Help pls: os x 86 on vmware reads my physical drive as 128GB not 180GB

13 posts in this topic

help! os x 86 install ISO on vmware reads my physical drive as 128GB not 180GB.

my actual hard drive is 300gb and i created 2 x 90GB partition to install windows in the first partition and hackintosh in the second partition. when i try to install os x by vmware and use the entire hard disk as my physical hard disk (300gb) OS X installer reads only 128GB of partition.

does anyone know how to resolve os x to boot all the correct partition map that i have 2 x 90gb in my 300gb hdd please

here are the screenshots

osx_install_90.JPG

and this

osx_install_128.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for saying this but you REALLY dont need any more than 10-20GB for OSX86. Trust me, after you install OSx86 you're not going to want to use it very much.

Thats a normal limitation that sometimes appears, hard drive partitions can't be more than 128GB in size. In Windows XP, installing SP2 fixes it but I don't know how to fix it in Mac OSx86.

A good solution is: Split the 300GB virtual drive into 3 100GB Virtual IDE Drives. That should fix it. And then later if you wanted to merge them together into one single drive again, you could use RAID 0 I think (?)

Post back if you have any more questions.

I am bumping this because I have a similar problem,

my pc:

amd 64 x2 3800

1gbg ram

400gb sata (partitioned into c:(ntfs) for windows 44gb, d: for data (ntfs) 250gb and e: for macosx 78gb (fat32))

asrock mobo, w/ graphics on board, nforce4 chip

win xp pro sp2

vmware 6 latest build

uphuck 10.4.9 v.1.3

now, here is my problem. I load up the image in vmware, virtual machine created as said in all the guides for "vm to native". Everthiny loads ok, but then when I open the disk utility, it shows me two paritiions: one 44 gb and two 128.

The weird thing is, i have stored the whole machine in e:, so it shouldnt see anything but e:, right? partition one, looking at the size seems to be my windows partition, partition two, i have no idea. How can the Disk Utiliry see any patitions besides, which the machine is stored on?

what is my next step to fix this?

You don't get it. You don't have to burn an HD image, you just burn the install DVD ONCE. And why would you burn it over and over again? If it doesn't work with the first DVD, it's not going to work no matter how many DVDs you make. Burn a install DVD, boot from it, install it on your partition, and you have OS X and you never have to use the install DVD again...Hope you get it this time.

Im having a similar problem with my WD 250GB drive. Upon installation disk util reads the drive as 128 gb but installing on another drive and using disk util once os x is installed it reads it as the correct space. the other funny thing is that installing was always right until i tried to partition with partition magic with fat 32. ive tried deleting everything so it is raw but nothing works. Anyone know whats going on?

OK people, please...You do NOT need any more than 20GB for OS X if you are running on VMware. And even if you are running native, 128GB should be plenty. Just leave it as it is. And if you really want the extra storage, heres an idea:

Just format the 128GB recognized hard drive as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

Install Mac OS X on the drive

Once the installation if fully working, try booting Disk Utility from the OS X installer DVD again and see if it recognizes the full capacity..

Just a theory. Absolutely no guarantee it will work, hasn't been tested.

It doesn't work, as it will flash for a second and no changes are made to the 128gb partition. Seems that VMWARE has confused itself?

(I actually successfully installed os x x86 by installing a PATA/IDE drive on my desktop, but now it detects the ethernet card in "network" under "about this mac", but does not allow it to be a choice of connection in network settings)

here is a solution for the 128GB disk limitation

What I describe here is always said in the relevant forums - but sometimes

we don't read all posts available - nobody is perfect! (including me)

Hi to everyone and especially to those buddies

who has the 128GB HDisk restriction - and have an AMD and the

nForce4 chipset on their mobo northbridge. Google for AppleNForceATA.kext.zip !

(I found it at "https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7950")

Integrate the kext-file into /System/Library/Extensions and look what happens

after rebooting. On my Asus M2N8-VMX mobo and the nForce405 chipset it works perfectly.

Before the integration of that KEXT

- my 320GB IDE drive was listed as a 128GB hdisk

- my 500GB SATA drive was NEVER listed!

With the 128GB restriction you will also probably recognize a tremendous low traffic

by copying a -say- 1GB file to another file (max 4MB/s). My hdisks both -

works now as it should be - after the nForce4 kext injection on my Tiger 10.4.8

40GB primary partition (I cannot speak about VMware).

And the hdisk size will now be displayed correct in

About This Mac -> More Info... -> the ATA subfolder

I hope it works for all of those who have the nForce4 chipset on their AMD mobo!