Did G4 users just get bitch-slapped

23 posts in this topic

According to Mactracker, Apple stopped selling G4 laptops in May 2006 (the last iBook G4). The G4 Mac mini was stopped in February 2006. This means there are still people using a brand spankin' new G4 system pretty much one year ago.

Now looking at iLife 08's system requirements, these G4 owners are stunned that their systems are not viable:

iMovie requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster).

Did Apple send a collective {censored}-slap to G4 owners (who just bought a system last year) or is this just seeing a conspiracy where there isn't any?

It's only iMovie 08 that doesn't support G4's though. The rest of the suite, which includes iDVD, iPhoto, iWeb, and Garageband do support G4's. It's probably a processing contraint issue, which are probably better suited for the G5's and the new C2D's, which have increased power.

Either way though...G4 users shouldn't feel bad...the new iMovie 08 is {censored} anyways. The rest of the iLife 08 is awesome, same with iWork...but iMovie 08...is a big step backwards from iMovie 6 HD.

There could be a workaround. I think you might be able to install iMovie 08 on G4's using Pacifist...not sure though.

According to Mactracker, Apple stopped selling G4 laptops in May 2006 (the last iBook G4). The G4 Mac mini was stopped in February 2006. This means there are still people using a brand spankin' new G4 system pretty much one year ago.

Now looking at iLife 08's system requirements, these G4 owners are stunned that their systems are not viable:

Did Apple send a collective {censored}-slap to G4 owners (who just bought a system last year) or is this just seeing a conspiracy where there isn't any?

:censored2: you Apple. I am not happy :angel::(:P:thumbsdown_anim:

You guys HAVE used ilife on a g4, riiiight?

My main machine's a Powerbook G4 12" and I love the thing to death. I can't get rid of it until there's a proper alternative.

I also have a 17" iMac Core Duo, and a Mac mini Core Duo. I use the mac mini and imac for rendering and what not... iMovie or any rendering operation on the Powerbook is pretty much suicide. At least for my purposes. I'm sure it would run if we forced it to, but the idea of making a movie on my 1.5ghz G4 is a hurtful one. Especially by today's standards, and what I *expect* my Mac to do.

And don't get me wrong, the notebook is my main machine. I rarely use the other two. The mini is a media-center Mac and the iMac is more of my sister's computer. But I wouldn't use my baby for video editing. It isn't cut out to do that anymore. And that isn't Apple's fault. I think it's more IBM's fault for not pumping out faster chips. Hence, the switch to Intel.

-Urby

:censored2: you Apple. I am not happy :):thumbsdown_anim: :thumbsdown_anim: :thumbsdown_anim:

Yes you are. If I ever see iMovie '08 again I swear to God I will throw someone against a wall. What a piece of shit, seriously.

I agree with EFI, iLife '08 is not as good as '06. Yeah, some of it looks flashier but if it was REALLY that good, then why did Apple have to post iMovie'06 as a free download? Yeah, like who out there does not feel like they just got screwed? Does Steve Jobs think that people will see how sucko iMovie '08 is and then buy Final Cut Express? Sounds more like a move from Microsoft. And why make the G4 obsolete? True, a G4 does not have th computing power of a Core 2 Duo but Apple is after all a hardware company. Face it, support for the PPC is sealed.

Well, now we know why iLife 08 is only almost half the size (3.6GB), of iLife 06 (6.2GB). The biggest filesize in iMovie 06 was from iMovie 6 HD only....kinda makes sense now.

Maybe Apple thought iMovie was just getting to good, and was starting to infringe on Final Cut's ground.

After all, Apple makes more on a copy of Final cut sold than a copy of iMovie.

Maybe they just decided they needed to make iMovie simpler and completely different from Final Cut?

BTW, it is possible to install iMovie '08 on a G4 (similar process to Front Row on any Mac) and it's not too slow on my 1.5ghz G4

And that isn't Apple's fault.

Yes it it.

In the "old" days ppl learned to program and optimise their code (there's this thing called assembly language). In fact there's one consumer OS out there that proves that even with modest computing power great things can be achieved (programmers-wise). Sure it'll take more time and more effort but that's their job!

I think it's more IBM's fault for not pumping out faster chips. Hence, the switch to Intel.

IBM had +4GHz processors at the time of the "switch". Therefore the switch to Intel-cpu's had everything to do about cutting costs vs. increasing profit and nothing about performance.

Wake Up!

Maybe Apple thought iMovie was just getting to good, and was starting to infringe on Final Cut's ground.

You know I think that is true. In a lot of ways iMovie 6 HD was like Final Cut's little brother. Lot of features in Final Cut are in iMovie...just in a more primitive form. But I'm starting to think Apple had that thought when they did this.

IBM had +4GHz processors at the time of the "switch". Therefore the switch to Intel-cpu's had everything to do about cutting costs vs. increasing profit and nothing about performance.

I think your mixing up the Power architecture from the Power PC one. Power PC was the consumer level desktop processor range...and could not reach even a 3.0Ghz limit. The Power architecture however, was designed for server clusters, and has tremendously more power than the desktop range. It is not viable nor cost efficient to fit those onto the modern desktop computer...let alone laptops (which even the G5's could not fit) due to the stress level of the processor, power consumption, etc. They are two different chips, designed completely for 2 seperate markets.

Yes it it.

In the "old" days ppl learned to program and optimise their code (there's this thing called assembly language). In fact there's one consumer OS out there that proves that even with modest computing power great things can be achieved (programmers-wise). Sure it'll take more time and more effort but that's their job!

Wake Up!

What are you talking about?

1) That plaform you speak of is not far off from Unix, which is what Mac OS X is, when all is said and done.

And if there is a computer company out there who knows how to properly code, it would be Apple. Take a look at what they are doing with Web 2.0 apps.

2) IBM may have had 4ghz processors, but those sure as hell weren't the ones that Apple could put in their computers, as afformentionned.

3) You take my statement that 'That isn't Apple's fault.' out of context completely. The statement alone is worthless. It's surrounding sentences make it what it is.

-Urby

I'm sorry to say it, but that's impossible. All the good features have been removed, and there's nothing added! You enjoy the fact that you paid for less features?

I'm sorry to say it, but that's impossible. All the good features have been removed, and there's nothing added! You enjoy the fact that you paid for less features?

i think your just talking about imovie, right? and i like the new interface

• 5 weeks later...