My experiences trying vista, vmware, uphuck 1.4i r3

1 post in this topic

I finally got osx to boot on my vista, vmware 6.0 and uphuck 1.4i r3. Read below to see all the problems i got and the fixes, i thought id share as i found it difficult to find fixes for some.

OK my setup

Shuttle SD37P2

ICH7 chipset

Chipzilla 6600 Core 2 Duo

2 x Sata 2 HDD 160Gb Raid 0 = 300Gb

2Gb DDR II 667 Ram

X1950 Pro ATI

19" widescreen

1) downloaded uphuck 1.4i r3 (intel only) and vmware (legal?).

2) ran vmware, created virtual machine.

****Problem 1****

Because I have a core 2 duo (or any conroe march) I need to create a vm with the host os as windows -> windows nt, or it doesnt work

****Problem 2****

For some motherboards you will need to specify to use IDE as the drive on the host OS, SCSI is defaulted so change it. To know if you need to do this, when you come to install you will not be able to access the vm drive in setup to create a partition

3) mount the uphuck dvd

****Problem 3****

PowerISO does not mount it properly (well not the version i was using), use 120% alcohol.

4) alter the settings of the vm to use the mounted drive

5) start the vm

****Problem 4****

if you do not click in the vm to enable mouse + keyboard, i was getting errors, click in asap.

6) when prompted click F8 to install off disk

7) type -v as options on install which will give you messages as it loads.

****problem 5****

i got some errors about the install talking to the disk, but i ignored this and it worked fine

8) the setup should load, progress through the first 2 screens to the screen where it asks you choose where to install, go into disk utility of the menus at the top

9) on the left the vm drive should be listed (if not see setting to IDE above). click it and click on the partition tab, select 1 partition from the drop down and give it a name

****Problem 6****

After setup if you get a blinking cursor then the boot volume is not set, follow procedures to set it up, if this still does not work then you need to set the partition to MBR and not Apple GUID. just before you click partition on the disk utility during setup you need to go in to options and change it to MBR (Master Boot Record).

10) I changed the option to MBR (as above) and created the partition (why is osx so much faster than MSFT at this).

11) continue with setup, i selected only the custom option during install for my chipset nothing more (to see if install works)./

12) install

13) upon reboot you should see it loading, if prompted to set options set options to '-x -v'.

****Problem 7****

I got an error about the OS looking for 64 bit or something but i ignored this and it still worked? dont know why

14) it should boot ok and you set up a user/

and done it loads, ok no ethernet, sound and low graphics but booted. and i will look into them next.

The one im not looking forward to is my x1950 pro, aparantly its not supported that well