Input Remapper 1.0.04 Release

Beliyaal

42 posts in this topic

Input Remapper 1.0.04 has been released!

2007-07-29 - Version 1.0.04 Release

* Added: Onscreen notifications for brightness, volume and eject.

* Added: MacBook Keyboard Wizard now renamed to Settings, and saves the previous settings.

* Added: Apple keyboard drivers are automatically uninstalled when running setup.

* Added: Direct control of volume and mute (other applications can no longer steal the input).

* Added: Fan control now possible on Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

* Fixed: Santa Rosa MacBook Pro support added.

* Fixed: fn-Eject can now be bound to eject through keyboard settigs dialog.

* Fixed: Some issues with driver updated warning dialog fixed.

* Fixed: Issues with saving when binding keys fixed.

* Fixed: Brightness and volmue are now scaled by the repeat rate when holding the buttons down.

* Note: Should not be used together with another tool that uses the SMC such as MacBook Tray Tools or apple keyboard drivers because of conflicts with accessing the SMC at the same time.

* Note: Automatic dimming is not perfect and needs some delays and tweaks in a future version.

* Note: Apple keyboard drivers are automatically uninstalled.

* Note: If screen brightness and keyboard backlight controls seems to not be working try holding the keys down longer.

Keys bound on MacBook Pro

* The default keypad like in OSX. This includes num-lock functionality

* fn+Left Click = Right Click

* fn+Backspace = Delete

* fn+Eject = PrintScreen

* fn+F1 = Decrease Brightness

* fn+F2 = Increase Brightness

* fn+F3 = Toggle Mute

* fn+F4 = Decrease Volume

* fn+F5 = Increase Volume

* fn+F6 = Toggle Num-Lock

* fn+F8 = Toggle Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F9 = Decrease Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F10 = Increase Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F11 = Media Play

* fn+F12 = Media Stop

* fn+Up = Page Up

* fn+Down = Page Down

* fn+Left = Home

* fn+Right = End

* fn+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace = Ctrl+Alt+Delete

* Eject = Eject all optical discs

* Enter = Right Click

Please start separate threads for new bugs. Try to search for old bugs and add information to the old thread when possible. Feature requests go into this thread. Thanks!

InputRemapper_1_0_04_Release.exe

My experience using InputRemapper 1.04 with a MacBook Pro Santa Rosa 2.4Gb Nvidia 8600m GT 256Ram:

OK * Added: Onscreen notifications for volume and eject.

NOT WORKING * Added: Onscreen notifications for brightness.

OK * Added: Apple keyboard drivers are automatically uninstalled when running setup.

OK * Added: Direct control of volume and mute (other applications can no longer steal the input).

OK * Note: Apple keyboard drivers are automatically uninstalled.

OK * fn+Left Click = Right Click

NOT WORKING * fn+Backspace = Delete

OK * fn+Eject = PrintScreen

NOT WORKING * fn+F1 = Decrease Brightness

NOT WORKING * fn+F2 = Increase Brightness

OK * fn+F3 = Toggle Mute

OK * fn+F4 = Decrease Volume

OK * fn+F5 = Increase Volume

OK * fn+F6 = Toggle Num-Lock

NOT WORKING * fn+F8 = Toggle Keyboard Backlight

NOT WORKING * fn+F9 = Decrease Keyboard Backlight

NOT WORKING * fn+F10 = Increase Keyboard Backlight

OK * fn+F11 = Media Play

OK * fn+F12 = Media Stop

OK * fn+Up = Page Up

OK * fn+Down = Page Down

NOT WORKING * fn+Left = Home

OK * fn+Right = End

NOT WORKING * fn+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace = Ctrl+Alt+Delete

OK * Eject = Eject all optical discs

And, the resources tab I/O Range is 0300 - 031F for the Apple SMC device

--------

These issues should be fixed now. And the screen backlight and fan control should be working on non pro MacBooks also.

I didn't create a new version so just download the 1.0.04 again to get the fixes.

Let me know if Santa Rosa works as expected now.

Greetings. I have a newly purchased MBP15. I installed BootCamp 1.3, then vista64.

I proceeded to install the atheros network driver, which allowed me access to the net, whcih in turn installed a series of automatic driver updates.

I then installed the first version of 1.0.0.4, and noticed many of the problems reported by the previous poster.

So, I went back here to report, then saw it was updated. I proceeded to install the update, and most functions now work except for the backlight for both LCD and Keyboard, but most importantly, the _fans_ do not work.

I disabled driver signing and installed again, but still no luck.

I don't suppose there's any way you could enable fan-control for x64? Or have suggestions as to somewhere i can attain a utility that will allow it?

I don't suppose there's any way you could enable fan-control for x64? Or have suggestions as to somewhere i can attain a utility that will allow it?

I have uploaded a new version (Download 1.0.04 again) that supports SMC functions even if apple MacHALDriver isn't installed by BootCamp. This will allow you to control the fans and keyboard backlight. Also it should now work on other macs to control the fans. I have tried it on a Mac Pro on Vista 64 and you can control the first two fans (there are four). I will release a new version later that supports changing any number of fans the computer supports.

You won't be able to control the screen backlight on 64 bit windows unless apple release bootcamp that supports it or someone sends me an Sant Rosa Mac Book Pro :worried_anim:

My experience using

THE NEW DOWNLOAD (the 3'rd)

of InputRemapper 1.04 with a MacBook Pro Santa Rosa 2.4Gb Nvidia 8600m GT 256Ram:

OK * Added: Onscreen notifications for volume, brightness, keyboard backlight and eject.

OK * Added: Apple keyboard drivers are automatically uninstalled when running setup.

OK * Added: Direct control of volume and mute (other applications can no longer steal the input).

OK * Note: Apple keyboard drivers are automatically uninstalled.

OK * fn+Left Click = Right Click

OK * fn+Backspace = Delete

OK * fn+Eject = PrintScreen

OK * fn+F1 = Decrease Brightness

OK * fn+F2 = Increase Brightness

OK * fn+F3 = Toggle Mute

OK * fn+F4 = Decrease Volume

OK * fn+F5 = Increase Volume

OK * fn+F6 = Toggle Num-Lock

OK * fn+F8 = Toggle Keyboard Backlight

OK * fn+F9 = Decrease Keyboard Backlight

OK * fn+F10 = Increase Keyboard Backlight

OK * fn+F11 = Media Play

OK * fn+F12 = Media Stop

OK * fn+Up = Page Up

OK * fn+Down = Page Down

OK * fn+Left = Home

OK * fn+Right = End

OK * fn+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace = Ctrl+Alt+Delete

OK * Eject = Eject all optical discs

The fan control works!!!

So, I am VERY PLEASED with this version!!!!!!!

--

Very well done.

The two points you noted (secondary fans and the Backlight) are indeed not working, and that's fine (though i really look forward to being able to use the other fans).

I'm no longer experiencing 70 degrees C at idle, so that's great :censored2: maybe i won't open this thing up to reapply thermal compound after all!

Thanks for all the great work. My recommendations for the future would be the addition of hotkeys and a visual interface for controlling the fan (perhaps increasing/decreasing them by 500 points at a time (12 steps) or so..)..

Yeah, this great. Thanks again!

This works great so thank you very much!

Personally I would love to see an option to use the function keys without "fn" just like in OSX so i can adjust the volume with just F4 and F5 and not fn+F4 and fn+F5.

I use these keys way more than F1, F2, etc.

(Sorry, realised I maybe shouldn't have posted this in a sticky)

I may be a little slow.... This program seems great, it comes well recommended, I'm looking forward to using it, but how the hell do you download it????

I can't find a download button anywhere (this after trying 3 different pairs of glasses, drinking lots of coffee and asking others if they can see it.

I may be a little slow.... This program seems great, it comes well recommended, I'm looking forward to using it, but how the hell do you download it????

I can't find a download button anywhere (this after trying 3 different pairs of glasses, drinking lots of coffee and asking others if they can see it.

As in the first post here it is again:

InputRemapper_1_0_04_Release.exe

This is the best app ever for a MacBook Pro in Windows, I was running 1.0.03 for a while but the minor annoyances was irratating (still great nonetheless since it was better than Apple's ghetto drivers). The key remapper is a life saver, I'm a shortcut key fiend and having my ctrl-fn-windows-atl combination back where they are is just heaven!

Thank you again!

I love the program but my settings are never saved. I click the ok button when I am done but everytime I reboot, the program comes up again and my previous settings were not saved. Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know.

(1) I <3 InputRemapper.

(2) The new version installer hangs when trying to uninstall the Apple Keyboard drivers (a good feature, btw, since I just spent an hour removing them with the new Bootcamp 1.4). Is there a way to bypass this feature during the install?

(This is on "old" MacBook Pro.)

(1) I <3 InputRemapper.

(2) The new version installer hangs when trying to uninstall the Apple Keyboard drivers (a good feature, btw, since I just spent an hour removing them with the new Bootcamp 1.4). Is there a way to bypass this feature during the install?

(This is on "old" MacBook Pro.)

You could try killing InputRemapper.x86.exe (InputRemapper.x64.exe on 64 bit OS) with task manager when it hangs.

Great tool, thanks for the new release!

Some feedback from me:

* while installing the new version, i got an error that InputRemapper.x86.exe couldn't be overwritten. At closer look I've noticed that the process was still running. it wasn't possible to get rid of it by killing it with the task manager, neither by trying to stop the input remapper service. in the end only renaming the old .exe file and clicking "retry" on helped. this never happened with previous inputremapper versions.

* I got hooked on the mouse wheel acceleration feature, however it seems to accelerate the two-finger trackpad scrolling as well, which is not wanted. Makes the trackpad scrolling erratic and way too fast. Is there any way to make it work with wheel only?

* Fan control saves my laps from getting burned (and i believe the hardware from melting under xp), simply essential, thanks! It seems that I can only set the min. fan speed. I wish there would be a way to configure a response curve for the min fan speed depending on current cpu temperature, so i wouldn't need to open the panel every time in hot days to raise the min. fan speed up to >3000 and revert it when the environment is cold while constantly spinning fans start getting on my nerves. I'd expect the macbook firmware to do it automatically, but it seems to kick in far too late and too lame.

* I can see the pretty screen overlays while changing the brightness of the screen or keyboard backlight... however i don't see any overlay when changing volume or mute. any idea?

Thx!

Dmitri

* while installing the new version, i got an error that InputRemapper.x86.exe couldn't be overwritten. At closer look I've noticed that the process was still running. it wasn't possible to get rid of it by killing it with the task manager, neither by trying to stop the input remapper service. in the end only renaming the old .exe file and clicking "retry" on helped. this never happened with previous inputremapper versions.

I have not seen this before, probably a driver that Input Remapper was connected to hung. Not much I can do about it unless it's reproducible.

* I got hooked on the mouse wheel acceleration feature, however it seems to accelerate the two-finger trackpad scrolling as well, which is not wanted. Makes the trackpad scrolling erratic and way too fast. Is there any way to make it work with wheel only?

Not right now, you can create a key sequance to change configurations however, that you could execute to change them quickly. I have plans to add support for settings and remappings for seperate hardware IDs.

* Fan control saves my laps from getting burned (and i believe the hardware from melting under xp), simply essential, thanks! It seems that I can only set the min. fan speed. I wish there would be a way to configure a response curve for the min fan speed depending on current cpu temperature, so i wouldn't need to open the panel every time in hot days to raise the min. fan speed up to >3000 and revert it when the environment is cold while constantly spinning fans start getting on my nerves. I'd expect the macbook firmware to do it automatically, but it seems to kick in far too late and too lame.

I'm not keen of the idea of starting to change the fan speed explicitly because if I did anything wrong it might be dangerous for the hardware. Right now I only set a value in the SMC that tells it the lowest fan speed, and the SMC takes care of everything else.

* I can see the pretty screen overlays while changing the brightness of the screen or keyboard backlight... however i don't see any overlay when changing volume or mute. any idea?

Propably you just need to run the keyboard settings dialog again and press ok. This is because the volume bindings have changed from emulating keyboard keys to acutally setting the volume.

hi beliyaal!

running keyboard settings is resetting my custom keymapping configuration, so I changed the mapping of volume controls and it works now, thanks!

I'm not keen of the idea of starting to change the fan speed explicitly because if I did anything wrong it might be dangerous for the hardware. Right now I only set a value in the SMC that tells it the lowest fan speed, and the SMC takes care of everything else.

Current fan speed doesn't need to be set explicitly, but the minimum speed could be raisen to the configurable vaue if the CPU temperature exceeds certain mark for certain amount of time. Even better is to be able to specify multiple marks. Just an idea, I found it would be extremely useful for myself.

Thanks again for the great tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i just upgraded to 1.0.04 from 1.0.03. I and now have a problem with the double quote char ¨.

As you can see it comes out looking very skinny and funny.

I have a mac book pro running vista with keyboard set up English United kingdom.

In the previous version of remapper the double quote came out ok but was mapped to the 2@ key (as expected) now thats an @ as it says on the key and the ¨ is mapped to the key that actually says ¨

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi,

Is Input Remapper 1.0.04 working with a MBP santa rosa with FRENCH keyboard? and if not can I use a french mapping keyboard?

I have some problems using apple keyboard driver with boot camp 1.3... some keys give me little numbers instead of letters like U,I,O,P....

LoloB

• 2 weeks later...

I have installed Input Remapper according to the instructions found at http://forums.parallels.com/thread15835.html. It worked great after my first reboot, but every time I reboot after that, I get a BSOD until I uninstall Input Remapper.The dump looks like this (from WinDBG - loading the memory dump):

EDIT: I don't know what happened when I posted that...I'll post the real backtrace again later

I have a full memory crash dump, if that helps (and if there is somewhere that I can upload it if you need it).

I really liked what I saw for the short time that I was able to use it...I hope this gets addressed :D

I didn't mention that it's actually installed within parallels - on an MBP