thestevo 775Dual-VSTA v2.1 patch

thestevo

81 posts in this topic

Hi thestevo,

I have been using an 775-Dual-VSTA for a while now with MacOS (started with JaS 10.4.8, upgraded to 10.4.9 manually) and have been plagued by the computer often hanging and needing a restart. It normally happens with one application freezing up which cannot be force quit'ed or killed by any method, and then the other applications freeze, then the dock, then the whole system needs to be hard-reset. There doesn't seem to be any kernel panic/error messages, on the screen or in the system log. From my knowledge of operating systems I would say that the applications are making system calls that get "stuck" in the kernel and never return, which is why they cannot be killed by force quit/kill -9/anything, but this is only a guess.

I don't really know how to debug the kernel, and I just wondered if anyone else he

rd of or had the same problem. It happened on 10.4.8 with semthex's latest kernels and also on 10.4.9 with netkas's and ToH kernels. I am wondering whether to buy a new motherboard, just to get a more reliable system. Note that i can run Linux x86-64 and Windows XP on the same system with no problems/freezing/crashing.

Sigmaris

I've been having the same problem, if I remember correctly this was not the case with the old Jas 10.4.8 PPF1&2 disk I last used. But then at that time I had both PATA and SATA hard drives and Jas was installed to one of my PATA drives. If you find a way to correct this issue let me know, because this is truly pissing me the :rolleyes: off.....

Right now I may have to get another mother board if this persists.... :P

Have you tried installing to a SATA drive with any of the 10.4.10 install disks floating around on the GD or Bay?

I'm tempted to pick up my old 755Dual-VSTA next time I'm back home... put all my current components on it and see if it runs :) my current PC mobo doesn't like the 8800 GTS drivers that have been made (damn nForce chipset causing problems with everything!), so I may give it a try using this to see if it works on this mobo.

Not sure it would work due to the 1333Mhz FSB CPU... and it not being listed under supported CPUs... but maybe worth a try...

Cheers,

~mac.nub

Comments on a few things.

First, I'm not sure why the kernel panic. I would imagine that it must have something to do with the kernel version, but as far as I am aware support is just fine within this patch for any CPU that you could possibly have in this mobo.

It should install on SATAs just fine. Multiple people have reported that this patch works fine for that, which the patch is only a compilation including the mmueller method that is much older and more tested. JaS could not install to SATA on this mobo. There was no 8237 support. However PATA has worked since 10.4.4.

For both issues I would suggest a BIOS update and then a good look at what your BIOS settings are and what is attached to your mobo. Assuming all 775 Dual-VSTA was created equal, there should be no reason why it shouldn't work.

mac.nub, I don't think this board supports 1333. Possibly the 4-Core does.

I hinted at this before, but now it appears that the forum has somewhat relaxed on Leopard information, so I shall say that Leopard appears to work fine on this board. We'll see what happens before it goes gold, but I see no reason why there will be any problems with Leopard.

I believe that with the release of XxX's install disc I've been put out of business for further patches, which is great to see that such a wide variety of support was incorporated into a single disc. If installer disc support is such that one can install at least to SATA with network for Leopard I will not make another patch. If either are missing I will patch the 'distro' I feel is the best equipped. I feel that you need to be able to install to SATA and have a network connection or else its rather a pain. The audio is simple enough to fix if you have a network connection.

And, for those wondering, this patch does sort of work with the 4-Core from what I have heard. However, the ATA controller is different. Its the 8237S instead of A. I hear it still installs but it is slow. The VIA Rhine driver and the audio should both work fine. I don't know what the status is of getting an 8237S chipset to work to the full, but if it is possible I would appreciate somebody who has it working to send me the kext. That way if I do make another patch I can cover both boards fully. If what I have heard is wrong about this board, please correct me. I have had a number of people ask and I can only give my best guesses since I don't own the board.

Thestevo.

You're right about the 4CoreDual.

SATA/Audio/Lan work, patch graphics with Natit is fine for me.

IDE access is incredibly slow for me and I can't work out how to fix it.

Jas, Uphuck, anything, all the same results

I can't vouch for the stability of these patches running on the 4CoreDual, but they seem to work properly except for the PATA.

Thank you for all the great work.

Thanks for the info. If I had the board I'd be willing to look into the issue. I'm sure its just a matter of setting the UDMA values. But... maybe somebody else will get it. Thankfully PATA is not that much of an issue. PATA performance with any 8237 is not the greatest on Windows when it is functioning properly, so... we'll see.

Stevo

Actually I was a little surprised.

With 4CoreDual disk tests

32bitXP - Sata around 65-75, PATA around 50-55 mbs,

Osx86 - Sata around 65-75, Pata down to around 10-12mbs

Osx86 with a patched Ali Controller - PATA back up to about 55mbs

Can't vouch for the quality of my patch on the Ali though, lol

Cheers

sorry minnie,

i have the very same problem on my 775DUAL-VSTA.

(PATA about 12mb/sec)

what is Ali controller patch? it solve PATA problem also for 775DUAL?

also for thestevo, how can i get your patched AppleVIAATA.kext out from

PPF? i need only this driver.

how can i check if UDMA is enabled on my system other then check troughput speed?

thx

Due to popular demand, and so I don't keep sending people to minnie, I'll post the patch on the bay sometime. Maybe this afternoon, I don't know. However, I won't keep seeding there. I'll seed three, and then somebody else takes it. Well, either that or I'll stop seeding on the monster. Bottom line I won't seed in two places.

Stevo

Alrighty, Now there should be plenty of options for people to get the patch. It is now on the bay and at the links below. I haven't dealt with Rapidshare yet, but thanks goes to Minnie for putting them up there. Continue to let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks,

Stevo

TheStevo/MartaMarco 10.4.8 PrePatch

http://rapidshare.com/files/61718903/10.4....75Vsta.zip.html

The 2.1 Patch

http://rapidshare.com/files/61466706/775Du..._patch.zip.html

The 4.1 patch

http://rapidshare.com/files/61719557/775Du..._patch.zip.html

Actually I was a little surprised.

With 4CoreDual disk tests

32bitXP - Sata around 65-75, PATA around 50-55 mbs,

Osx86 - Sata around 65-75, Pata down to around 10-12mbs

Osx86 with a patched Ali Controller - PATA back up to about 55mbs

Can't vouch for the quality of my patch on the Ali though, lol

Cheers

Ciao minnie,

i have also a 4coredual and my pata is around 10-12 mbs, how did you get the 55 mbs performance. Could you share how you did it.

Thank you in advance

Ciao

Honestly I'm not completely sure what the 4.1 patch is. I haven't released one. I merely copied the three links that Minnie sent me in a personal message. So I'm not sure what is in it. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious for what it is, sorry.

Stevo

Honestly I'm not completely sure what the 4.1 patch is. I haven't released one. I merely copied the three links that Minnie sent me in a personal message. So I'm not sure what is in it. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious for what it is, sorry.

Stevo

From what I remember the 4.1 is the patch for Uphuck, and I think the 2.1 is for Jas.

the pre patch is for patching Jas installer disk, going back a bit now.

Stevo, didn't you write these patches? lol

Ohhhh, ok. I know what the confusion is about here. Sorry, I understand what minnie did, which was actually correct. I just didn't realize she posted the original post-installation patch as well. I was only thinking of installer patches.

Currently there are three things that I have written. These three things are what minnie posted, I just didn't realize that because two are outdated, the original very much so.

The 4.1 is the post installation patch. This runs in the terminal after a successful installation on PATA and fixes all of the issues with the option to install Natit v0.02 as well. You have to burn it onto a CD or put it on a thumb drive because you won't have network off the install.

The pre-patch is the first PPF I released. It patches JaS 10.4.8 and did not have a version number, though I consider 1.0 if you will. It fixes all the issues and allows for SATA installation.

The 2.1 is the current PPF for Uphuck v1.3, It also fixes all the issues and allows for SATA installation.

So, definately my bad on that. Minnie was more thorough than I had considered, I didn't think anybody would want the two old ones, especially the first since it doesn't allow for SATA installation. Again, big thanks to minnie.

The 4.1 patch shouldn't have degraded performance, no matter what you had before. If you had nothing, it should have better performance. If you patched a system already patched it should be exactly the same. The same kext is used in all three packages. There have not been any improvements for 8237A controllers since we first got them working. I doubt there ever will be because the chances of Apple ever writing a VIA ATA driver again is nil. Its not even in the new releases. Fortunately, it seems to carry through to Leopard fine. Again Apple silently blesses our project by not prevent most Tiger kexts from working in Leopard. Though not a necessity of an OS update, it would have been a great opportunity to make us miserable.

I may do something for Leopard after all, especially if nobody else does it. If all we see is images of installers, I hope to release a PPF for a purchased Leopard installation DVD image. That way one can buy one in the store or online, rip the image, patch it, burn, install. Which, may or may not hold up in a court of law given the way rulings have gone regarding the stripping of DRM for the purpose of using purchased data on hardware other than it was originally intended for. (e.g. stripping itunes drm to play on zune.) Most likely I would copy the functionality of whatever other installers are out there. Granted it would be simple to produce, but I'd want one myself anyway. I intend to buy a five pack. So anyway, sorry for the off topic.

Stevo

Ciao minnie,

i have also a 4coredual and my pata is around 10-12 mbs, how did you get the 55 mbs performance. Could you share how you did it.

Thank you in advance

Ciao

Ciao Friestok,

I feel your pain. To tell you the truth I still haven't found a proper solution in terms of editing OSx kexts for the PATA on this board. Adding the device/vendor ID's and so on just don't seem to make it any better.

I have an old Ali M5283 ATA/SATA PCI adapter, once I patched the kext with it's ID it worked and the IDE speed was stunning running from it. It worked when I added the ID to the SATA section of the kext.

So...

I did a little searching on eBay and found an IDE to SATA M/B adapter, you plug it in to the back of your IDE drive and run a SATA cable from it to the to the M/B SATA port.

In my mind the PC will just think it's a SATA drive. ( I don't know if there will be any problem with transfer rates? But I expect that's what the adapter card deals with)

It was $4 Australian plus postage from China.

I'm aware this still isn't as rinky dink as getting the PATA working via kexts, and I'm waiting for the part to arrive, so haven't tested this yet. But it may just work quickly and easily.

Shall I let you know how it goes?

If you find a normal patching solution, please let me know.

Ciao Friestok,

I feel your pain. To tell you the truth I still haven't found a proper solution in terms of editing OSx kexts for the PATA on this board. Adding the device/vendor ID's and so on just don't seem to make it any better.

I have an old Ali M5283 ATA/SATA PCI adapter, once I patched the kext with it's ID it worked and the IDE speed was stunning running from it. It worked when I added the ID to the SATA section of the kext.

So...

I did a little searching on eBay and found an IDE to SATA M/B adapter, you plug it in to the back of your IDE drive and run a SATA cable from it to the to the M/B SATA port.

In my mind the PC will just think it's a SATA drive. ( I don't know if there will be any problem with transfer rates? But I expect that's what the adapter card deals with)

It was $4 Australian plus postage from China.

I'm aware this still isn't as rinky dink as getting the PATA working via kexts, and I'm waiting for the part to arrive, so haven't tested this yet. But it may just work quickly and easily.

Shall I let you know how it goes?

If you find a normal patching solution, please let me know.

Ciao Minie,

grazie, thank you very much for your answer, I will search one of this things and see if it works. I was hoping you got a solution for the kext ;)

Please let me know any news, I will do the same.

Beside this little problem my Hack runs very well, the guy of graphics working for us was kidding me when I told him about my idea about a Hack...he laughs no more after he saw how it works.

Ciao e grazie ancora

Christoph

I'm having some trouble with instability using this motherboard. Running uphuck v1.4 ir3. Seems to be related to particularly heavy disc usage. PATA xbench is low but SATA is fine.

Is there any possible solution?

Thanks,

I haven't heard any other reports of instability. Not to say that you are imagining things, just that I don't know how to diagnosis it when I can't replicate the problem. Plus, what information you gave about xbench results is not out of the ordinary. Maybe give me a rundown of hardware.

Stevo

For those having slow speeds on their sata/ata controller, here's what I found and did to fix mine. It worked for me and hope for you as well. This is for the 4coredual mboard.

Open the AppleVIAATA.kext package and edit the SATA section (drag to desktop and later replace the original one)

Add 522910b9 to the SATA section of AppleVIAATA.kext.

Open the package IOFamily.kext

remove AppleGenericPCATA.kext from IOFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIN

and finally repair permissions in Disk Utility.

Just to be on the safe side, delete the following files (not sure if this is necessary):

/System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

The ata drives will now appear in the sata section, but who cares, they're running UDMA.

Good luck.

I've tried to upload my kexts, but can't get them to stick. What's the trick?

Haha, frankly? Using rapidshare or bittorrent.

Just so I'm clear, you weren't experiencing any instability though, were you? And, how fast are you running now?

Thanks,

Stevo

here they are: http://rapidshare.com/files/63463988/via_udma_kexts.tgz

Well, I got some old drives, udma5 - 80 gig, doing around 40mb's a sec. Stable as a rock.

Another tip for those wanting to run newer kernels on their board, make sure to select no-hpet! or amd kernels. This was the only way for me to get for example Leopard 9a527 installed (amd kernel) and the 8.10.3 (no-hpet) on Tiger running. I guess the Via chipset on or board requires AMD support on the kernel, anything else hardboots the pc. A stable 8.10.3 is also to be found here : http://rapidshare.com/files/63466940/8.10....___775_dual.tgz

have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

To get SATA to work on Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 you must edit a kext file and Change the Bios options to RAID

See here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?aut...blogid=150&

Via VT8237S Sata Controller Device ID 0x7372

Add it into AppleVIAATA.kext (its only a part of the AppleVIAATA.kext)

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>8237 SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x73721106 0x522910B9 0x528810B9 0x528910B9 0x528710B9 0x31491106 0x00e310de 0x005410de 0x005510de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

Thanks Olmirror for boosting up the IDE. Here olmirror´s kext with edited viaata for Sata Support.

http://i786.de/transfer/Important-OSX86_cr...e-DualSATA2.zip