Blue White G3 Case mod

AlpineRaven

110 posts in this topic

this great to see. i've been thinking of doing this for some time just last week i bought the GA-G41M-ES2L similar to the motherboard suggested earlier.

and i am absolutely positive it will be a dream.

thankyou for all your ideas and comments it adds up to a project anyone can enjoy

, hassle free.

will post pics soon.

• 8 months later...

Hello there,

I'm building a G3 mod as well. I was wondering if anyone could help out with the soldering of the PCB. I have a few questions. On another site, the guy mentioned cutting the lines to other board components......did you do this? Also, can you better explain how the LED works. There are three prongs on the back of my PCB, how do i set this up to light up green when I power on?

Thanks,

Doug

I was wondering if anyone could help out with the soldering of the PCB. I have a few questions. On another site, the guy mentioned cutting the lines to other board components......did you do this?

Nope. Wasn't needed for me.

Also, can you better explain how the LED works. There are three prongs on the back of my PCB, how do i set this up to light up green when I power on?

Simply try it out with a battery or something. That's what I did.

When you found the correct cable/prong mark it and start soldering! :)

• 4 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old topic !

But I was wondering if any of you could tell me if the Asus PN5-D motherboard would fit for this project...

Also,

how big of a psu (in watts) would I need to power up a Sapphire radeon5670, 4gb of corsair ddr3 ram, intel core 2 quad q8300 cpu@2.5ish ghz, a few case fans, a cpu fan, and a basic linksys pci wlan card...

Oh, and props to the guys that succeeded building there H(M)ac pros !

Full size ATX motherboards wont fit in the G3/G4 cases without really heavy modding.

But an ATI 5xxx, 4gb of RAM and a Quad should pull around ~300W, so I would say that any really good 400-450W should do just fine. My system is more powerful than yours, and it works fine with a 400W Corsair. As soon as it arrives I'll be using one of the new Antec HCG-400W power supplies.

mATX boards work best in the G3/G4 cases, but you have to keep the board as slim as possible because of how the RAM sits, and where the CD drive sits, unless you do a slot loading drive mod to it, but most don't opt for that. It's all down to your preference, I went for something that looked as stock as possible.

Sorry for reviving an old topic !

But I was wondering if any of you could tell me if the Asus PN5-D motherboard would fit for this project...

Also,

how big of a psu (in watts) would I need to power up a Sapphire radeon5670, 4gb of corsair ddr3 ram, intel core 2 quad q8300 cpu@2.5ish ghz, a few case fans, a cpu fan, and a basic linksys pci wlan card...

Oh, and props to the guys that succeeded building there H(M)ac pros !

The best mainboards that fit, are µATX mainboards. They have a smaller form factor, which is perfect for using them in a G3/G4 casemod.

PSU? I have a Xigmatek go green 400 watts power supply (NRP-PC402)

I recommend it, because it's just labeled as a 400watts power supply. It really has 500watts, like the bigger model PC-502. It's also a quality PSU from Seasonic. It's super cheap but really good (unlike many/most other cheap PSUs).

What mainboard did you use for your project?

I'm looking at some micro ATX's off of newegg or tigerdirect...

would you reccomend ddr2 ram compatible mainboard, or ddr3?

Thanks for the tips !

I _had_ a G3 casemod. I built it with an Asus P5GC-MX/1333, which isn't suitable for your needs.

DDR2 or DDR3? You get nearly no speed benefits from DDR3, but it's cheaper or will get cheaper than DDR2 Ram.

• 2 weeks later...

It honestly doesn't matter whether you go with Core 2 or a new Core i* series, you need to do research on how the G3 case opens and closes, and the layout of boards that you would potentially buy. This includes researching compatible boards.

I'm very out of the loop, and honestly I don't remember if I still have my old Tyan board. I know it didn't work well with OS X at all.

Layout is important because of the optical drive, and RAM, taking up just about the same space. My G3 case is up for grabs even (if you wanted a case to use as a base to start your project. It's not in perfect shape, but has lots of the work done (although mostly temporary, and a lot needs to be re-done).

G3 cases are probably a poor choice if you're looking for a cheap conversion to do. If you're willing to put in more time/effort, then it could pay off, but the layout is poor for a PC, at best.