iWork08 and iLife08 require 10.4.10 - which upgrade works best?

rhalls

60 posts in this topic

I've used koolkal (which I'm still using) and pascalw. Both seem to work equally well. By that I mean all my software works and is stable and I never noticed a real life difference in speed. I don't guess we'll know for sure about iLife/iWork until some brave soul ventures out and buys it and reports back. How would you measure such a thing? Just asking?

What you need to edit is the info.plist (if I'm not mistaken) to access it, you would right click on the installer and click on "View Package Contents" then edit the info.plist with TextEdit or any text editor. I guess you would want to look for 10.4.9 or something. I dunno but I know you can edit it like so.

However, can you upgrade to 10.4.10 without SSE3? My CPU only supports SSE2

Thanks

I found a way to install iWork08 at OSX 10.4.9.

Copy the installation package contains in dmg to your disk.

Open "iWorkTrial.dist" with any text editor then you can find the verify functions for "QuickTime" and OSX version.

Simply replace the version string then done.

// QT is missing (how?) or version below 7.2

omg :)

"how" in terms question is really funny.

just to tell this work arround worked in my {censored} sse2 machine with older JaS 10.4.8

of you don't have QECI, in pages you must change with any text editor the the "default.plist" file inside the resources folder (this is an old trick for begars machine people and still works in pages 08) :P

<key>SFRAcceleratedCanvas</key>

<true/>

to

<key>SFRAcceleratedCanvas</key>

<false/>

pages 08 will works for you.

for numbers it's looks like keynote, i think there is no any way to make it works on older machines without qeci ennabled. If anyone found a way, please tell us.

can iLife08 run on JaS 10.4.8 ,or is there any trick to make it run ?

i`m pretty noob about that "<key>'n'<true/>" stuff ... but i can try ;)

thanks in advance

~R

can iLife08 run on JaS 10.4.8 ,or is there any trick to make it run ?

i`m pretty noob about that "<key>'n'<true/>" stuff ... but i can try :D

thanks in advance

~R

Just use Pacifist and click "install". That's it.. Btw, it works for me and i running in 10.4.9 :)

I have 10.4.6 (another update download in progress).

Everything seemed to work, "choose template" :( then BOOM - "The application Pages quit unexpectedly" :D

Any ideas? (I'm tired of trying to update again and again...)

If I had seen this thread I probably would have stayed at .9, but I upgraded to .10 last night. The installation kept failing. it turns out it was NTFS-3G that was making it fail. When I removed that it updated just fine, I installed iWork08 and it seems to work just fine now. No crashes yet anyway...

Please be careful.

I'm using 10.4.8 JaS, and I decided to install using Pacifist.

Because iWork claimed to require QuickTime 7.2, I decided to get that first, and install using Pacifist as well.

After completing the installation, most apps stopped working (Terminal, System Preferences, etc.). They would open for a couple of seconds, then close with a crash.

After a reboot, most of my menu items didn't load, and the Dock was crashing continuously, accompanied by erratic mouse motion and missed clicks.

Stack trace revealed that the error was in CoreAudio (!). I sshed in and promptly replaced all the frameworks newly installed by QuickTime 7.2 with older ones that I had in backup. This fixed the applications, but didn't help the Dock crashes.

Finally, opening Pages '08 for the first time repaired the Dock.

A final word of caution for those installing iWork using Pacifist: if you are like me, and your Applications folder is not on your boot volume, and /Applications is a symbolic link, you will find that Pacifist will overwrite your link with a new Applications folder, and will put iWork in it.

Hi, Can I get some what post #12 is actually saying? Rename to what/how?

This is great because the update screwed my beautiful prior install.

1. Extract all file using pacifist to certain folder.

2. Go to the folder and open "Package" folder.

3. You will find "iWork08.mpkg" file, right click and "Show Package Contents"

4. New finder window will pop up. Open "Contents" folder. You will find file "iWork.dist"

5. Open it with Text Editor.

6. Search function "hasOldSystem", and change "10.4.10" to your system version you currently have (e.g. 10.4.9).

7. Save. Then install the package.

It works for me. Hope it help.