Blue White G3 Case mod

AlpineRaven

110 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Figured out how to put the dual radiator in. It will go in the bottom, with its fans pushing air into the case (unfortunately, that means that I will lose all of those neat places to mount HDDs -- jerry-rigged a solution that will put the HDD on top of the drive caddy using a Lian Li floppy caddy). The only thing I am somewhat worried about is the airflow around the socket, specifically regarding the MOSFETs, with a graphics card installed.

So, next up: drilling holes for the 2 120mm radial fans that go on the radiator and removing the stand-offs.

Regarding cases, there's a couple of very neat looking G4 enclosures, several Graphites, Quicksilvers and even a G3 on German eBay, that appear to be going for quite reasonable prices -- although shipping would probably be a killer. There was one very neat looking Graphite on the American site, as well. Darn, I kinda feel like I overpaid on mine :angry:

Tuukka - the mATX boards are really the only ones that fit in this case in terms of size. It's strictly a size requirement and really only the smaller mATX boards will fit. I wish the larger boards would fit as I'm in the market to upgrade and can't find a mATX mobo that works for my purposes. In terms of the wiki, there are so many intel boards both ATX and mATX many that just aren't posted as working or not working in the HCL forums (I help keep it as up to date as possible). Basically if you're going to buy a board that is an unknown is going to have to based on the chipsets, etc. Goodluck and post your results. I need to post pics of my case, it's missing the DVD drive as of now or atleast the mounting bracket to be complete.

Hello im from spain, i a newbie in the Mac & Hackintosh World, i ordered a used G4 Sawtooth, and i would do the same mod as your, the specs are:

G33M-DS2R + E6400 + 2Gb 800 2 SATAII dvd etc.. i think that this motherboard will fit good.

The only thing that worry me, its that the case, have a Zip drive inside, and i have some questions about it: First, i readed in wikipedia that it hasnt have IDE interface... Its true? If the interface it`s SCSI i would like to fit and standard floppy in his place... What do you think?

Any suggestions will be good :)

** Sorry for my lvl of english, this forum rules!

Hello im from spain, i a newbie in the Mac & Hackintosh World, i ordered a used G4 Sawtooth, and i would do the same mod as your, the specs are:

G33M-DS2R + E6400 + 2Gb 800 2 SATAII dvd etc.. i think that this motherboard will fit good.

The only thing that worry me, its that the case, have a Zip drive inside, and i have some questions about it: First, i readed in wikipedia that it hasnt have IDE interface... Its true? If the interface it`s SCSI i would like to fit and standard floppy in his place... What do you think?

Any suggestions will be good :)

** Sorry for my lvl of english, this forum rules!

here ya go

http://shop.boomj.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi...L-852582-852582

Tuukka - the mATX boards are really the only ones that fit in this case in terms of size. It's strictly a size requirement and really only the smaller mATX boards will fit. I wish the larger boards would fit as I'm in the market to upgrade and can't find a mATX mobo that works for my purposes. In terms of the wiki, there are so many intel boards both ATX and mATX many that just aren't posted as working or not working in the HCL forums (I help keep it as up to date as possible). Basically if you're going to buy a board that is an unknown is going to have to based on the chipsets, etc. Goodluck and post your results. I need to post pics of my case, it's missing the DVD drive as of now or atleast the mounting bracket to be complete.

its not a size of the mATX boards, its the positioning of the ATX power input as well as the RAM and how they correspond to the optical drive of choice. ATX boards don't fit because of the 4 slot vs 7 slot difference at the bottom of the board.

if manufacturers changed where slots were located, boards would be better.

its not a size of the mATX boards, its the positioning of the ATX power input as well as the RAM and how they correspond to the optical drive of choice. ATX boards don't fit because of the 4 slot vs 7 slot difference at the bottom of the board.if manufacturers changed where slots were located, boards would be better.
Ok. So my badaxe is not going to fit inside g4 case. Damn. Maybe I just have to mod my existing nexus breeze case little to make it look better.

I have some 3,5 to 5,12 adapters my question was will fit in my x86 system?

I`m want to fit the zip unit in my OSX86, but i haven`t SCSI controller, and i don`t know what kind of interface it has... anyone knows? Thanks!

Zip drives use standard 40pin ribbon cables just like that of a 3.5" hard drive. i've never seen a SCSI zip drive, but i'm sure they exist.

that and why Zip? just go for a 3.5" card reader, and you'll bring that mac much more up-to-date, and it'll be able to do more.

-------------------

and i'm sure many people are wondering how far i've gotten with G3 hackintosh, well, nowhere. when the board is in the case, it wont POST. i will try to weld the screws in place, and if that doesn't work i don't know what i'll do. all the components work fine, and they're firmly seated. the motherboard does work, i installed XP and updated its BIOS, so i know its good. will continue work later.

I dont want card readers, because i don`t want to modify the external face of the case, the only mod that i`m thinking it`s to fit FW and USB ports in the front...

Another questions, have you used the speaker as buzzer? i have to chose again, i can conect it (with a bit of soldering ^^ ) to my frontal audio out... but im not sure to do that..

• 2 months later...
...CD/DVD Drive touching - If you get LG DVD burner they're smallest then you might get away with it...

Hello again,

I also have P5GZ-MX and build it into a G3 case. As I had already a LG DVD which is only 14,5 cm, I thought it would fit, but it didn´t. I had to cut out the dvd-holder and I had to resolder one capacitor, one coil and the connector for case fan on the motherboard.

shila

DiaboliK - I appreciate the suggestion, it's not bad I'm just not sure it will work, the front panel on my quicksilver case is not like those. I'll have to look into it more in the future though. I'm moving to a new house so things are a little hectic and modding is lower down on the list of things that need to get done.

also, off the topic, apparently I don't have permission to view blogs for whatever reason!?! any suggestions to fix that?

DiaboliK - I appreciate the suggestion, it's not bad I'm just not sure it will work, the front panel on my quicksilver case is not like those. I'll have to look into it more in the future though. I'm moving to a new house so things are a little hectic and modding is lower down on the list of things that need to get done.

what you have is not a quicksilver case, its the first revision G4 case before the quicksilver. (when Steve decided silver is the new black)

only quicksilvers look like mine and all the ones i mentioned.

theres also the MDD (mirrored disk drive) but those are setup btx style.

-D-

@Diabolik: any idea if the front panel of a quicksilver case will fit my revision of the case? I could easily find a quicksilver front panel on ebay or somewhere and think the mod you discussed is pretty easy to manage provided I can just swap front panels. I can paint the rest of the case to match what I make the front look like after that...thanx

That's a good job you've done there but I, being a collector, would rather just have the original but now not only can you run your Windows apps/games on it but it's probably a lot more powerful and that would probably make a great machine with the easy open side panel and of course the Apple touch to the case.

@Diabolik: any idea if the front panel of a quicksilver case will fit my revision of the case? I could easily find a quicksilver front panel on ebay or somewhere and think the mod you discussed is pretty easy to manage provided I can just swap front panels. I can paint the rest of the case to match what I make the front look like after that...thanx

quite possible but i have no clue if the drive bays will work the same without a ton of cutting and modding.

quicksilvers are my favorite case out of all the g4' cases cause of ease.

second is the G4 powermac cube cause its so cute and tiny, but a pain in the arse to get osx86 compatible pc parts to fit and work properly and all fit inside it. ;)

I've done a G3 hack back in the early days of OSx86 that I sold to a friend. I can say that it has been the hardest mod I have ever attempted. The Mac Pro's are waaaaaaaay easier than the G3. If you're not in to possibly loosing and/or scratching the {censored} out of your fingers this should not be attempted. At all. ;)

well from looking at the images out there it looks like the metal portion of the case is identical which is really the only part I've modded (wanted it to look stock). Based on that i think swapping the fronts might work, modding i'm not worried about, it only requires the time you put into it. Only question remaining is the cost...the front panel runs about $30+ at different places online while I can get a quick silver on ebay for around $15 + $25 shipping....we'll see...I'd love to just pony out the case for a mac pro case just because they are so well designed (and obviously inspired by the g4 quicksilver)

• 2 weeks later...

I would heartily recommend Gigabyte's GA-G31M-S2L. In my opinion it has 3 major advantages, that make this board THE BOARD to use in this mod:

1 - with it's 9.6" x 7.6" dimensions is slimmer than anything out there. Memory sticks clear CD bay with ease

Mobo%20Fit.jpghttp://ichau.com:59/G4/

2 - Intel's new G31 chipset is waaay better than old 945G. It can take on a Quad Q6600, 4GB DDR2 800 and a 8800GT. I melted three 945G based boards with C2D, 2GB DDR2 667 and X1900XT. With my new set up, I get less than 40C in idle and 48C gaming and is stable as a rock.

3 - it's cheap!

20083_large.jpg