Looking for a good webhost...

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to help a friend set up her forums, since she's not all that "computer savvy". She's currently signed up with Yahoo Small Business hosting for about $10 a month, but the setup they have running over there is giving me a major headache. They make installing PHPbb a major hassle, and just when I think I've got everything running, I get up this morning and oops, Critical Error: Could not connect to the database. :blink: PHPMyAdmin is no longer working either, so they must have done something to the database overnight... And this is only the second day she's had this, I can't wait to see what other fun hassles Yahoo comes up with. Anyways, I wanted to ask here: have any of you found a good webhost that you have experience with and can recommend? I'd love to run a server on my own machine, but unfortunately that's not an option, so it's gonna have to be a shared host, preferrably in the $10-$20 a month range. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :)

I've been extremely happy with 1and1.com I have been with them for 5 or six years and no complaints. They offer a "Click-n-Build" solution that makes it easy to set up stuff like you are talking about. They have phpBB availible to install.

I have had some exp with different hosting companys. Its really all up to what you want and need.

webhostingbuzz.com is a joke of a site, I had them for 2 years and they are up and down, lockups all the time not to mention their support

Dreamhost.com is good but they over load their servers a bit, but they give you quite a bit of space and bandwidth.

1and1.com my current host is good, I really like them, its a bit different from others they are fast servers and dont seem to over load as much.

hostgator.com is good as well, they seem to have very quick speeds and not to much down time.

Yahoo is a joke and I have had many friends which away from them.

for me 1and1.com is best because of the pay options, I have the business package and I only have to pay every 3 months instead of paying it all up front.

hope this helps

dice

I switched to byethost after Dicenet here deleted my site. Without letting me know too. Anyway Dreamhost was really slow.

Byethost seems like a nice hosting. Fast servers, good service. No downtime, but then I have had them only for a month.

@Dicenet - Dont worry about it, site needed a redesign anyways.

I didnt delete anything, another person that was using my account as well put a spoof site of paypal up as a joke to his friends. They kicked my account. All of my 13 Websites were deleted. Thats why you were "deleted," it was not my fault. sorry for the problems but honestly I lost much much more than anyone because of this.

dice

PS. Dreamhost is slow