: com.apple.Boot.plist

inside YOUR OSX PARTITION/library/preferences/systemconfiguration

THEN OPEN DISK UTILITY, AND REPAIR DISK PERMISSION

REBOOT...

WHEN DARWIN LOADS UP.. YOU WILL BE PRESENTED 2 PARTITION TO BOOT FROM. CHOOSE YOUR WINXP PARTITION OR OSX PARTITION. AND THATS IT.

DUAL BOOTING IS ENABLED.

***MAKE SURE WIN XP IS ON THE FIRST PARTITION

***MAKE SURE YOU HAVENT DELETED THE WIN XP PARTITION YET.

Hi Napalm:

On my OSx86 PC, when I installed Windows XP SP2, it made the Windows partition active. I just used Windows 98 CD-ROM to launch fdisk and then set active partition back to the OS X one (ID was af).

After rebooting, I was presented with Darwin Boot Menu where I can select OS X or Windows.

--danyel ;)

Differents solution for the same problem... i don't know if everybody understand me.

boinkytwo, yes I NEED TO REINSTALL WINDOWS, becouse is a s.h.i.t of OS and it not works well now, and the best solution is reinstall. Now i has a nice boot with darwin. If i install Windows again it will destroy this boot, and i wont

AcePlayer i dont want ot make a chain0 method i like the actual boot.

Danyel, yes this is the boot that i has now, but (i repeat) if i installa windows in any partition this will destroy the boot on another partitions.

The only that i want is protect the OSX boot from windows! ;)

Hi Napalm:

When I first got my PC, I created two partitions (one for OS X and one for Windows). I installed Mac OS X on one partition first. After I got Mac OS X up and running, I installed Windows onto the other partition. After I got Windows up and running, I set Active Partition back to Mac OS X partition.

After rebooting, you should have your Darwin Boot menu back.

Installing Windows did not affect Mac OS X partition on my PC. I've done a few clean re-installs of Mac OS X and Windows on my PC. Neither affected the other partition (except for setting active partition after installing windows).

This is the experience I had on my PC. Does anyone have any more opinions or experiences?

--danyel :)

ok ok...

if you want to re-install then go ahead... but FYI winxp is still there, not unless you deleted the partition.

now, if you really want the painful way of re-installing windows. then install it anyway.

but after installation your default bootup partition is windows xp. not unless you use the chain0 techinique.

if you want to set your osx as your default bootup partition, then you must set it back to active. you may use any windows install cd to do that. but i also have a boot cd for that available here.

you can setup osx as your default bootup partition by using the darwin techinique by editing the com.appleboot.plist file. and that this file is already mentioned in my previous post.