Power Mac G5 Full Set

powerjo

10 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Here is my DIY PowerMac G5 (case) with 23" Cinema Display, Apple Keyboard + Wireless Mighty Mouse.

For the outlook, it just 100% same as PowerMac G5. Also, installed the Frontrow and can be accessed by the apple remote for controlling itunes, DVD player and iPhoto. It can dual boot with XP while PPC cannot. :P

Actually, the case, monitor, KB and might mouse (the wireless one bought last year) had been bought for nearly 2 years. I only installed XP as a normal PC before. Installed OSx86 in the past when the version was still 10.4.1. Due to the unstability especially the drivers, I gave up the OSx86. Nevertheless, I found that the newer version was still being developed. So, I tried again the OSx86 version 10.4.7. It seems to be much more mature than before. Now I am using version 10.4.8. Everything works fine! :wacko:

Also, I found the most easiest way for dual booting OSX and XP. Just use a software "Acronis OS Selector" which is a tiny software bundled with "Acronis Disk Director". The way to install both OSX and XP is as following:

(I will skip all the steps of how to install OSX and XP, you can simple find a lot of posts inside this site ;) )

1. Use 2 sperate HDs (nowaday, HD price already dropped to the bottom line, I think there is none would be mind to buy 2 or above hard drives for installing 2 OS :censored2: )

2. Install either OSX or XP to your PC (don't plug the other while installing the first OS)

3. Install the other OS (unplug the first OS Hard drive)

4. OK, now go into the Windows XP and install Acronis Disk Director and enable the Acronis OS Selector.

5. Switch off the computer and plug BOTH of the 2 hard drives and choose the first boot to the WinXP's hard drive.

6. Simply, you will get the boot menu created by Acronis OS selector and only that the OSX cannot be recongized. It only shows Unknown OS. But it is not important because you still can get into it with zero problem. Also, you can rename it by yourself inside the Windows environment and or just rename it in the boot menu directly.

7. Enjoy ! :):D

post-94734-1185989567_thumb.jpg

post-94734-1185989754_thumb.jpg

post-94734-1185989772_thumb.jpg

post-94734-1185989785_thumb.jpg

post-94734-1185989798_thumb.jpg

Hi,

What sort of adapter did you use for your powermac g5 hackintosh? I believe these remotes use infra-red, and I want to know which adapter you used for the least amount of problems.

Thanks

@SpeedfreaK do you see green arrow in the right upper corner of the screen ? try to click it ...

@powerjo nice setup ,but put case on something because of dust.it`s not good for case to be on floor ...

~R

@SpeedfreaK do you see green arrow in the right upper corner of the screen ? try to click it ...@powerjo nice setup ,but put case on something because of dust.it`s not good for case to be on floor ...~R
:P Thanks for your remind, Rzk.Don't worry about that because I always clean up my room and also the insider of the case~ :)
how did you get the nice acronis os selector menu? i have that program too, but it's just a ugly window with a menu bar and my 2 OS
Yes, just simply click the icon for "full screen" at the booting time.Or set to full screen in the windows mode. There are some more options for you to set the resolution as well. :)

i don't find a green arrow in the right upper corner of my screen when i boot acronis boot selector and i don't find a full screen icon (i suppose you don't mean the maximize icon of the ugly window) and in the display options i can only change the resolution, color depth and the frequency.

Powerjo, What is the model number for the MCE IR Adapter ? pictures?What Bluetooth adapter did you use to connect the wireless mouse and keyboard?Great Job ! Looks Great !thanks.
Hi MacPack,As far as I know, there is only one model for MS MCE IR + remote set. BTW, pls take a look at the photos I took for you. I only use the IR receiver to work with Apple remote (for enabling Frontrow). Of course, the MCE remote still works fine if you use MCE2005 or Vista Home Premium. Hope can help you. :) Bluetooth adapter, I only took out from my drawer which I bought over 2 years. Thanks to the USB hub built-in behind the Cinema display, I plug my ugly Bluetooth adapter at the back of the monitor. :P
i don't find a green arrow in the right upper corner of my screen when i boot acronis boot selector and i don't find a full screen icon (i suppose you don't mean the maximize icon of the ugly window) and in the display options i can only change the resolution, color depth and the frequency.
Hi Speedfreak,Can you see there is a tool bar with lots of icons on the top in the Boot Screen (the OS selection screen) ?If you can't find the icon with a green arrow which Rzk mentioned, then can you see there is a small triangle in the very right of all the icons? Maybe there are still some icons which cannot be displayed. Just click on it, you'll get the "Full Screen" icon.Cheers. :P

post-94734-1186113185_thumb.jpg

post-94734-1186113195_thumb.jpg

post-94734-1186113206_thumb.jpg

post-94734-1186113216_thumb.jpg