Why does the iPhone suck so much?

CLiDE FTW!!1

29 posts in this topic

Why is it assumed that all products should be a perfect fit for every situation?

Apple products have always filled niche markets. For people like me that aren't a real fan of cell phones, the iPhone makes a compelling case. Enough features I would use, yet easy to use, and wireless fits the bill. For hardcore cell users it might not be enough lacking bluetooth or 3G.

Maybe a future model will target other users more?

As long as I can call, read SMS'es, check my mail and listen to music. I am happy. If it fits in one small nice device, I am absolutely delighted. Seriously thats all I want, and I believe the iPhone delivers in that context. Very well too. The only thing I find is only 8GB of space.

I need atleast 20. More if I am gonna see movies.

How about the lack of flash, the very crippled battery life or the (AT&T's problem) slow EDGE network?

lack of battery, it has a WAY better battery life than the blackjack, i havent plugged the thing into my comp for about a week now and it has plenty of battery left.

How about the lack of flash, the very crippled battery life or the (AT&T's problem) slow EDGE network?

Are you referring to the misleading lawsuit about the battery and 200 recharges?

Frankly, at the rates we are currently forced to pay in Canada for data access, how practical is any phone with high data demands anyways?

Either you're loaded or I can't see playing flash videos over any cell network here anyways.

Flash - My W810i has a flash, and that thing does not even come close to a real flash. Most Flashes on phones are pathetic.

Battery Life - If it lasts for 12 Hours I am happy, coz I go home and plug it in. If you need more, carry one of those battery life extenders

EDGE - AT&T just wants to rip you off. Here in India, I get free EDGE (no monthly rentals) and I get charged 0.0025 USD for 5KB of data browsed. Most sites take approx 5-6 secs to load, in Opera Mini. Normally if my usage of DATA is very low, which it normally is, they don't even charge me for it.

Flash - My W810i has a flash, and that thing does not even come close to a real flash. Most Flashes on phones are pathetic.

Well, you're comparing phones aren't in the same league...

My Blackberry, however, runs Flash quite nicely in Opera Mini.

Battery Life - If it lasts for 12 Hours I am happy, coz I go home and plug it in. If you need more, carry one of those battery life extenders

Who's getting 12 hours? Alot of people that I've been talking to have been getting barely 8 hours (most cases a couple hours of phone use, and NOT using other features). This is unacceptable for any device.

Are you referring to the misleading lawsuit about the battery and 200 recharges?

No, the battery charge is {censored} poor to begin with. However, if you buy an Apple Care Protection Plan, you get a free battery out of it, anyways.

Frankly, at the rates we are currently forced to pay in Canada for data access, how practical is any phone with high data demands anyways?

Either you're loaded or I can't see playing flash videos over any cell network here anyways.

EDGE (or wireless data) wasn't really that cheap in the States until Apple negotiated with AT&T for the iPhone. Why else do you think Verizon rejected the iPhone?

Apple is negotiating on unlimited data rates with Rogers in Canada, otherwise Apple wouldn't release the iPhone here because without unlimited data you wouldn't get the whole "iPhone experience".

Me thinks CLiDE is jealous :D

;) ;) :D YOU FIGURED ME OUT!

No, but really, I love the touch screen, and the interface is fluid. But TBH iPhone doesn't bring anything new to the table. (especially not a $600 + 2 year contract table)

;) ;) :censored2: YOU FIGURED ME OUT!

No, but really, I love the touch screen, and the interface is fluid. But TBH iPhone doesn't bring anything new to the table. (especially not a $600 + 2 year contract table)

ive had it for a couple of weeks now and i am very pleased, of course it has areas it could improve but doesn't everything have that? The battery isn't great but i have a car charger and the charger that comes with the phone is very small anyways so its not a big deal to carry with you. Especially if you are a girl(which i am not) and have a purse with you its not a big deal to carry with you. And the whole complaint about EDGE network being slow are just nitpicky. For me here is San Diego the speed is fair and it doesnt bother that it takes a few seconds for a page to load. I dont expect to be blazing....

Overall it is worth every penny of the $500 i spent on it......

I thought you were referring to Flash as in the Camera Flash. But Macromedia Flash inclusion would have been great

8 Hrs is bad, really bad. I am normally out for around 12 - 13 hrs, but my V3xx lasts for 2 Days easy.

I find it lasts an entire day of full use.

Yesterday, I started at 7 am with a full charge, used the internet almost non-stop...or atleast for a few hours in total (I was at a seminar), and the phone had not died before I got back to charge it at 10:00.

If I am not going to be at my computer for a day to sync/charge it, I will at least be in my car.

• 2 weeks later...

multitouch, visual voicemail, and a cellphone UI that's not frustrating to use aren't "anything new"?

i mean, you can argue that it's not worth the price for you, but to say that the iphone brings absolutely nothing to the table isn't accurate at all.

Apple is negotiating on unlimited data rates with Rogers in Canada, otherwise Apple wouldn't release the iPhone here because without unlimited data you wouldn't get the whole "iPhone experience".

If that ends up being true, then I'd considered it. (short comings and all)

multitouch, visual voicemail, and a cellphone UI that's not frustrating to use aren't "anything new"?

i mean, you can argue that it's not worth the price for you, but to say that the iphone brings absolutely nothing to the table isn't accurate at all.

It's all been done before... and visual voicemail is NOT new(http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/2007/6/2007-6-28-Visual-Voice-Mail.html)

Nor is the UI anymore simpler than the Blackberry... in fact, people call into Apple all the time and complain about how difficult it is to set up e-mail on the iPhone.

It's all been done before...

In an all inclusive package?

Technically that is true but does it matter who had single features first? (Or just things useful for pissing matches when someone says new.)

The Blackberry 8800 had beta Visual Voice Mail since late 2006, but only recently did Mobile Windows based devices get it, so

for the majority of the population this is a new feature regardless of what device it is or who makes it.

(Apparently on Windows based devices its a battery killer)

Nor is the UI anymore simpler than the Blackberry...

Simpler is always debatable and subjective. Fact is a touch screen is easy for SOME people, for other's it's a slow down.

in fact, people call into Apple all the time and complain about how difficult it is to set up e-mail on the iPhone.

Hardly proves anything. Are you suggesting people don't ever have problems with other devices and call for support also?

It's also pretty hard to qualify points like that. How many of these users are absolutely new users?

Looking at the Apple forums some of the comments suggest some users have zero cell phone or computer experience. Chances are equally high they would have problems on any other device.

Is the iPhone perfect, no. Is any phone perfect, no. Is Apple the first to implement every feature, no.

Have they made an device that has a collection of fairly new features that suit many people, yes. Does it fit everyone, no.

If not having the features you want, or not being a Blackberry is the criteria for making it suck, then I guess it sucks, albeit loaded with hyperbole. ;)

I would never pay that price for a phone alone, but the iPod functionality does make it intriguing.

I haven't check a lot of phones, but from what I have, I haven't seen a media player as slick as the iPod functionality in the iPhone.

• 2 weeks later...