Possible Nforce 3 UDMA Fix

148 posts in this topic

my disk score is now in the 40's.. but my CPU still scores in the low 9's.. i have no idea why an athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz would be scoring so low :lol:

still cant boot with X86OS option

well you know the reason already, you must boot with the x86pc option or the cpu performance is severely crippled.

I've your same cpu but is clocked at 2500 and i score around 40 while with the nforce3 ata driver the disk score is 66

try booting with platform=x86pc -f , if that fails login as root or sudo and try rebuilding the kextcache the command is kextcache -e , if that doesn't help try manually deleting the cache files

static const HardwareInfo hardwareTable[] =

{

{ 0x01bc10de, 5, "NVIDIA nForce"  },

{ 0x006510de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce2" },

{ 0x00d510de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce3" },

I compiled the project but I added a line for a nForce4, like this:

{ 0x005310de, 6, "NVIDIA nForce4" }

and also modified the Info.plist adding 0x00d510de to the list, replace the kext inside IOATAFamili.kext and works with my nForce 4 :D

I´ve replaced the file, and my system gained a MAJOR speed boost....

Until my second reboot :)

Know he hangs on IOATA part, dammit.

(I dont remember the msg right now, im working lol)

i dunno why, maybe someone can help.

Tks

and also modified the Info.plist adding 0x00d510de to the list, replace the kext inside IOATAFamili.kext and works with my nForce 4  :)

Weird, i´ve tried the same thing and got the "waiting for root device" error - could you post your kext?

I´ve replaced the file, and my system gained a MAJOR speed boost....

Until my second reboot :(

Know he hangs on IOATA part, dammit.

(I dont remember the msg right now, im working lol)

i dunno why, maybe someone can help.

Tks

I thought that repairing the permissions stopped it from working, but after some more testing I agree with you, one reboot and it stops working. It definitely seems to have something to do with the validity of the kext.. if you try to do a kextload on it OS X will warn you that it's not valid. So it may be some sort of permissions problem after all.

Update: output from kextcache -e:

tiger-x86:/System/Library/Extensions john$ sudo kextcache -e

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleStorageDrivers.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins

yall know that permissions are supposed to be 755 for directories and 644 for files right? and root wheel for owners

heres a handy set of commands to change permissions as they should be for the kexts

cd /Library/Preferences/Extensions

sudo -s

find * -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

find * -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

for groups you can also do

find * -exec chown root:wheel {} \;

(i cant remember if osx uses libexec in place of exec, try exec first)

i think that is all. please correct me if ive left something out or this is wrong <_< i dont have access to osx atm, this is from my sometimes faulty memory.

I thought that repairing the permissions stopped it from working, but after some more testing I agree with you, one reboot and it stops working. It definitely seems to have something to do with the validity of the kext.. if you try to do a kextload on it OS X will warn you that it's not valid. So it may be some sort of permissions problem after all.

Update: output from kextcache -e:

tiger-x86:/System/Library/Extensions john$ sudo kextcache -e

warning: kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleStorageDrivers.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions); skipping it and any plugins

Hey i found something.

"...has the right file permissions. You cannot load a kernel extensions with the wrong file permissions. If kextload prints a message saying that the KEXT is not authentic, you can fix the permissions using sudo chown -R root:wheel /file.kext"

I gonna try this out and reply later...

cya

Sorry I havent replied, been working 12 hour shifts saturday and sunday.

You dont need platform=x86pc. The reason that was speeding people up is that on certian boards it turned udma on.

Besides its never worked on my nforce 3 except in vmware.

Hey i found something.

"...has the right file permissions. You cannot load a kernel extensions with the wrong file permissions. If kextload prints a message saying that the KEXT is not authentic, you can fix the permissions using sudo chown -R root:wheel /file.kext"

I gonna try this out and reply later...

cya

I would be stunned if the "Repair Permissions" function of Disk Utility didn't do that exact thing, but I'll go in and do it manually in a second and let you guys know how it goes..

I would be stunned if the "Repair Permissions" function of Disk Utility didn't do that exact thing, but I'll go in and do it manually in a second and let you guys know how it goes..

Yeah I was sure to do a repair permissions in Disk Utility, so it should have done the same thing, but let us know how it goes.

I can get it to boot, but only when it goes through the full list of extensions, rather than trying to refer to its cache. The way to do that manually is to give the kernel the '-f' flag at boot. When I do that, everything works well.

So do u test the command that i wrote in previous post?

and also modified the Info.plist adding 0x00d510de to the list, replace the kext inside IOATAFamili.kext and works with my nForce 4  :)

maybe you post link on compiled binary kext?

Sorry I havent replied, been working 12 hour shifts saturday and sunday.

You dont need platform=x86pc. The reason that was speeding people up is that on certian boards it turned udma on.

Besides its never worked on my nforce 3 except in vmware.

Because in VMWare it uses AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and runs in DMA mode.

AppleOnboardPCATA.kext.tar.gz

Edited by macgirl

What seemed to work for me:

I opened up the package contents of the IOATAFamily.kext linked to previously in this post, and pulled out only the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext package. I put that into the IOATAFamily.kext package that is already in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Then I ran:

sudo chown -R root:wheel IOATAFamily.kext to make sure that every file in that package was on the same page. It seems to be booting fairly reliably now.

What seemed to work for me:

I opened up the package contents of the IOATAFamily.kext linked to previously in this post, and pulled out only the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext package. I put that into the IOATAFamily.kext package that is already in the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Then I ran:

sudo chown -R root:wheel IOATAFamily.kext to make sure that every file in that package was on the same page. It seems to be booting fairly reliably now.

Bikx86 How many times do you Reboot?

and what mobo do u have.

Many tks

:blink: