G33 GMA 3x00 onboard video - Does it work ?

twophive

44 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

Could someone please PM me a confirmation if the X3100 works or not on desktops. Laptop users are having an issue with it not recognizing the internal display. The only way to get it working is to hook up an external monitor. Curious to see if there are any weird glitches on the desktop side.

Could someone please PM me a confirmation if the X3100 works or not on desktops. Laptop users are having an issue with it not recognizing the internal display. The only way to get it working is to hook up an external monitor. Curious to see if there are any weird glitches on the desktop side.

I couldn't find one. Although ppl are using laptops with external displays no problem.

Anyway, twophive if it doesn't work, then you can get a 7300LE or something cheap..

So far I havent got it to work, devid on my card is 0x29c2 (Bearlake integrated)

I tried to add that to X3100FB kext but it still doesnt work, X3100 and X3100FB kext do show up in systemprofiler/extensions thou, but Graphic/Displays says "No kext loaded"

I got a GA-G31MX-S2 btw

I'm sad to say the same thing as delish... it doesn't work... i get this insystem profiler (in french sorry):

Type : Moniteur

Bus : Intégré

VRAM (totale) : 64 Mo de mémoire système partagée

Fournisseur : Intel (0x8086)

Identifiant du périphérique : 0x29c2

Identifiant de révision : 0x0002

Informations sur l’extension du noyau : Aucune kext n’est chargée

So no kext loaded. I've seen in the x3100 plist that 0*00008086 was there but i dion't know exactly where to put the id, any idea?

i'm using a GA-G33M-DS2R motherboard. I've tried to forec loading the kext, by kextload, terminal said kext seems to be loadable and then not loaded :unsure:

The problem is that your board has a GMA 3100, which is VERY different from the X3100. X3100 has hardware T&L, different shader version support.....pretty much everything. The GMA 3100 is actually closer to the GMA950, specs and performance-wise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA

I've been looking for a desktop motherboard that has the GMA X3100, but so far have come up empty. I find LOTS of mobo's that say they have a X3100, but upon looking closer at the specs at the manufacturer website, I always find that the board actually has a GMA 3100. This isn't surprising, since the X3100 is defined as "the mobile version" of the X3000, and no mac so far has an X3000 either. (Though the mac mini may eventually have one).

Anyways, I've been looking for the same thing, but unfortunately there's no motherboard I know of that currently has an X3100, so anyone looking for a X3100 like I am is probably out of luck.

EDIT: Correcting myself. It seems that these ones MAY have an X3100.

http://minipc.aopen.com/Global/spec.htm

Their specs match up with an X3100 (GM965 chipset, which should be using the X3100, unlike the G33, which uses the GMA3100.) Unfortunately, when I went to look for verification, their detailed spec sheet points lists it as GMA3100, though all of the other specs (bus speed, chipset) point to it being an X3100. Is it really that hard for system manufacturers to avoid this confusion and list their specs correctly?!!?!?

EDIT again: Same deal with this board, though the specs they list point more the the GMA3100.

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec....5&class=ipc

However, Intel is very clear that the GM965 chipset is paired with the X3100. I'm starting to wonder if either intels docs are horrible, or if the system sellers only have a vague concept of what they're buying.

The only GMA X-series chip (that being the new one with unified shaders and a completely different architecture to previous GMAs) available on a desktop platform now is the X3000, which is part of G965. X3000 may work with the X3100 kexts, I don't know - it should be the same architecture, at least, although Intel claim X3000 (G965) will not support Shader Model 4.0, which X3100 (GM965) will. I don't know if that means there are substantial architectural differences or if it's just a software enforced limitation to encourage uptake of G35 (when it finally reaches retail.) It's a fairly moot point to Windows users, as DX10 shader model 4.0 apps would be far too slow on X3100 from what we've seen so far of it's performance anyway.

G31 and G33 use GMA 3xxx (not no 'X') which is just a GMA950 with some video processing features added and clockspeed increased. Again, I don't know if this means that the GMA950 kexts could be coaxed into working on them, but it's certainly worth looking into.

G35 will use GMA X3500, which also might work with the X3100 kexts. We'll have to wait and see.

Intel shouldn't have used such similar terminology for completely different architectures; it's resulted in a lot of confusion, not only in the OSX86 community.

The only GMA X-series chip (that being the new one with unified shaders and a completely different architecture to previous GMAs) available on a desktop platform now is the X3000, which is part of G965. X3000 may work with the X3100 kexts, I don't know - it should be the same architecture, at least, although Intel claim X3000 (G965) will not support Shader Model 4.0, which X3100 (GM965) will. I don't know if that means there are substantial architectural differences or if it's just a software enforced limitation to encourage uptake of G35 (when it finally reaches retail.)

Actually, there are two "desktop" mini PCs listed above that I am fairly sure have an X3100. They have the correct chipset (GM965), and as further "proof", they use mobile chips (socket P) rather than desktop chips. So apparently these company took desktop platforms and stuck them into a small-form-factor desktop.

I'd be curious to see if the X3100 driver works with the X3000. I really wouldn't be surprised either way if it did or didn't work. They're similar, but there are some differences.

I have no idea why Intel chose to make so many different version of their integrated graphics chipsets, or give them such obnoxiously similar names. The substantial differences I see that could cause incompatibility are the clock speed (667 vs 500/400), and shader models. I guess it depends if Apple's drivers make calls to the graphics driver that utilize the version-4.0 features (though I'm guessing they probably don't)

Well I did say a desktop platform. That, of course, excludes any desktops using a mobile platform, like those mini-PCs and machines like the iMac + Mac mini :wacko:

Well, I got a good deal on a GMA X3000 desktop system, so I guess I'll be finding out in a few days....

• 1 month later...

i have a asus p5k-vm witha a gma3100

i was actually 100% shure it was a X3100 when i bought it (bought it to use as hackintosh)

now i a m a little pissed to say the least

why didnt they call it a gma 970 or something

are there any news on getting this thing to work ?

did anyone try the gma950 drivers ?