HSF+ Partition Error

2 posts in this topic

I'm new to this whole dual booting thing and just starting messing around with trying to get OSX running on my lappy. I had my old hard drive just sitting around after I upgraded so I pulled it out and started playing around with it. I got OSX installed on it and everything was working great until I then installed WinXP onto a new partition on that hdd and now when I try to boot into OSX I just instantly get a message saying "HSF+ Partition Error" and I have to reboot. Seeing as I dont really know much about dual booting and this sort of thing, and I wasn't really following any guides, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to fix this error and be able to boot into OSX again or whether I'll just have to actually follow a guide and do this a little more intelligently. =) Thanks for any advice!

• 2 years later...
I'm new to this whole dual booting thing and just starting messing around with trying to get OSX running on my lappy. I had my old hard drive just sitting around after I upgraded so I pulled it out and started playing around with it. I got OSX installed on it and everything was working great until I then installed WinXP onto a new partition on that hdd and now when I try to boot into OSX I just instantly get a message saying "HSF+ Partition Error" and I have to reboot. Seeing as I dont really know much about dual booting and this sort of thing, and I wasn't really following any guides, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to fix this error and be able to boot into OSX again or whether I'll just have to actually follow a guide and do this a little more intelligently. =) Thanks for any advice!

There is a easier way I used, that worked with Windows 7, and I'm sure it will work with Vista and XP. I had an old Ubuntu CD laying around, or you could download Gparted live from sourceforge, change the boot flags so they boot to your windows partition, then restart and windows should reboot, then download EasyBCD. Goto the "Diagnostics Center" pane, then click "Repair OS C HFS+ Partition Error". Click attempt recovery and follow the instrutions, then add a Mac OS X entry.

You may find that both os's work fine but the os x welcome screen keeps on looping. To fix this, reboot, press F8, select your OS X partition and type -s.

When prompted, type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

passwd root

Then type a new password for your admin account twice and then type exit. It will then take you to the OS X logon screen. Type root as the username and the password that u just typed and logon nd make an account for yourself from system preferences in the dock.

If you need anymore help, or anymore questions just reply.