using bios to dual

5 posts in this topic

i just built my new hackintosh (see sig.). i had two 250gb sata drives and the plan was to create a master boot record on each drive one for mac os and one for vista, and change the boot order in bios on my (again see sig.) d975xbx2.

i first got mac os installed 100% working and then got vista installed and 100% working (kind of funny that it took more work to get vista working due to problems with raid drivers lol). durring setup since i use identical drives i only had one connected at a time, now when i plug them both in it boots windows no matter what order i select in bios. i really wanted to avoid using a 3rd party boot manager (aka acronis) because on my last hacintosh it killed the boot record and killed my install. i am looking for the most stability and i will spend about 95% of my time in mac os and use parallels to run windows off the second drive.

does any one know why this method didnt quite work like planned? now what should i do? i would like to not have to reinstall the os'es

oh and if i unplug the drive (ie. the os i dont want to boot to) it boots no problem to the native os on the drive.

thanks

Do you by any chance have a USB drive plugged in? On two of my computers if I leave a USB pen drive plugged in, it ignores my choices for boot order in bios.

I know it's a long shot, but my only experience with bios not booting from the drive you selected.

i just built my new hackintosh (see sig.). i had two 250gb sata drives and the plan was to create a master boot record on each drive one for mac os and one for vista, and change the boot order in bios on my (again see sig.) d975xbx2.

now when i plug them both in it boots windows no matter what order i select in bios

and if you swap the sata cables on the drives, does OSX always boot?